Question No Dolby Digital output from a Yamaha VS-10

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by AdamBrunt, Sep 3, 2018.

1. AdamBrunt

AdamBrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help with the above problem.

I have several pieces of AV kit which all connect to an HDMI switch (via HDMI) which then connects to the TV (via HDMI) and to a VS-10 (via a digital optical cable). The service manual can be found at YAMAHA VS-10 SERVICE MANUAL Pdf Download.

However, for some time now I have noticed that the VS-10 no longer claims to be outputting Dolby Digital nor DTS. Back when I first got the amp (and it was connected to a DVD player via digital optical cable) it was definitely outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 AND DTS

The manual says the following 'programmes/effects' should be available:
    1. VIRTUAL SURROUND (input source: Dolby Digital, Dolby Surround or DTS)
    2. DOLBY DIGITAL (input source: Dolby Digital) / DOLBY PRO LOGIC (input source: Dolby Surround) / DTS (input source: DTS)
    3. DIGITAL MOVIE THEATER (input source: Dolby Digital) / 70mm MOVIE THEATER (input source: Dolby Surround) / DTS MOVIE THEATER (input source: DTS)
    4. GAME
    5. HALL
    6. CONCERT
    7. SPORTS
    But when I loop round the effects I only see the bolded items suggesting ( to my newbie brain) that that amp doesn't think it is getting (or can output ??) a Dolby Digital source.

What I can't work out is where the problem is.

It is possible that the source isn't supplying a DD 5.1 signal [ the source is mainly Kodi, on a Raspberry Pi, set up to passthrough the audio via HDMI - playing files with 5.1 AC3 audio ]. Are there different types of DD 5.1 audio codecs ? But then Netflix with an Dolby Digital 6 channel audio stream doesn't output the sound properly either.

Does anyone know where I can find a true DD 5.1 / DTS sample movie file which I could use as a test ?

But could it also be a problem with the switch or even the amp ? ie is there a separate PCB on the amp that handles DD / DTS inputs which has blown for example ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Not sure what I have changed but I have at least now got the amp to indicate that is getting both a DDIGITAL or DTS signal :) However, the test file I am using - TEST TOOL Ac3 Dolby Digital 5.1Ch Sound Test - Woofer and Bass Test - is not making any noise in the either of the rears (and possibly the center) and only making a low noise via the sub [ which indicates, to me, a problem with the sub ?? ]. But when I use the amp's built in test then I get noise from all 5 speakers ??!!??

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018