No dolby digital or dts from lg ln5400 optical

drumvan

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, first post here. :)

i just purchased an lg ln5400 tv. it has hdmi in and digital optical sound out.

here's my system, hdmi from att u-verse into ln5400 tv. optical out to harmon kardon avr110 receiver. sony bdp s-3100 blu ray hdmi into ln5400 tv. i also have coaxial out from blu ray to hk receiver.

my problem is that just having the hdmi from the blu-ray to the tv and the optical out to the receiver does not give me a dolby digital or dts 5.1 signal. it maxes out on the receiver as dolby pro logic. dolby digital and dts are not able to be selected. i can only get those by switching to the coax input. that means that anything broadcast from u-verse (or on demand content) can't be listened to with dolby digital or dts 5.1.

shouldn't the hdmi to optical out pathway allow dolby digital and dts on the receiver? is this a problem with the tv optical output or the receiver optical input?

thanks

Most TV's don't output Dolby Digital on the optical output, and as for DTS- even less likely. Don't know about audio out HDMI ARC from TV's.

The Blu-ray player needs a digital connection direct to the Receiver to get DTS/Dolby digital. Most TV's that I am aware of do not pass 5.1 from a HDMI input to a optical output.

As above it is highly likely your TV will not pass the DD/DTS from the HDMI input to its HDMI output. Since the TV is a stereo destination the HDMI handshake with the source will limit the sound to stereo which would be another reason why you would not get DD/DTS 5.1 from the optical output of the TV.

thanks all.

i'm guessing that's why all the new a/v receivers have hdmi inputs. you route all your component inputs to the receiver first and then just send the hdmi video to the tv. was hoping to avoid having to invest in a new receiver. i like my hk avr110.

That is correct. The current convention would be HDMI to receiver and then receiver to TV. Does the u-verse have an optical or coaxial output? If so then use that direct to the receiver.

i think the u-verse box might an optical out. if it does then i'll be good to go. thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom