1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No DD or DTS

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Ajax, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Ajax

Ajax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

I have just bought an ASUS motherboard. It has onbaord SPDIF out. Now try as I might I cannot get DD or DTS out of my Denon 2803 Reciever. I can get stereo but not surround. I have Zoomplayer and have been through every screen to check that the SPDIF is outputting the digital signal.

I may have narrowed the search down though. On the back of my Samsung DVD drive there are 4 sockets. I have cables connected to 3 of these the one on the left has no cable in it as I have not got a cable that will fit in it. The one that was supplied with the drive does not fit. It is a 2 pin connector on the DVD Drive but the cable supplied has 4 pins.

Help??

Ajax.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital sound is carried through the PCI bus (or in your case, on the mainboard itself) so you don't need any adittional cable to connect to your DVD drive.

Most likely you've not enabled SPDIF pasthrough either in one of your mainboard's settings or your DVD software player.

:smoke:

3. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    seen this b4, i would remove zoomplayer, then the sound drivers, reboot machine reload sound drivers, then use powerdvd or windvd or theatertek, set these up to output via spdif (set up souncard to do this also), then you will see if you are getting dd/dts, a mate had the same problem as you and it turned out to be a specific version of zoomplayer

4. Ajax

Ajax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers,

I am using the SPDIF on the ASUS motherboard. How do I set this to passthrough? I have tried every possible config but nothing works. I will try the zoomplayer uninstall later.

Cheers,

Ajax.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Download a trial version of PowerDVD or WinDVD. There's an option there of "SPDIF passthrough".

At least you'll then know if it's a mainboard setting rather than DVD software issue.

What filters/decoders are you currently using with Zoomplayer? I assume one of those I've already mentioned or Theatretek? As mentioned, some versions of Zoomplayer don't cope too well with forcing SPDIF output from the DVD audio decoders.

:smoke:

6. Ajax

Ajax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Kramer,

Just sorted it! I installed ac3filter and set that to passthrough on SPDIF and the amp automatically switched to DD EX!! Happy days. Still use ZP and the quality is superb!! :clap:

Thanks to all those that offered advice.

Ajax.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you got it sorted :thumbsup: