No connection to internet on start up.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I turn everything off ( TV , Xbox PS5 .amp) when i go leave the house or go to bed all at the mains plug,
but im having an issue with the new xbox that i pick up last week
When i turn it on , i have no connection to the internet- i have to restart the console or sometimes unplug the ethernet cable to get it to work !
surely this can't be right ?

An other question im guessing it is fine to turn the console off at the mains?
it doesn't have to have power on all the time dose it ?

Yes , long press on the X button on the controller then turn off console.

It should be fine to turn off but you may well be greeted with large updates for games when you turn it back on.

I can't help with the internet connection issue though I'm afraid.

personally i dont turn anything off at the mains. My xbox does updates during the night and my tv does compensation cycles

I turn everything off ( TV , Xbox PS5 .amp) when i go leave the house or go to bed all at the mains plug,
but im having an issue with the new xbox that i pick up last week
When i turn it on , i have no connection to the internet- i have to restart the console or sometimes unplug the ethernet cable to get it to work !
surely this can't be right ?

An other question im guessing it is fine to turn the console off at the mains?
it doesn't have to have power on all the time dose it ?

...surely the simple solution is to not turn off at the mains and just turn the console off via the power button (if this keeps your internet connection intact) ?

Its not like turning everything off every night will save pennies is it?

...surely the simple solution is to not turn off at the mains and just turn the console off via the power button (if this keeps your internet connection intact) ?

Its not like turning everything off every night will save pennies is it?

There could be another legit reason, but I agree if it's to prevent the cost of the standby power you might as well not bother. Unless you are one of those that glues yourself to a motorway ;)

I have turned everything off- and have down for years , ( well over 20 years having my own home )
so it's not even thought of saving pennies, as way back then - there was no need ,
it's a bit of a habit i guess

Having said that , i have no issues with the TV, PS5 , Nvidia shield or the amp losing connection
strange for the Xbox to do it ?

What sleep mode is set in your XBox?
Energy saver or Standby?
If the latter then the XBox isn't fully shutdown when you are powering it off (unless you are choosing Full shut-down from Settings - Sleep mode & startup)

Turn off console is just putting it to sleep.

Even Energy saver isn't expecting to be turned off at the mains (which us why there is Full shut-down), so may not reinitialise the network fully.
Repeated powering off when not shutdown could lead to potential system corruption too, if the XBox happens to be doing something at the time (which it can do while sleeping, even in Energy Saver)

Suggest you try a Full shut-down next time, and see if network works after powering off overnight.

What sleep mode is set in your XBox?
Energy saver or Standby?
If the latter then the XBox isn't fully shutdown when you are powering it off (unless you are choosing Full shut-down from Settings - Sleep mode & startup)

Turn off console is just putting it to sleep.

Even Energy saver isn't expecting to be turned off at the mains (which us why there is Full shut-down), so may not reinitialise the network fully.
Repeated powering off when not shutdown could lead to potential system corruption too, if the XBox happens to be doing something at the time (which it can do while sleeping, even in Energy Saver)

Suggest you try a Full shut-down next time, and see if network works after powering off overnight.
I'm sure its set to full shut down !
Did have it on one setting where it resumes straight away ( that was even after turning the power off at the mains) when I 1st got the console
But changed the setting so it shuts down fully and takes well over 30 seconds to boot up ( with xbox logo showing)

I'm sure its on full shut down ( will have to check) but still get the no connection on start up.

Full shut-down is a different option, not a type of sleep mode.
Turn off console only puts it to sleep (into either energy saver or standby).

To turn off completely you have to go into menus and choose Full shut-down from Settings - Sleep mode & startup
You have to do this every time you want to fully shut down

Full shut-down is a different option, not a type of sleep mode.
Turn off console only puts it to sleep (into either energy saver or standby).

To turn off completely you have to go into menus and choose Full shut-down from Settings - Sleep mode & startup
You have to do this every time you want to fully shut down
Thank you
I'll try this and see if it makes any difference

I turn everything off since the fuel prices increases, when I switch it back on it does take a few seconds to reconnect to the net, maybe you should leave it to just sort itself out? It might just be taking a while.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom