1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No component output on my DVD player!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Grand Dizzy, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm very happy with my DVD player, despite only paying £35 for it last year.

But I'm buying a component lead to hook up to my plasma and I just looked and there's no component output!

Am I going to have to upgrade? Are players with component expensive? Are there any other features I should looking for in a DVD player for my HC system? (I'm buying amp/speakers separately.) All advice appreciated, thanks.

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    You can get players for just £30 with component. However, whether the picture is any good is another matter. I saw a £27.99 with both NTSC/PAL progressive scan and component and the picture was appalling using a projector.

If money is tight, the Pioneer DV370 is just £68.49 from Amazon and is multi region. It is a cracker of a player and a cheaper alternative to the popular DV470/DV575. It also has progressive scan.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B00027YIHC/customer-reviews/026-7527907-8230816

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Don't necessarily knock the cheaper players both the budget Toshiba and Pioneer that are being raved about in some of the magazines use the same mediatek chipset as used in many unknown brand models. Mediatek basically write a standard firmware for all dvd players that use their chipsets and it is only customised to fit the exact specs of the finished model. Most of this is related to licensing. I.e. the firmware won't enable dts decoding unless the manufacture is paying royalties for this. The component output of these players is created directly by the SOC mediatek chip and has not much in the way of processing done before it gets to the component output sockets (remember dvd movies are stored in component form) so its unlikely there will be a lot of difference between different models that use the same chipset at least for component and progressive scan output. Composite and S-video is another matter though where carefully designed circuitry using exacting tolerances can improve the picture on these lower quality outputs immensively.

The Toshiba 330 was raved about some time ago but when I compared it to the output of a Compacks DVD5000 cheapy using an AE100 projector the Toshiba was worse and suffered much more with low bitrate dvds.

As the OP has a plasma he probably wants something with fine colour gradiance to minimise any plasma colour stepping effects. The newer low cost dvd players based on the mediatek 1389 chipset have 12bit Colour sampling and interpolation and some good picture enhancing algorithms. I bought a skyworth divx dvd player for less than £25 (using a £5 off voucher) but sadly that doesn't have component output. Maybe you can find something similar with component output around the £40 mark or pay the extra £30 to get a Pioneer, Philips or Toshiba rebranded/restyled chinese cheapie. As long as its got a Mediatek 1389 chipset you've got a dvd player with one of the most advanced and latest generation dvd decoding chips installed.

4. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks to both of you!

Bonzo, you really seem to know your stuff. Perhaps you can answer another question I have...

I've always wondered how it is possible for different DVD players to provide different quality output, since everything is digital? I mean, all they're doing is reading a disc, so unless they're actually leaving out information they read on the disc, how can any model be worse than any other model? And if some players leave out information – which models leave out nothing? I want one of them!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    GRand Dizzy they are not all digital the biggest part of PQ comes from the digital to analogue conversion which happens many times between a scene in a film and light hitting you eyes.....

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    It depends mainly on how good the Video DAC's are and what it does with the information afterwards.

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    There are so many variables but perversely the lower quality outputs are the most varied and the higher quality outputs the most uniform because the lower quality outputs are the most processed.

DVD chipsets are also improving just like PC chipsets. They get faster and can therefore process more information and give better results. Often this years cheapie can outperform last year's mid range model and this years mid range model can outperform last years top end model etc.

The first generation dvd players only had enough power to decode and playback dvd movies as was stored on the dvd. Nowadays they can take off the data, analyse and process it to enhance colour and resolution and even clean up the image.

DVD processing chips are basically computers or systems on a chip (SOC). They normally have a ARM or MIPS risc processing core plus optimised routines for processing mpeg data.

If programmed to do so they would be fairly good at running games. I'm sure someone clever enough could write a Archimedes emulator for arm based dvd processing chips or even a playstation emulator for mips based dvd processing chips (this might be stretching the truth I suppose as the dvd player doesn't have a 3D graphics chipset).

So there are really two stages with dvd players. What the SOC chip does and what the external circuitry outside of it does with the SOC output.

The best dvd player will have the very latest and best SOC chip and also have very high standard components and circuit design to enable the best quality signal output.

Its my own believe that the technology of the SOC fitted is more important than the other circuitry. However that doesn't mean I negate the benefits of more carefully manufactured products.