No Colour when capturing from VHS to PC

J

jackiert

I have connected my VHS recorder directly to my pc using scart with an input and output switch. I have also connected using S-Video lead but find that even though I can get picture and sound, there is no colour. I am using Ulead VideoStudio 7 and have adjusted the configuration accordingly ie to PAL, but no matter what I choose there is no colour. I even tried connecting my DV camcorder, but the image I get on the camcorder is also black and white. Is it possible the scart connection or should I trying using the firewire connection also? Please help!!!

The reason for the black & white picture is the S-Video connection. Only an SVHS VCR will be able to output the video on an S-Video lead. A standard VHS VCR will only put a B&W picture over S-Video because the colour and picture (chrominance & luminance) parts of the signal are on different cables, but the VHS VCR can not split them. Therefore the colour part of the video signal that the S-Video input is expecting will be missing on the chrominance cable and ignored from the luminance cable. To get a colour picture from the VHS VCR you will need to connect a composite lead into the PC, if it has one, or convert the composite to S-Video with a converter.

Mark.

MarkE19 said:
The reason for the black & white picture is the S-Video connection. Only an SVHS VCR will be able to output the video on an S-Video lead. A standard VHS VCR will only put a B&W picture over S-Video because the colour and picture (chrominance & luminance) parts of the signal are on different cables, but the VHS VCR can not split them. Therefore the colour part of the video signal that the S-Video input is expecting will be missing on the chrominance cable and ignored from the luminance cable. To get a colour picture from the VHS VCR you will need to connect a composite lead into the PC, if it has one, or convert the composite to S-Video with a converter.

Mark.
Many thanks for your response. I have now connected using a composite lead instead of using S-Video, but I am still getting black and white. What am I doing wrong

Did you ever fix this? I think your problem is that Ulead is set up for NTSC, not PAL. There's an 'obvious' option where you can choose PAL, but there's another one buried much deeper down in the menu system that you also have to choose. Unfortunately, I no longer use Ulead and don't have it in front of me - but I had your problem, and fixed it this way. Interestingly, after following advice almost identical to what you've already received (which, under other circumstances, would have been spot on).

Ian in Northamp said:
Did you ever fix this? I think your problem is that Ulead is set up for NTSC, not PAL. There's an 'obvious' option where you can choose PAL, but there's another one buried much deeper down in the menu system that you also have to choose. Unfortunately, I no longer use Ulead and don't have it in front of me - but I had your problem, and fixed it this way. Interestingly, after following advice almost identical to what you've already received (which, under other circumstances, would have been spot on).

I would also like to fix this. I'm using a Pinnacle PCI TV tuner which tunes into the TV fine. It also records video OK through the coax antena connection. I too get B&W recordings through the svideo cable.

Just got back from my three week holiday and am going to have another look at the settings. I have already tried adjusting the setting from NTSC to PAL and vice versa but this has made difference. I will see if I can find this other setting that that you mentioned might be available deeper within the menu option. I even went into Maplins and spoke to someone who said it sounded as though I had done everything correctly. He suggested re-tuning the VCR itself.

OK, I looked up my notes on this and here's what I did to make it work:

1. Go to the Capture tab.
2. Click on Options on left hand side.
3. From drop down list choose Video Capture Filter.
4. Click on Image tab.
5. Should see Pal/NTSC options. Hopefully because you are in
Black and White it should be set to NTSC. Change to PAL and hopefully
you are on your way.

Note that I was using Ulead VideoStudio 6 - I hope it's similar for you. Cheers, Ian.

Hi, I am using Ulead VideoStudio 7 DVD so the options are slightly different as below:-

1. Click on Capture tab
2. Click on Options
3. Select Video Capture Property Settings
4. Under video input the TV system is already set to PAL
5. Input source is set to Video Composite

but I am still getting black and white. Not sure if it has anything to do with the connection. I am using Hauppauge WinTV USB Live Pro Audio which has S-Video and also a Composite connection. I have connected to the video using a scart connection with typical red/yellow/white connector and have then plugged the yellow connector at the other end into the Hauppauge WinTV USB Live Pro Audio connection. For additional info the make of the VCR is a Panasonic NV-SJ220 NTSC P.B. on PAL TV. Do you think the above might have anything to do with my problem as the settings on the software appear to be correct.

jackiert,

Are you now saying you have an NTSC VCR ??? - is the tape your playing NTSC ??? if it is PAL then that is why your getting black and white capture - if the tape is NTSC then you should be selecting the NTSC settings in UVS7 - NOT PAL. your settings in UVS MUST match your source settings - but a PAL tape played in an NTSC VCR will only give a colour picture on a compatible TV - not on any other equipment.

BJC,

The VCR can play both PAL and NTSC. The tape that I am interesting in capturing is in PAL format so the settings on the actual software I have set to PAL. Even when a play a NTSC tape and change the settings appropriately on the software itself I still get a black and white picture. So what do I do now. A frustrated Jackiert

Just a thought, are there any settings for the video card that you may need to play with?

If your VCR is an NTSC VCR that can play PAL tapes the chances are that it is still outputting an NTSC signal. It is most likely doing a basic PAL>NTSC conversion.
Although my PAL VCR is rated as being able to play an NTSC recording the playback quality is fairly poor. I think the reason for the poor quality is that the conversion is done as analogue and the results are never very good and only compatable for replay and not recording. I have seen a cheap standards converter that was analogue and is stated in its description as not being compatable for recording, but only play back which is why I think the VCR could be the same.

Mark.

I am experiencing the same problem. I have a all UK devices, a PAL Daewoo VCR and a Fujitsu Siemens laptop with USB2.0 ports.
I choose any set-up options and get only B&W, no colour! Has anyone worked out how to fix this yet?

OKay. For some reason after 2 months of trying, the using Composite Video option has worked!!
I set up to I420 but any compression seems to now gives colour. Set video options to PAL and composite video. Oh and I removed the S-VHS lead. Putting only the composite lead into the VIDEO IN port.

Anyway. I'm no solved - good luck to the rest of you!!

cheers

I remembered I was given a £50.00 voucher for my birthday so I went into PC World and purchased Adaptec Videoh DVD Video Converter Kit and at last I have colour with no problem whatsoever. So it was obviously the hardware/software I was using. I have just capture my wedding video onto DVD and the quality is really great. I am really pleased with my purchase and am on a role now. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Hello there, I seem to be a bit late but I have the same problem.
I use a Toshiba PAL/SECAM vcr it can play both dvds and vhs. The reference is SD 24-VE if I am correct. I live in france so the standard is SECAM L. When I play DVDs trough the USB cap thingy it works fine. Some VHS outputs color correctly, some with green lines and flickering when there's a lot of colours, some just black and white. I have no idea why ? I've tried rca directly and euroscart to rca and euroscart to s-video and always black and white. On tv using anything it works perfectly... Any solution ? Maybe the region of recorded tape isn't SECAM L but I tried a few things and nothing worked. Thanks in advance : )

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom