1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No colour on connection to CRT TV

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Snash, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LCD TV I've ordered is out of stock and I won't get it for a few weeks now. Worth the wait coz of price and free five year warranty tho' :)

Meanwhile I thought I'd try to connect mt MCE box to my Hitachi TV - bog standard 26" CRT with two SCARTS at back and S-VID connection at front panel.

I got a cable with s-vid, red and white audio going into a SCART connection. Plugged it together and hey presto the thing actually worked after I'd tuned in say Channel 7 on the TV to AV1 but....no colour. I tried on AV2 in dedicated s-vhs and AV1 on dedicated RGB (I don't think I actually have RGB output) but still no joy. AV1 gave me B&W too and RGB gave me a deep red.

Everything else works fine and the picture pretty much fits the tv. I'm guessing it's something in the settings but when I switch to desktop it's almost unreadable due to restricted resolution of TV.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
    Snash

2. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Sorry mate, not much help but im sure someone else will be able ellaborate.

I seem to remember a few weeks ago someone asking a similar question. I remember (badly!) that there are Svid Cables and there are cheap/badly made Svid cables. There was some long jargon in the posts about composite this and that but suffice to say it seemed to be linked with Svid to Scart conversion.

I myself have a Benq projector, if I use the Svid cable (1 meter long) I got with it then all is good from my decoder devices. If I use one I picked up at Matalan (5 Meters long), it all comes out black n white.

Sorry, not much use but as I say, someone else might get nudged by this and give you proper details.

Good luck!

3. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Monty Burns, someone had warned me about that before I got the cables so I made sure I got quality ones.

Managed to sort the problem. Set up another monitor so I could actually see the windows desktop, went into Catalyst and it turned out the country settings were on USA - i.e. NTSC. Switched to UK - PAL - and hey presto full colour:)