No clue about ohms (new speakers)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Glow stick, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Glow stick

Glow stick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi there, I have a denon Udra-90 receiver stereo. I had denon speakers 6ohms, 87dm, 70 watts speakers which have now packed in. I now need some new speakers but ive heard different amount of ohms is a problem? On the receiver it says "8ohms min" but i have had 6 ohm speakers wired into it not in a specfic way like parrallell or whatever ... jus one speaker into 2 slots and the other into the other 2 slots and it works fine. Would i have to get the same ohm speakers next time? or could i use 8? Could i use less than this? I dont have a clue about the different ways of wiring so i would preffer just to replicate how these ones are wired.

Sorry for the newbness lol

Thanks

2. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    6 Ohm or 8 Ohm should be fine, in fact a decent amp should be able to drive 4 Ohm speakers. Basically, if you halve the resistance (8 down to 4 Ohm) the amp has to work twice as hard to maintain the same level. A good amp will have enough in reserve, but if you do as low as 4 Ohm go easy on the volume.

Your wiring sounds fine, just make sure you connect black to black and red to red.

Chris

3. Glow stick

Glow stick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the help, i was looking at these CS-3070 - Features - Pioneer Speakers - Audio - Video think these would be suitable?, looks like they have abit more power 120w rather than 70 as the amp was far too powerful for the speakers which i had which is probs why they messed up. If not has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

4. Glow stick

Glow stick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Actually the pioneers i posted the link to are too big, im looking for just some 2 way bookshelf speakers by the looks.
    Thanks