1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No closer to choosing a plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by workshy, Nov 7, 2004.

1. workshy

workshy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks to all who have been patient and helped me so far, but remain a bit confused and stuck with respect to which plasma to choose.

I probably going to get the Denon AVR-2805 and the Panasonic F65MR dvd player to replace existing hifi components.

All that's really left is the screen and how to connect it.

I watch mainly sky sports and dvds but SWMBO watches lots of channels. I also have a PS2 and an Xbox to connect.

Not sure whether I want to go down the TV Plasma or Display route.

Not sure if I need HD or not - would be nice to future-proof after all would rather save for another few months and get the right screen

Also getting confused about boards to plug in to some screens and whether a JS Tech converter would improve football viewed on the screen through sky?

Am thinking of around £2-3k but would like to spend as wisely as possible and would consider more for the right 42"/43" product.

Any ideas? Thanks for any advice

2. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    OK, for my view (I'm sure you will get many more..)

If you only use SKY for TV viewing there is no need to purchase a plasma TV since all the TV will come through the SKY box.

The 2805 will upconvert signals to component so all you *really* need is component board for the your plasma display (I would assume a PW6 - HD compatable, PW7 not).

I would then plug sky in the following way...

for video (my cost a bit extra this but worth it)
    sky -> scart -> js tech scart / component convertor -> component cable -> 2805

for audio
    optical out (SKY+?) for optical in on 2805

Then you can connect you XBOX / PS2 into either svideo or composite (or buy a component kit for XBOX / PS2(?) ). The amp will automatically upconvert these signals into component.

You simply hook up your 2805 to your plasma via component cables.

It's worth spending extra pennies on scart cables and component cables.

It's also worth noting that all sound, this includes normal tv viewing, will come through your speaker system.

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Although...

I wouldn't go with the F65. Better choice would be the Denon 1910 (or 2910 / 3910 for audio), in which case a DVI connection would be good.

With Sky+, it would be worth considering S-Video into the 2805, and component out.

4. workshy

workshy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks

Want the F65 because SWMBO wants a multi disc changer for audio and this would remove the current DVD player we have as well - clearing more space

Also don't have Sky+ but Sky - does this change anything

Isn't the PW6 an SD screen and so even if it can handle the HD input, I won't get the full benefit of it? Doesn't that make the PW7 a better bet?

How many input boards can these screens handle?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    workshy

With your indicated budget you can put a nice package together built around a Pioneer 43MXE1 or the NEW Panasonic TH-42PHD7B Plasma Display's - both are 1024x768 so more HD ready than the 852x480 PWD screens your also considering.

If DVD playback is important you may want to rethink the player you've listed - why not get a stand alone CD multi-changer if that's a function you require.

Connect your SKY+ box via a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter to a Component Input on the AV Receiver and your PS2 and X-Box can also be Input as Component signals (Component cable sets are available for both).

A single Component cable set from your AV Receiver to either Plasma Display and you'll be sorted (you'll require a TY-42TM6AB Component Board in the PHD7) - any 'secondary' video sources can connect to your AV Receiver as Composite or S-Video and the AV Receiver up-converts these signals so you can 'see' them via the Component Output.

If you go with a DVD player that has Component out the system can still be configured so that everything goes via the AV Receiver and if you go with an HDMI or DVI equipped player you simply require an additional Input board on the PHD7 (TY-FB7HM) - at this time the Pioneer MXE1 is not compatible with HDMI and or DVI with HDCP sources.

Any questions please shout.

Joe

6. workshy

workshy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for info

I don't have Sky+ but a very old Pace Sky Box - it does have RGB Scart out so assume that can be connected to the JS Tech box.

Is this the panny screen you recommended http://www.ivojo.co.uk/panasonic-th-42phd7.htm and again http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42phd7_plasma.html

I think it has space for 3 component boards. I can add the HDMI board at a later date and get a free composite(?) board for now that will do what I need?

So I make that around £2.5k for the screen, £125 for the stand (need it on a unit not on wall - SWMBO!!) and maybe a different DVD player.

If I add the speakers listed on the Av-Sales website can I also bypass the amp at times to just run the sky box through the display and watch like a normal TV??

Probably asking dumb questions...!

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    workshy

01. Composite vs. Component - quite different signals so don't mix them up or you wont have the connectivity you require.

02. SKY or SKY+ - makes no difference to the Video Connectivity whichever 'generation' of Digibox you have; though SKY+ does have a 5:1 Digital Audio out so worth considering if you watch a lot of movies via SKY.

03. TH-42PHD7B Video Inputs - as you suggest there are three 'expansion' slots in the chassis of the display. You can populate the expansion slots as required with a selection of Digital and Analogue video boards (there are actually 12 boards listed for the 7 Series displays - though not all of them are relevant in the Home Theatre market).

04. TH-42PHD7B Stereo Audio - as you suggest the display has a set of optional loudspeakers and in-built stereo audio amplifier; though you'll have to plan your connectivity carefully if you want to use Stereo via the Display + Surround Sound via your AV Receiver.

05. TY-ST05-K Pedestal Stand - works well and looks quite neat. If you require to mount a Centre Channel loudspeaker directly below the display then you may want to consider something like an SMS Table Stand. Its a bit more money but is height adjustable so more flexible for some.

Best regards

Joe

PS If you require a PDF on the 7 Series displays drop me a PM.

8. workshy

workshy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Joe

Thanks for the info:

1) You are right, I did mean component - that will deal with the output from the Denon
    2) Am considering the upgrade to sky+ but waiting for the new larger HDD version
    3) Other than the component board, I think the only one I need is the HDMI (eventually). Could I connect sky+ via the svideo and audio RCA board so that i can watch sky just through the screen (like a normal tv) with the onboard speakers, and also via the amp via RGB scart to give me surround sound when I want it?
    4) any suggestions how to do so (other than the above?
    5) Like the look of the sms stand you recommended - will give that serious thought

Also, what surround sound speakers would you recommend on a budget of say £200 - only thinking 5.1

Thanks

9. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I wouldn't really bother at that price - £200 is really scraping the barrel for 5 speakers + sub.

Your overall budget seems to be large enough to at least double the amount for speakers, at which point you could consider something like the Sony Pascal (5.1), or Mission FS1s (6.1).

Neither are great, but can be used to good effect (for TV/movies), and are quite discrete. I currently use the FS1s (£360), and they are enjoyable - but I leave music to a much more sophisticated setup ;)

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Workshy

SKY+ via the S-Video plus Stereo Audio Out on the Digibox will be ideal as your 'TV' signal.

As Graham suggests I think your looking for the impossible if you want a 'real' 5:1 system to match the Plasma Display for £200.00.

If you have other plans for 5:1 and simply want to use something other than the optional TY-SP42PW5-K side mount speakers attached to the Display for Stereo playback I'd look at utilising an active sub that has 'speaker level' inputs plus a pair of satellites to give you 2:1 that you can control from the Display's volume control when you don't want your full blown 5:1 system fired up.

Best regards

Joe

11. Hyp3rion

Hyp3rion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hijack the thread but will there be a 37" version of the TH-42PHD7B that is also HD?

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hyp3rion

No plans that I know of for an HD version of the 37" Display - certainly not in the 7 Series range.

Best regards

Joe

13. workshy

workshy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have been told that the Panasonic new model (TH-42PHD7B) has yet not been released in the UK (expected earliest in Jan). Some retailers are selling the European version which is not covered in warranty by UK Panasonic. Is this true?

Also what is the difference between the PHD and PWD versions?

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello workshy

I think some dealers may have the wrong end of the stick.

The TH-42PWD7B (852x480) is not due for UK release until Jan 04 - though it may arrive slightly earlier that that if they run out of PWD6 sooner than expected.

The TH-42PHD7B (1024x768) is due any time now as is the TH-50PHD7B (1366x768) ; in fact the TH-50PHD7BS (Silver) is available now.

The 'B' after the 7 in the product codes demote these are UK stock - if they were European they would have an 'E' after the 7.

UK (B)stock is covered by a One Year 'On site' warranty whilst European (E) stock is covered by a One Year 'Return to Manufacture' warranty - you pay any transport cost involved in servicing it under warranty.

Not all 'dealers' are actual Panasonic Dealers - so yes some folk do take in stock from Distributors who 'grey import' European stock - dealers like myself who do hold a Panasonic Dealership would loose our Dealer status pretty smartish if we were found to be selling Imported stock.

Apart from the obvious lack of pixels in a PWD (852x480) the PHD (1024x768) also has superior video processing.

Best regards

Joe