1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Chapters on Pioneer 530 HDD recordings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GadgetObsessed, Jul 16, 2005.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    I have been recording from Sky+ onto the HDD of my Pioneer 530. However, these
    recordings have no chapter markers within them. Instead its just one long chapter so if I press “Next” it just jumps to the end of the recording.

Within the Initial Setup Menu I have set the “Auto Chapter” option to “10 minutes” and the “HDD Recording Format” to “Video Mode On” – is there something else that I am missing?

When I copy to DVD the recording does seem to be split into multiple titles – around the ratio change switches – which seem to coincide with ad breaks. Is there any way when watching a recording of jumping to the next title?

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    'Auto-chapters' are not possible during HDD or DVD recording or during High-speed copy to DVD.
    They can only be set in real-time copying to DVD.
    I did a long post on various aspects of copying and aspect ratio switching some time ago: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157301

N.B. I think the LP/SP MN groups may be different on the 530 from the x20 range. The table is at the back of the manual.

3. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    eddyad - thanks for that.

To me then auto chapters seems rather useless. I would just like to be able to jump around a recording easily. This is especially important to me as I use Sky+ copy facility so often have long (over 4 hours) single recordings on the HDD. I know that that I can ff/rw or enter a time to jump to but that just seems rather clumsy. Having a chapter every 10 mins would also help me set edit points. I can edit out entire titles but I often want to set edit point within titles e.g. last night I wanted to set an edit point 5 mins from the end of a 2 hour title. The only way I could get there was to ff through 1h 55m of that title. (or jump repeatedly using advert skip) I couldn't even go
    backwards 5 mins from the start of the next title.

Is there any way when watching/setting edit points in a HDD recording you can jump to the next title? (I know that I can see the titles in the copy list when I copy from HDD to DVD but that isn't much help.) Alternatively is there any way of easily setting chapters at the start or end of each title?

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you have a series of separate titles on your HDD, then you can jump from one to another with the Prev/Next button - You press twice to get to the next/prev title. But the jump is always to the beginning.

There is no easy way to put a series of chapter marks in a HDD recording. other than by using the Edit facilities. I have a 420 so don't know the 530 process. For some reason Pioneer removed the Chapter Mark button (which the 20 series had) from the remote of the 530. But it was still a manual process.

If you press Skip in quick succession it will get to a 10 min skip (7 presses), I guess you've discovered that.

There is one solution - bit clumsy:
    I have a Maxview 5-in-1 remote (about £13 at Wilkinsons) and I progarmmed the Aux2 device to operate many 420 functions. I've set a Macro button to do 4 skips, 2 mins, in quick succession. then two presses gets through most commercial breaks - they tend to be 4 mins now. So I guess you could program it to do 7 skips. Then every time you pressed the Mac button on the remote it would do 10 mins.
    It's a bit messy setting it up but it works OK.
    As there are two macro buttons you could have one go forwards 10 mins and the other back 3 mins (the max allowed).

As the Maxview simulates successive presses of the Pioneer Skip, you see the Skip period build up on the TV screen. So if you move the remote out of the line of fire a bit smartish, you could get any period you like up to 10 mins. I use it easily for 30 secs, 1 min or 2 mins from my 2 min macro.

If you want details of how/what I made the Maxview do I'll send them to you.

5. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Eddyad – thanks for all your help with this.

My aim is simply to copy a list of programs from Sky+ to the HDD of the DVD recorder. I was then hoping to quickly split the recording up into 2 hour chunks for high speed copy to DVD.

At first I was impressed in that the Pioneer splits the recording into separate titles according to the aspect ratio switches. Generally these switches correspond to ad breaks. This seemed ideal. However, sometimes the titles don’t exactly match the ads so I wanted to insert my own chapter breaks. However, if I wanted to put a chapter break at say 3 hours into a recording the only way I can find to get to 3 hours from the edit menu is by watching at high speed from the beginning – which is really tedious. Alternatively I could use the 10 minute jump but I would end up having to press jump 126 times to get there.

I had assumed that using auto chapters every ten minutes would work with HDD recording and I would just have to jump to chapter 19 to get to 3 hours into a recording.

Alternatively what I would want is to enter a time and jump to there. I can do this during playback but cannot seem to do this during editing to insert a chapter mark. (Am I missing something?)

It sounds like the older 420 had the functionality I wanted with a chapter mark button on the remote – could you use this during playback from HDD? (Does this button on the 420 remote actually work with the 530?)

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not in sequence, but

1. Yes, you can put chapter marks into a HDD recording during playback with the button on the remote.

2. You can jump to a specific time in Chapter Edit of a title as follows:
    Select 'Divide', press Enter. Press Enter again and the title starts to play in a window with Divide highlighted, and a time bar. Press 'Play Mode' (twice on the 420) until you get a time display. Key in the time to jump to (e.g. 5000 = 50 mins 00 secs), press Enter and the preview jumps to the time point and Divide is highlighted again. Now you can fiddle with the FF, Pause etc and press Enter at the appropriate point.

I can't think why Pioneer took the button off the remote.
    I wonder if the Chapter Mark button on the 420 handset would work on a 530? Someone in this forum has both machines - maybe he would try it :)

7. dicko17

dicko17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the 520 model and the 530 model and the biggest mistake pioneer have made is to omit the chapter mark button on the 530 , before i could watch a program i had taped off the hdd in full screen and then manually insert a chapter mark exactly where i wanted to , now i have to insert them manually while watching a small screen in the top left hand corner.
    i tried the old remote with the new machine hoping it would work , but i'm sorry folks it did not work , i'm preety gutted , overall i found the 520 model an easier model to work with than the 530.

8. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No it doesn't work.

I often record Bravo from 9pm until 3 am and after its recorded I go into the Chapter Edit. I then forward in high speed and put chapters every 30 mins. I've got used to doing this and I'm quite quick but I still miss that button. Once the chapters are in they do copy over at high speed to DVD.

9. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    :eek:

I never knew that, I didn't even know about the SKIP button.
    That will save me some time :D

10. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I use Skip a lot when watching recordings of TV with commercials. Most breaks are 4 mins which is 2 x 2min skips, each of 4 presses. See my post above about a MaxView 5-in-1 remote macro which can be set up to get a 2 min skip with one button press.

11. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Would you find it easier to go to specific time points - 30 mins, 1 hr, etc?
    It looks as if you press Play Mode in Chapter Edit and choose the Time option on the 530 - slightly different from the 420.

12. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've just found out that when I go into the EDIT CHAPTER menu I can use the SKIP button in there too. This will get me to exactly where I want to go much quicker. Thanks for the SKIP advice.