"no channels" when connecting panasonic DMR-EH50 to sony tv

Julesrules

Standard Member
I have recenty started having a problem connecting my dvd recorder to my tv via scart lead.it used to work fine, then about 2 weeks back it stopped recognising the aerial connection.When I enter "auto set up", it rushes through the channel numbers, then displays the message "no channels found, please check aerial connection". I have connected this to other tvs, still the same error message.I have checked the aerial connection, it is fine, I am getting a tv picture from the aerial and a picture on my freeview box.When I connect a dmr eh60 (freeview built in) there is not a problem and it tunes in without a hitch. Is the problem something to do with the digital switchover completion, and if so, does this mean that my dmr eh50s are now obsolete (because they have no tuner built in), or can I do something to rectify the problem?

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

I know this model is a few years old now, and I could use an external hard drive to record, and get hd quality images, however I would still like to know what the problem is,and how to resolve it.

Thanks in advance

Julie

Gavtech

Administrator
Is the problem something to do with the digital switchover completion, and if so, does this mean that my dmr eh50s are now obsolete (because they have no tuner built in), or can I do something to rectify the problem?

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

I know this model is a few years old now, and I could use an external hard drive to record, and get hd quality images, however I would still like to know what the problem is,and how to resolve it.

Thanks in advance

Julie
Welcome to the forum Julie.

You have correctly identified the cause.
The EH50 predated digital tuners.
The unit only has an analogue tuner and as there are no analogue broadcasts any more, it will receive nothing.

It's only use now is to record from external sources.
A cheap freeview tuner tuner could be fed into it to provide function but as the timer would not be integrated with it and control the channel etc it would be of limited use.

If your TV provides an output on its scart you could use the TV's tuner as a source... but this has the drawback that usually the TV must be on to be able to record, and you have to watch the channel you are recording.
Also this route is a low quality route.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom