1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No centre channel from my Marantz DV6400

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SurferDude, Nov 15, 2004.

1. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I struck a little problem with my Marantz DV6400 on the weekend. I couldn't play a DVD through the 5.1 channel out as I got no centre channel information. I had to revert to 2 channel out and use the software in the SR7400 AV Receiver to break it in to 5.1 channels. I normally take it in to the Aux2 on the SR7400 and select this for Audio when playing DVDs, but I took the stereo out to the DVD in on the AV Receiver instead to get it to work. The main reason I went the DV6400 is because of its 5.1 out option for DVD and SACD. What's the point in coding to/from stereo to get 5.1?

I think this is a problem with the DV6400 and not the SR7400 as when I used the 2 channel out I managed to get centre channel sound. I even tried using the 5.1 channel out from the DVD and taking it out of the SR7400 via the pre-out to a separate stereo and amp it there, but still no info on the centre channel. So, I suspect it is something to do with the centre channel outlet in the 5.1 out on the DV6400.

I went through all the setup options around sound on both the DVD and AV Receiver but no success on any setting changes. I've definitely got a centre channel spec'd on the SR7400 and getting sound out of it. Just not one playing anything with 5.1 channels of encoded information via the 5.1 channel out on the DV6400.

Have any of you encountered this before with the DV6400, or should I try another DVD or two before I assume I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer. Oh yeah, I tried several AV cables that I knew worked to make the physical centre channel connections between devices too.

Thanks in advance for your assistance, :lease:

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    You should really only be using the 5.1 channel outputs on the player when playing back SACD or DVD-A as this is the only connection that allows you to output the full resolution signal from these formats. You need to then plug these cables into the 7.1 channel inputs on the back of the receiver, bearing in mind you don't need to use the inputs for 'SBR' and 'SBL'. You then need to select the 7.1 channel inputs as the source you want to listen to. When using the 5.1 outputs on the player make sure you have set all the speaker settings on the player as well as the receiver, so make your you have told the player there is a centre speaker and where they all are.

For DVD-Video however you should really be using a coaxial or optical digital interconnect between the player and the receiver and letting the receiver do the decoding of the signal as it will most likely have better processing and better speaker management than that of the player.

3. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crustyloafer,

Thanks for the informed reply. :thumbsup: Why couldn't my dealer just spell it out like that?

BTW, I am taking the 5.1 from the DVD out to the 7.1 of the Receiver in (Aux2). I don't use the SBR and SBL channels in the 7.1. I wasn't aware that the 5.1 connections only came in to their own for DVD-A and SACD tho'. Obvious media knowledge gap there, but I bought the multi-player so I could handle DVD-A and SACD when they become more prevelant.

For DVD-V I am now taking the stereo out from the DVD using the two channel RCA outs to the AV receiver two channel RCA ins. Not digital, but I read there is not much difference. Do you think I should go for one of the digital outs instead?

Thanks,
    Michael.

4. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I would be surprised if this is really the case, as the marantz would have to have a chip built in designed to strip out the centre channel only - or a fundamental flaw in a chip they use which didn't show up in testing.

2-channel stereo does not carry 5.1 information, so you will not get 5.1 surround this way.

None, you can't do it.

As crusty says, the simplest way is you need a digital connection between dvd player and amp, either digital co-ax, or digital optical.

check the dvd player is then set to bitstream output, and the dvd is 5.1 encoded, and the amp is set to auto detect, and 5.1 will pop up on your amp, and be output to the speakers.

also, before then, try the test signal function on your amp to send sound to each speaker in turn to prove they're all connected properly.

5. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To echo what others have said here, go with the digital connection. I believe those who say the analogue connections are just as good as or better than the digital ones are referring to two channel audio. If your receiver were a low budget piece, then the analogue output for audio in the Marantz would likelier to be better. But for the best Dolby or DTS decoding, receivers and pre/pros are more flexible than most players and your receiver qualifies as a very good piece. DVD-V discs will sound a lot better via digital hookup rather than via two channel analogue hookup and then applying a matrixed (rather than discrete) surround to that signal. I own a DV6400 and that is how I use it with DVD-Vs (via digital hookup). I use the analogue connectors solely for hi-res music (for which it works quite nicely).

Good luck.

6. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys! A few quick comments...

Bonesy, I tried the pink noise test on the receiver (SR7400) and got nice noise from all 5.1 connected channels. But, as Crustyloafer suggests, I have the same test on the DVD player and for some reason I get no centre channel when running the test there. Must be something I've done in my DV6400. I'll go home tonight and try it all again and see if I can spot the setting that I've got wrong. Couldn't find it on first pass through all the options. I've definately specified a centre channel in the setup on both machines.

Regardless of outcome I will get a digital optical connector to link the two and this should optimise my audio for DVD-V. May still hit a problem if I ever run SACD or DVD-A and select via Aux2 on the AV-Receiver though. Here's hoping I overcome that little problem soon. Its got my flumoxed...

Thanks all,
    Michael.

7. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Final note of thanks...

Last night I connected audio via the digital optical connections and finally sent discreet 5.1 channel information from DVD to AV Receiver and out to speakers. What a difference. Feel like a real goose now for not doing it earlier, but foolishly assumed the 5.1 RCA jacks out to the 5.1 Aux2 in on the AV receiver would send this info for DVD-V. I know better now.

Thanks for all the assistance. I still don't know whether DVD-A or SACD will work as the other connections were the ones playing up, but I'll check that out soon and am quitely confident that all will be OK.

Cheers,
    Michael.