No cars excite me any more!

HMHB

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I was looking at cars on the net (something the size of a Fiesta or a Focus) and came to the conclusion that nothing really made me want to buy one! Even Ford have raised their prices to what I consider to be too much these days so I'd probably not even go for a Fiesta or a Focus.

Are there any cars that I should look at? My current Fiesta is just over 6 years old now and I'm in danger of finally having to buy new tyres for the first time, so I wondered about swapping the car instead :laugh:

I assume you're looking at lower end models?

They don't excite me either.

Why don't you go for a hot hatch, or rather warm hatch fiesta st maybe or is that too "boy racer"?

I do find modern cars don't do it for me as much as older cars.

I was looking at a new Fiesta ST which was rumoured to be coming out this year but now I think it's going to be next year. The problem is though that the current range of Fiestas in my opinion are over priced. Ford raised the Fiesta prices by quite a lot when the new model came out and it looks like they're doing the same with the new shape Focus.
I like the quirky looks of the Alpha Mito but have seen mixed reviews of that - the main problem being that it's an Alpha and so has the tendency to break ;)
Then you have the Golf GTI but I think all Golfs are way over priced. Maybe I'm just a tight git?

I was looking at a new Fiesta ST which was rumoured to be coming out this year but now I think it's going to be next year. The problem is though that the current range of Fiestas in my opinion are over priced. Ford raised the Fiesta prices by quite a lot when the new model came out and it looks like they're doing the same with the new shape Focus.
I like the quirky looks of the Alpha Mito but have seen mixed reviews of that - the main problem being that it's an Alpha and so has the tendency to break ;)
Then you have the Golf GTI but I think all Golfs are way over priced. Maybe I'm just a tight git?

No golfs are way overpriced, as are most cars in the vag group. I went into a Seat garage thinking I'd find something cheap along the lines of leon cupra, well I was well out of touch, even Seat are now expensive.

I take it you're looking to buy brand new?

I'm open to suggestions to be honest. The other thing about the Mito I was looking at, I priced up one online (cloverleaf or something like that) and it was 19K which again is a lot of money for a small car. I also looked at Audi A1s but they are silly prices for the better models.

I don't want a lower end basic model.

Yeah a1s are expensive, my girlfriend looked at them before ending up with a 500 abarth.

Standard they don't even come with xenons, and to get a decent a1 you need to splash out on options which ends up with ridiculous prices.

And when we were looking at them the waiting time was horrendous, all we could have was a car destined to be a demonstrator which had next to no options.

I think maybe used is the way to go, you'll get more for your money without a doubt.

Are you after a new or used car? When you say they dont excite you do you mean in the looks department or the driving department?

If you want a cheap reliable fun car then you cant beat a Swift Sport, they handle like go karts and its the best FWD car i've ever driven.

I'm open to suggestions to be honest. The other thing about the Mito I was looking at, I priced up one online (cloverleaf or something like that) and it was 19K which again is a lot of money for a small car.

Ignore the online configurator and see what you could actually get a Mito for.
Stunning little car, my mate has one on PCP.
How about a Fiat 500 Abarth?
Or a Punto Abarth?

Do you need to buy?
Why not lease?
You can get plenty of small cars for under £200 a month.
No worries about depreciation etc.

Also forgot, have you checked out the new Fabia VRS, flappy paddle thing but meant to be very good.

How about a Fiat 500 Abarth?
Or a Punto Abarth?

Hmm punto abarth, very rare and they come with Brembos too :blush:

Fiat is definitely one to consider, you get much more for your money and the whole "reliablity" thing is not what some people think nowadays.

I don't know much about leasing to be honest. I only do between 6 and 8,000 miles a year so I'm not high mileage. My current Fiesta is just coming up to 39,000 miles.

I do like the Fiat Abarth looks as well but aren't they smaller than a Fiesta?

Fiat is definitely one to consider, you get much more for your money and the whole "reliablity" thing is not what some people think nowadays.

My friend's GF is loathe to get rid of her 134000 mile Punto, simply because it's never let her down.

Last edited:
I wonder if leasing is something I should look at :confused:

What are the advantages over say hp?

Sorry to thread hijack John

No worries mate, I'm interested in what you are asking as well :)

No worries mate, I'm interested in what you are asking as well :)

The one thing I've noticed though is that in terms of monthly payments I'd be looking at much more for the type of car I want.

See it doesn't matter if you're buying brand new as payments would be about the same.

But say for me with a budget of ten grand, I am looking at higher end models used obviously

With a lease for a higher end model as they are new payments would be much higher. The only way I can get close to similar payments is looking at lower end cars.

ooh I found a renaultsport twingo for £179 leasing :D

Last edited:
Leasing works for us for two main reasons.

1/ We like to have new cars and change them regularly (every three years).
2/ The monthly payments are much lower than buying.

For example, my wife's top-of-the-range Fiesta Titanium 1.6Tdci costs me £207 per month including VAT.
That was with the usual 3 months down up front, plus 35 monthly payments (usually abbreviated to 3+35)
We couldn't hope to buy a new one for such low monthly payments, not without a very big deposit.
And it's really nice to know I don't have to give a fig about resale value, that's someone else's problem.

Cheers leasing has never been something I've ever considered.

Ironically it's because I always wanted to "own" cars but I always get rid of them before I actually "own" them anyway.

So generally with leasing it's just 3 payments upfront as a deposit?

I hate to be recommending a French car but the Citroen DS3 is very attractive.

I do sypmathise with the OPs basic problem though, that no cars excite him any more.
I find myself becoming a bit 'pfffffft' about driving and cars in general just now.
Hence the reason I'm thinking of reverting to basics next time (Citroen C1 or similar).
The last time a car truly made me smile was during the bad snow, in my mother's Micra.
The thing's bloody-minded refusal to let anything get in its way.
The sheer 'honesty' of it.
Like it was saying;

"I'm cheap, I'm nasty, but I'm getting you from A to B....let's go!"

:thumbsup:

Having just this last week gone down the road of acquiring a brand new car via the PCH (Personal Contract Leasing) route I can't recommend it highly enough. Basically instead of going through all the rigmarole of selling an owned Car or getting ripped of via part exchange you just pay the depreciation on a new car for the duration of the contract length. Then, you simply start over again with a new car of your choice and affordability once the original contract has expired. Perfect. :smashin:

I do sypmathise with the OPs basic problem though, that no cars excite him any more.
I find myself becoming a bit 'pfffffft' about driving and cars in general just now.
Hence the reason I'm thinking of reverting to basics next time (Citroen C1 or similar).
The last time a car truly made me smile was during the bad snow, in my mother's Micra.
The thing's bloody-minded refusal to let anything get in its way.
The sheer 'honesty' of it.
Like it was saying;

"I'm cheap, I'm nasty, but I'm getting you from A to B....let's go!"

:thumbsup:

Indeed. I look at some hot hatch and then think "with the state the roads are in these days with holes all over the place, will this be an unbearable ride?" Maybe it's because I'm hitting the big 50 later this month!!
I've not been out to look at any cars yet just been looking on the internet and as yet everything leaves me a bit underwhelmed.

Indeed. I look at some hot hatch and then think "with the state the roads are in these days with holes all over the place, will this be an unbearable ride?" Maybe it's because I'm hitting the big 50 later this month!!

I'm not even 40 yet I share the same feelings.

Our roads (save for some exceptions, Motoryways and such) are a national disgrace (especially inner city) and the stiff ride on my car is done no favours.

I'm thinking that my next car should have the ride of a marshmallow:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom