1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Buzzing PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by john R1, Dec 14, 2003.

1. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning...Johns wifey here yet again :D :D

Well problem solved (up to now at least)

Our new replacement pw6 received yesterday is SILENT.

So we have to think that the previous one which we had a week WAS faulty.

The only noise u can hear is the normal power noise (only if you put ear to the back quite close) which of course u wouldnt normally do.

The previous faulty one was really noticeable espescially when changing between adverts and on the news broadcasts(we are using Telewest digital by the way).

Have to admit we have a crystal clear picture and no lyp sync problems which some have had.

We are using Denon 3802 and thought we might encounter some probs but no, its great.

It just goes to show that the noise CANT be normal that some others with pw6 are experiencing, unless there noises are coming from elsewhere maybe.

'Relatives visitied last night and walked in the lounge and said 'Wow what a good picture' Phew, that was nice to hear, and even better comments when we showed the Finding Nemo on DVD. the depth of the colours in that film are superb.

Anyway, thought i would share the outcome of the 3rd Plasma saga, so keeping things crossed.

ttfn Wifey.

2. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice one wifey, where did you buy the PW6 from in the first place?

Thanks

3. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB Direct (listed on Panasonic Website Authorised Dealers)

Very good service by the way! Would do business with them again, very obliging.

Wifey.:) :)

4. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John's Wifey !

Just a quick question regards the set noise.

The noise you say you hear from the set (not buzzing - power noise), I have similar & would like to check. On mine it's only really audible if you stick your head right by the side of the set at the rear (set is wall mounted) and sounds like a sort of shrill low buzzing noise (only way to describe it !!) which I presume is some form of high tension noise from the power supplies or plasma panel - sort of sounds like the noise from the guns when a CRT fires up. It's pretty quiet and as soon as you go round the front is practically imperceptible from anything more than 18 inches away. Just wanted to check this is what you've got...?

Reason for this is mine has just done the switching itself off trick (see other threads) which necessitated the removal & replacement of the main power supply board in the back of the unit. I can't remember if there was any noise before so would like a comparison !! I have a feeling my original may have been a tad quieter, but then maybe the later boards are slightly different (i.e. don't trip out every 5 minutes !!!!).

Just as an aside, top marks to Panasonic on this one - the set is only a few weeks old, I gave Andrew at AV-sales (my dealer) a ring and within an hour or so I received a phone call from the regional QA managers office asking if I would be in that afternoon so he could come and sort it out !!! I couldn't make it that day so they came out the following day and replaced the circuit board and checked it & gave me a hand to put it back on the wall mount.
    Pretty good going if you ask me !

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    AndyGo and John's Wifey..

I have a PW6, and have a sound such as AndyGo described... It can only be heard when I'm round the back of the set (mine isn't on the wall)... I assumed this was "normal"... the CRT currently in front of me as I type is making a similar sound...

Mark

6. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy my replacement does make a slight noise very similar to yours, wifey still thinks its silent, it does seem quiter than the first one and although not loud buzz does vary depending on the input via the telewest digibox ie bb2 seems to buzz more than other channels not sure if this is to do with the bitrate people talk about on the forums john

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Similar feedback from me on all the PW6/PWD6's I have demo'd.

Buzz is only noticable when you put your head around the back...so shouldn't notice anything unless you view your plasma with your head that close :p :rotfl:

JJ

8. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the feedback guys,
    just stuck my head on my PC monitor & sound is similar, albeit quieter than the plasma, so seems to be as you report.
    Presumably a bit louder on plasma due to higher voltages or greater power required ?
    ...and yes, my girlfriend thinks it's totally silent, mind you, she once said that Star Wars was "Just a reasonable action film", so she's probably clinically insane anyway !!!!!!!!

cheers,
    Andy

9. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D :D

Hehehehe...a girl after my own heart...we are all insane....well....i visit this forum way tooooo much...and yes i think our PW6 is still silent....think hubby has ringing in HIS ears!

I am just going to enjoy WATCHING our plasma and not sticking my ears to the set.

Mind you I HAVE THE BEST seat in the lounge..He is barred...

LOL!

Johns wifey
    :) :) :) :)