No build won't post

dazpazz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Today i took delivery of an i5 6600k, Asus Z170i Pro Gaming Motherboard & an 8gb ddr4 memory kits..

After putting the system together I can't get the thing to post! I have checked and rechecked the 8 & 24 pin motherboard connection, swapped the memory around..

When I turn on the power supply I can see the red led on the board indicating power, as well as the red glow coming from the sound area of the board.. But when I push the power button, the only thing that starts is the case fan. The CPU cooler fan (Noctua NH-u14s) doesn't spin and i get no video output from the onboard graphics, I didn't bother installing a GPU until I knew I could post.

Full spec of the sysyem:

i5 6600k
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming Motherboard
2x 4gb Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2400Mhz
Noctua NH-U14S (Taken from a working system)
EVGA GTX 970 SSC (Taken from a working system)
Cooler Master 600 watt silent pro power supply (Taken from a working system)

Post a photo of the motherboard with all your cables connected. That might help some of our resident gurus to identify if you have missed a cable etc.

I'd remove the cpu and check for any bent or missing pins in the socket then reseat and maybe try with one stick of ram at a time.

I'd remove the cpu and check for any bent or missing pins in the socket then reseat and maybe try with one stick of ram at a time.
This, and double / triple / quadruple check all cables are plugged in as that's most likely

got to say check all the jumper cables from the case to the motherboard...

got to say check all the jumper cables from the case to the motherboard...

Exactly what I'm thinking.

If you've not connected the case to the motherboard, then pressing the power switch on the case won't do anything.

You should have received a "q-connector" with your Asus board (they tend to come with ALL Asus boards. It allows you to connect the power switch, hdd led, reset switch etc from you case.

It looks like this
image.jpg

Most times when a PC won't boot it's often likely a simple explanation, likely something not connected etc.

Firstly, thank you for all the replies fellas..

I have taken a few pics of the build so far.. Not too sure how well they'll turn out as I'm using the mobile app to upload.

I think I have exhausted every avenue to check.. I have checked the CPU socket for bent pins, I have reseated the CPU, tried to reset the CMOS, swapped the ram around, tried 1 stick at a time in either slot, rechecked PSU connections..

I can pretty much rule out the PSU as I pulled it out last night to reuse on my older system and it quite happily powers my 3570k with a gtx 970.

I am using the Asus quick connect thingy for the front panel cables.. Would it be worth trying without?

As far as I can see the board gets power because when I push the on button the fans start and they are plugged into the board itself. As well as a few LEDs on the board.

Although reading through the manual last night there is Q LEDs that checks key components in sequence but I have never seen these turn on yet! They're supposed to flash if there is an issue.

Attachments

• 1449926159500.jpg
    1449926159500.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 1449926168846.jpg
    1449926168846.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 1449926176832.jpg
    1449926176832.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 147
I had what sounds like the exact same issue a few months back, my mobo LEDs lit up but the actual LED display on the motherboard wasn't cycling through it's codes. I ended up having to test all the components in different PCs and it turned out to be a dead CPU.

Thanks for the heads up!

Now I've got the ballache of RMA'img as I haven't got the option to swap & change hardware around..

Quick question if you don't mind - just bought this motherboard and looking at cooling options. I have a corsair h60 but the pump noise is annoying so I'm looking to a quieter air cooler and the nocturnal 12s or 14s are ones I'm considering

How does the 14s fit with the Asus motherboard ? Doesn't block the PCI slot for the GPU? Clearance for the ram and the riser block (is that the VRMs?)

Your EATX 12V power connector (top left side of MOBO, Yellow and Black wires) does not seem to be seated correctly. The r/h plug is not aligned with the l/h plug.

It looks like the r/h plug is not inserted correctly/fully? Both plugs should be in alignment. PC will not POST if this is not corrected.

Last edited:
@richard plumb I've got the nh-u14s and with the fan fitted on the front pushing air through the fan sits on top of the 1st memory slot but haven't found this to be an issue, is a snug fit doesn't interfere with the gpu slot..

In away I kind of like the way that the heat sink covers most of the motherboard as it covers imho that ghastly asus pro gaming badge..

DSC_0121.jpg

@John7 The board was sent back to Scan who confirmed the board to be dead & was replaced with a new one, which works perfectly...

@richard plumb I've got the nh-u14s and with the fan fitted on the front pushing air through the fan sits on top of the 1st memory slot but haven't found this to be an issue, is a snug fit doesn't interfere with the gpu slot..

In away I kind of like the way that the heat sink covers most of the motherboard as it covers imho that ghastly asus pro gaming badge..

View attachment 720409

Thanks. From that I can check where the memory slot sits in my prodigy and whether it would block my bluray drive

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom