No Bots

Caimbeul

Novice Member
Is it me or are there less and less games offering the inclusion of bots in multiplayer games?

sometimes its good to get 1 or 2 friends round for some LAN gaming. Something like farcry is great but in such an environment with only 2-3 players wandering round it can soon become frustrating.

Other games suffer too! its all on-line [email protected] What if we dont want to jump on-line and get taken out with a head-shot from 200 miles across the map by some 13yr old punk.

Bring back bots I say!

Bots are usually only anygood while you are learning the very basics of and FPS.

The problem is that bots are ... well bots and the AI envolved is .... well not really AI unless you consider a gold fish Intellegent. They are overly predictable and do not play like humans do. So playing bots will never give you the training to face a human later on.

...... and they get dull as dishwater very quickly if you can pop them without trouble.

The only way to increase the difficulty is to make them react and shoot more and more rapidly / accurately and or give them information that a real player is not party to ie knowing where everyone is exactly all the time.

All that will get you in the end is a game of reactions .... to which the bots will win in the end simply because they can be made to track target and shoot 5 targets in 1/100th of a second.

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
Ethics Gradient said:
Bots are usually only anygood while you are learning the very basics of and FPS.

The problem is that bots are ... well bots and the AI envolved is .... well not really AI unless you consider a gold fish Intellegent. They are overly predictable and do not play like humans do. So playing bots will never give you the training to face a human later on.

...... and they get dull as dishwater very quickly if you can pop them without trouble.

The only way to increase the difficulty is to make them react and shoot more and more rapidly / accurately and or give them information that a real player is not party to ie knowing where everyone is exactly all the time.

All that will get you in the end is a game of reactions .... to which the bots will win in the end simply because they can be made to track target and shoot 5 targets in 1/100th of a second.

I dunno, some bots arnt bad practice, altho they can have the odd stupid habit......CS:S bots set to the hardest level can, when being sensible work together very well and provide a good bit of practice..........

the downside of course is when one routinely sits in a corner facing the corner, while his mate repeatedly runs around a crate chasing his own tail :D

oh and of course my favourite, making them all total cowards...heh.....go on a bot infested server on Dust2, be a CT, grab a nice big awp, just awp thru the doors up to T spawn...give it 4 rounds of that and i can guarantee you'll be able to walk up to T spawn with them all hiding behind the building near long A double doors....lol

cracks me up doing that :rotfl:

semiskimmed

Distinguished Member
i think it also requires mre work by the developer so delaying the games release, and lets face it, the bots hardly ever get used once youre up to speed with the game and i find that playing online and asking and learning is more fun

AML

I hate bots. They cheat. They seem to know exactly where you are all the time. No human could do that.
Even if you are hiding out of sight, they can still come right up to you and shoot.
You also cant come up behind them to knife them coz, again, they know you are there.

And yes, they can be real stupid. As a recent quote in PC gamer put it:

GRAW AI puts the "Special" in special forces. :D

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Bots are essential to any FPS game, because they provide good practice and help you brush up your skills. Although, they are no alternate for a real human opponent.

I've been playing Quake 3: Arena with max bots to pracitse my RailGun shooting :D

semiskimmed

Distinguished Member
day of defeat source does well without them, and on BF2 the bots are pathetic :rotfl:
the best bots ive seen are the ones in CSS at times

semiskimmed said:
day of defeat source does well without them, and on BF2 the bots are pathetic :rotfl:
the best bots ive seen are the ones in CSS at times

I always remember comming onto the servers and listening to the youngsters complaining about the bots being too hard to beat ..... because generally the younger players relied on fast reactions to play ... and you can't beat bots at that if they are configured to be quick.

...... I never had a problem, because knowing my reactions were acceptable but never as quick as someone half my age, I don't play FPS games that way, I have to rely on out thinking the opponents .... and that ain't hard when it's a bot :)

.... the best way to play FPS games is to think like the enemy - what would I do next if I were them .... then counter / take advantage of it.

Steven

Senior Moderator
True that 9/10, bots are no substitute for a human opponent

9/10 however, they're infinately better than some American teenager swearing at you. And with developers including mic support now, you can hear them as well as read the insults :)

:rolleyes:

I'm all for 'inviting friends round' multiplayer however :)

semiskimmed

Distinguished Member
thats probably why i dnt get on with CSS then. i like fast paced stuff where you can get away with running and gunning, ie BF2 :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom