1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no booklets in dvd cases anymore

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by shoestring25, Sep 11, 2004.

1. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Is it me or do more and more DVDs get released without a booklet in the DVD case anymore not even a chapter insert. E.g. recent Shaun of the dead.
    It annoys me because you open it up and all you get is a disc and you think to your self I paid all that money for just that.

I suppose they do it to save money, if they want to save money just don’t bother with a commentary nobody I know ever listens to them. Although i have been known to read a text commentary.

Is it just me or do others feel the same?

2. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I think they must have got fed up trying to think of names for all the different chapters of a film :)

3. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    personally,i hate chapter lists as they always contain spoilers.

but its nice when you get some sleeve notes and background info on the movie.

i was a bit annoyed not to get one in s.o.t.d as it said on the cover "groaning with extras" not enough for insert eh?

just plain lazy if you ask me.

4. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I agree. I would prefer nicer packaging to some of the pointless 'special' features which appear on some discs. In my view, it cheapens the product, if it doesn't contain a booklet. You don't expect to buy a CD without a booklet of some sort, so why should DVDs be different?

What seems even more pointless, and irritating to me, is slipcases. Why?? :confused:

5. Alan Pressley

Alan Pressley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There has been a major trend towards booklet free DVDs over the past year or more. I am not really that bothered, but it does make the product seem cheap.
    I dont watch any extras either but if I had to choose I would probably sacrifice the booklet/card.

6. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't miss the insert. I agree they often contain spoilers, also DVD is an electronic medium, why bother with paper boklets which are statice and only get damaged and grubby over time ?

7. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    And if the product seems cheap then it should be reflected in the price and the savings passed down to the consumer JMO ;) like a lot of other members i`m not bothered about the inserts or the extras i buy the film for just that the film :)

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I buy mostly region 2 (jp) DVDs that always come well packaged in special japan only boxes and lots of extra goodies inside the box too. Like adverst for upcoming movies or other stuff like that.
    Japanese DVDs do cost more than say region 1 (US) DVDs so you do have to pay more for these extras. (packaging mainly I think)
    Something else I like about the JP DVDs are rare little gifts you get with a new DVD.

Example: With "Beautiful Mind" I got a free pen with the DVD that looks like the one they use in the Film. (those of you who watched it will know what i mean)

With "Hollow Man" i got a key chain of a glow in the dark man!

And with "Last Samurai" I got a pair of special Last Samurai chopsticks! Real ones you can use too!

Now is this stuff cool or what?

Some people dont want this stuff and preffer to just pay cheaper prices without any of that extra stuff, but as far as im concerned, I like the extra stuff since im a movie fan and I dont mind paying a little extra!

9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,179
    I never liked the single sleeve inserts that much, the ones with the front cover art on one side and the chapter list on the other, if you are going to do an insert at least make it a few pages long and include some interesting info like with the Red Dwarf Booklets or if they want to just list the chapters why not make the cover art double sided and put it in a clear dvd case.