No BBC on Freeview (playTv)

milo87

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I seem to be having a bit of trouble with my freeview, im using playtv for my ps3 to receive freeview channels but when i search for channels it doesnt find bbc 1 or 2. It has found BBC parliament but i cant view it because it just stutters and then goes blank.

I used an aerial booster to see if this would help, it took my signal strength from around 54% to about 80% and found some more channels but still no BBC?

I had the same problem with my old sagem freeview box, it used to receive them a long time ago but then i had to rescan one day and they never came back.

Need your help guys the formula 1 season is fast approaching and i need to be able to record it! :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Miles

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi guys,

I seem to be having a bit of trouble with my freeview, im using playtv for my ps3 to receive freeview channels but when i search for channels it doesnt find bbc 1 or 2. It has found BBC parliament but i cant view it because it just stutters and then goes blank.

I used an aerial booster to see if this would help, it took my signal strength from around 54% to about 80% and found some more channels but still no BBC?

I had the same problem with my old sagem freeview box, it used to receive them a long time ago but then i had to rescan one day and they never came back.

Need your help guys the formula 1 season is fast approaching and i need to be able to record it! :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Miles

I assume you are using an HDMI cable.

Some cables can adversely affect the UHF waveband and knock out channels.

Test the problem by connecting via another method temporarily to see if the problems disappear.

If so you need a new HDMI cable.
Cheap ones have been found generally to work best in regard of this issue.

milo87

Standard Member
I assume you are using an HDMI cable.

Some cables can adversely affect the UHF waveband and knock out channels.

Test the problem by connecting via another method temporarily to see if the problems disappear.

If so you need a new HDMI cable.
Cheap ones have been found generally to work best in regard of this issue.

Thanks for your reply,I will have to try and find the other lead for the ps3, could be a problem haha. If not I will try a tescos special hdmi cable:)

thanks again,

miles

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
It is worth trying the hdmi cable idea, but it could be due to many other factors as well.

If you're in a pre-DSO area you are having problems with at least two multiplexes (BBC1 and BBC Parli are on different muxes).

Try to borrow a Freeview stb from a friend and see what that gets (with the PS3 disconnected and off at the mains at first).

Where are you and what sort of aerial are you using (room, loft, outside)?

milo87

Standard Member
Hi,

I tried the hdmi lead idea just a moment ago and unfortunately it didnt work, i still cant get bbc 1 and 2 on my programme list :(

I live in Horley which is about 0.5 miles away from gatwick airport. Postcode RH6.

I just tried it with two other stb's and neither of them have picked up bbc 1 or 2 :(

I believe i have an aerial on the roof but im not 100% on that it could be a loft aerial.

Any other ideas i could try?

regards,

Miles

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Your aerial could be pointed at Reigate (small cross-rods vertical) or Crystal Palace (horizontal).

Check what predictions Digital UK - Postcode checker gives for your address (tick the in the trade box). Are the first six muxes from either transmitter all green?

As the BBC mux is in-between other muxes in frequency terms it might help if you can tell us what channels you can tune in and receive.

It seems your current aerial installation isn't up to the job, though. You will need to trace the cable - checking for damage/kinks and poor connections - and locate the aerial - checking for damage etc.,. Post back what you find.

milo87

Standard Member
Your aerial could be pointed at Reigate (small cross-rods vertical) or Crystal Palace (horizontal).

Check what predictions Digital UK - Postcode checker gives for your address (tick the in the trade box). Are the first six muxes from either transmitter all green?

As the BBC mux is in-between other muxes in frequency terms it might help if you can tell us what channels you can tune in and receive.

It seems your current aerial installation isn't up to the job, though. You will need to trace the cable - checking for damage/kinks and poor connections - and locate the aerial - checking for damage etc.,. Post back what you find.

Cheers for the help i appreciate it,

the first six are all in green i think, Postcode Checker - Trade View

my postcode is rh6 0ag if that link doesn't work. I dont really know how to interpret all of that info on there.

The channels that have been tuned in are:
Itv1
c4
Itv2
BBC 4 is listed but when i go to view it it says "no signal"
Sky Three
Yesterday
C4 +1
More 4
Film 4
4Music
Dave
VIVA
Ideal World
ITV4
Dave Ja Vu
E4
E4+1
Itv2+1Cbeebies is listed but also says no signal
BBC parliament is lister but also says no signal
Sky news
Sky Sports news

I will trace the wire into the loft in a bit and see if we have a loft aerial or one on the roof.

thanks again,

Miles

AJDF

Standard Member
I live in Shrewsbury, In the West Midlands. I am having the same problem :(. The channels i cannot get are BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 and CBBC channel. I am not so bothered about the last one but if you any ideas :lease: let me know.

Thanks in Advance.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom