No bass when I select sub only :(

kroc_kroc

For the last 12 months I've had bass out setting on my receiver (DSP Z9) set up to use both front and sub. I recently had my sub (BK monolith) upgraded in terms of finish and decided to see how it sounded using just the sub for the base out option. When I choose this option I get no sound from the sub.

I've checked absolutely everything on the receiver – checked the wiring, changed the wiring, ran the optimisor, went through the manual and checked all settings are correct, etc. Sorry for being a bit vague but if you need any more info just let me know.

I remember that it did work this way but can't figure out why it's not working now? Is it likely to be a problem with the amp or the sub? When i run the test tones I get a signal from the sub – just doesn't work when I select the sub on it's own :(

Also, is this the correct section or should I post in the receiver section?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Have you connected up both high level & low level inputs together ?? this could explain why you are getting test tones to work as it is probably firing when the front L&R speakers are producing the tone.

You would need to disconnect the high level (speaker wire) cables before connecting the low level (RCA cable) as I am sure the Monolith does not have the ability to use both simultaneously. :)

kroc_kroc

Hi – thanks for your quick reply. I'm just using dedicated sub output to Monolith low level input (one RCA to RCA cable). Managed to get some base (just selecting sub woofer) when I set the front speakers to small??? Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Hi – thanks for your quick reply. I'm just using dedicated sub output to Monolith low level input (one RCA to RCA cable). Managed to get some base (just selecting sub woofer) when I set the front speakers to small??? Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Why have you set all speakers to large ? that could be your problem .. you would get better results setting all speakers to small with around an 80hz crossover :smashin:

Give that a try and see what you think :)

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Set to 'LFE Only' and the speakers as 'Large', the sub will only output bass from and LFE soundtrack. None of the speaker bass will appear from anything other than the speakers.

Set to 'LFE+Main' (if this option appears) the speakers will still produce a full range signal, but the sub will run in tandem below whatever crossover you have chosen. This is the worst of the three possible combinations IMHO - the possibilities for random cancellations, reinforcements and general smearing of the bass make it unlikely to succeed.

With the speakers set to 'Small', not only will the sub do the LFE as before, but it will also do all bass below whatever crossover is set for the speakers. In all but the most capable amp/speaker combinations, this is likely to be the best sounding option, although it can be a bit more setup intensive before it gels.

I'm guessing that the auto setup on your amp has defined your speakers as 'Large', which is defined as meaning they are capable of bass below 80Hz. Even if they're only capable of 79Hz, they'll still be set as 'Large' and it sounds to me as if this is what has happened.

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom