1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No bass in sub from rear channels on RXV650

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Loewe, May 10, 2005.

1. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that the bass from surround and -back channels is not heard from the sub, even when set to small (crossover 100hz). When i direct LFE/bass -output to my rather big front speakers (instead of sub) the bass for surround and -back is nicely output from front speakers as supposed. This seems to be the only way to get bass "from" surround/-back, no matter large-small and crossover-settings. Strange. Anyone with similar experience or suggestions?

2. Easybourne

Easybourne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

Don't want to worry you unnecessarily, but I've had what sounds to be similar issues with an older Yamaha unit. Please see my post: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207691&highlight=mad

My initial post queried bass being redirected from the centre and mains, but probably applies to rears also. Could you confirm that bass is correctly re-directed from the centre/mains as well?

I think there may be an issue with Yamaha's bass management across their product range. I'd be interested in what others have to say.

I know this isn't an answer, but perhaps this could be something that's worth investigating in the forums on a wider scale.

Yamaha's manuals seem to suggest that default settings for main speakers is LARGE and sub to BOTH - other manufacturers seem to do it differently.

Maybe if we could other Yamaha owners to have a look at how they set their bass management...

Your issue worries me as I'd hoped that this problem was specific to my amp only!

Darren

3. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems the bass from centre (and front L/R) sounds OK when set to small and LFE/bass set to sub. Bass is then only and clearly missing from the surr/back. I'll experiment a little more and let you know tomorrow. Bass is generally a difficult matter because of phase-issues, but it is basal :)

4. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After more thorough investigation last night i came to the conclusion that Yamahas bass-management is working fine. It's just that my sub has a drop around 40 Hz, especially when heard from my sofa, and that my surr/backs are very small and bass-less. Thats why the 360-circling 40-Hz-heavy drum-beat on The Calibrator sounds very thin from my surr/backs with sub on. 30 and 50 Hz sounds good though.

Like I said; bass is not an easy matter ... :)

By the way my testing led to this interesting conclusion; when LFE/Bass is set to "both" (front and sub), bass from centre and surrounds/backs is only directed to the sub, not to the front (main, L/R)!