Quantcast

No Backup option available on Motorola Moto G - Android 6.0

RayP

My Motorola Moto G (2nd gen) is running Android 6.0. I cannot see an option to backup the apps and related data anywhere.

Foolishly I deleted the backup in GDrive thinking I could just generate another one so I could be certain when it was created. But despite repeated searches on t'internet I see no option to back up.

I do have Backup my data switched on in Settings - Backup & reset. Other than waiting for it to run one when conditions allow is there anything I can do to force one? I have a new phone arrived today and want to get it setup. But until I have a backup to restore from I daren't risk losing contacts etc.

What do you want backed up?
Contacts should be on your Google account,if you use Photos they should also be backed up to Google and text messages can be backed up with an app.
Let us know what you need to back up and someone will help you get through it ;)

RayP

Contacts should be on your Google account,if you use Photos they should also be backed up to Google and text messages can be backed up with an app.
Let us know what you need to back up and someone will help you get through it ;)
Thankfully I don't live my life in my phone so my needs are pretty straight-forward. After a few hours of trial and error I have now backed up my Contacts to my GDrive. Text messages using Next SMS have been backed up to their own server after paying a modest subscription.

Those are the two important ones. I only have a few photos and I can use File Manager app to link my phone to my laptop to retrieve those.

But when that IP address is entered into Firefox it shows me what appears to be the whole structure of the Android OS with multiple folders. The top one is named

RayP

Thankfully I don't live my life in my phone so my needs are pretty straight-forward. After a few hours of trial and error I have now backed up my Contacts to my GDrive. Text messages using Next SMS have been backed up to their own server after paying a modest subscription.

Those are the two important ones. I only have a few photos and I can use File Manager app to link my phone to my laptop to retrieve those.

I do find it frustrating there is no option to backup my phone in its entirety. This is the first time I've switched from one Motorola to another so it's a bit traumatic. I don't want to lose info and I thought the backup to GDrive would be the simplest method. But no backup option is to be found.

I have the G7 power and there is a backup setting so you should be okay with the G7 plus in future.
Try installing Google Photos and back up your photos in the Cloud as well.

Good you found a way to back up texts but a fee free option would have been better.

A cable to PC backup option is always a safe bet :)

RayP

Thanks @1742 . Bit of a learning curve for me. :) The backup option seems to have been removed from Android v6 which, when you consider all the crap they put in is a bit daft.

The good news is I have both phones so I should be able to get everything ported over. That backup cost was only £6 for a year and if you give them a good review they add 3 months on.

There were only 7 photos and I used File Manager to transfer them to my laptop. :thumbsup:

RayP

I was able to pair my G7 with my existing phone and copy most details over to save having to set everything up afresh. The few quid spent on NextSMS was worth it to be able to restore from yesterday’s backup and to keep it backed up.

Contacts and SMSs are the important bits. I have other apps such as one for my streamer and the settings for that must be held in the player as everything was fine after installing it.

Really pleased with the speed of the G7. For £200 it’s great value. I struggle to understand how a £1000 phone can be significantly better. :eek: And I now have an option to backup to my GDrive. Hopefully it won’t disappear like it did on the old one!