No audio when using HDMI input and analog audio

Turribeach

Novice Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to setup a home made karaoke system. I am using my MacBook Pro 2021 audio output going via a Behringer XENYX 802 8 Input mixer and then going via RCA to a Denon AVR-X2400H AVR to the 4 analog input (CD) via RCA. I then connect my MBP HDMI output to the Denon front HDMI input (AUX1/FRONT) and I configure my inputs correctly in the Denon Inputs menu setting both the correct HDMI and analog inputs. So if I set the input in the remote control to the front HDMI the sound from the MBP plays fine but if I then connect the HDMI cable to the AVR the sound drops and I can set my MBP screen. Basically I can either see the HDMI video from the laptop (if the HDMI cable is connected) or the audio output (if the HDMI cable is NOT connected), but not both at the same time. Am I doing something wrong? Can't this receiver mix the HDMI input from the MBP with the analog audio input via RCA? Thanks!

You'd need to reconfigure the audio assignments on the AV receiver so that it sources the audio via the analogue inputs at the same time as accessing video via an HDMI input. You'd effectively be assigning both the analogue audio and the HDMI video to the same source.

Without reassigning where the AV receiver looks for the audio, the AVR will automatically look to the same HDMI connection for both the video and the audio.

Page 165 from the manual:

by default 2021-12-11 at 16.10.31.png

I done this already. AUX1 is HDMI = Front and ANALOG is on 4. As I said both audio and video work when I select AUX1, just not at the same time with the HDMI cable connected. This proves the imput configuration is correct is just that the Denon is not outputting the analog sound when the HDMI cable is connected.

AS said,, you need to reassign where the selected source gets audio from if setting the AV receiver to an HDMI source. THe AV receiver is set to access noth the audio and the video via the HDMI connection by fault, but does allow you to recpngiure the AV treceiver to look elewhere for the audio while simulataneously still accessing just the video via the HDMI connection. You don't select 2 sources at the same time, you select one source that accesses the video and the audio via 2 seperate inputs. Note that you cannot however designate the audio ccessed via one HDMI input to the video accessed via another HDMI input, but you can make the AV receiver source the audio via the analogue RCA inputs or via the digital S/PDIF inputs.

If not working for you then I'd suggest you've not correctly assign the inputs to the associated source.

What I normally find catches me out is I set the assignment correctly but then in addition you need to select the input mode as well. (Page 168 of the manual)

There's one other option you can use to achieve what it is you are trying to do. You can get the AV receiver to passthrough any HDMI video source while using any of the audio only sources. You fasciklitate this via the "Video Select" option listed in the OPTIONS menu:

by default 2021-12-11 at 16.49.20.png

This wouldn't require any reassignments. All you'd need to select if the HDMI input where the receiver would pass the video through from while using the associated audio only source.

AS said,, you need to reassign where the selected source gets audio from if setting the AV receiver to an HDMI source. THe AV receiver is set to access noth the audio and the video via the HDMI connection by fault, but does allow you to recpngiure the AV treceiver to look elewhere for the audio while simulataneously still accessing just the video via the HDMI connection. You don't select 2 sources at the same time, you select one source that accesses the video and the audio via 2 seperate inputs. Note that you cannot however designate the audio ccessed via one HDMI input to the video accessed via another HDMI input, but you can make the AV receiver source the audio via the analogue RCA inputs or via the digital S/PDIF inputs.

If not working for you then I'd suggest you've not correctly assign the inputs to the associated source.

I have correctly configured this, see screen shot below. And I also change the input mode to this Input. When I change to this input mode I can hear the sound from the MBP only when the HDMI is not connected to the Front HDMI, as per my assignments. If I connect the HDMI cable I only get the video input from the MBP, disconnect HDMI cable and then audio starts playing back.

I tried Dante's suggestion as well but this doesn't work really. If you see the manual it clearly states that when CD is used as the input source and any HDMI are assigned you can't set the video. And it's pretty useless for the other supported input sources as I can't use them as my input.

And here is another tidbit. When I only see the HDMI video and no sound if I press options and select Audio options it clearly shows me it's using front HDMI as Audio source, not the Analog 4.

IMG_3869.jpg

And here is confirmation of the issue. I used the Info button to show where are the sources coming from. First screen shot is with the HDMI cable disconnected. There is no video as expected, sound from the MBP plays through the AVR. Sound is Stereo and signal Analog as expected. As soon as I connect the HDMI cable form the MBP I get the video from it but the audio cuts. The second screen shot clearly shows that the Sound input is now changed to Multi Ch In and it's a PCM signal, not analog. So the input is being flipped to the HDMI input source for whatever reason and my Input assignments are not being respected...

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

And finally I just confirmed the Denon is using the HDMI audio as I changed the audio outoput on the MBP to be the HDMI outpout and the Denon started to play the audio fine. Obviously I don't want to have the sound output via the HDMI as I need to run it via the Mixer to mix it with the Mics but this proves the audio is being incorrectly flipped to the HDMI source despite the Input assignments say it should use the analog Audio.

And here is a picture of the back of the AVR. I connected the output from the mixer to the Audio In 4 CD. Maybe the MBP is outputting 4K and the AVR can't mix it with analog audio?

Denon.jpg

OK I solved it! It was a case of RTFM (see screen shot below). The problem was that the Input Select was set to Auto for this Input Mode, which is the default setting. In Auto mode the AVR "detects" the input signal and selects it by itself, ignoring the input assignments. Or perhaps if multiple audio assignments are in place choses the one it thinks it's got audio playing? So my guess is that the MBP is still outputting audio in the HDMI even though I set it to use the headphones jack or the AVR was getting confused and it was thinking the HDMI had audio in it.

In any case I changed Inout Select to Analog and bingo, the audio from my mixer started to play!

Screenshot 2021-12-11 at 22.35.29.png

There's one other option you can use to achieve what it is you are trying to do. You can get the AV receiver to passthrough any HDMI video source while using any of the audio only sources. You fasciklitate this via the "Video Select" option listed in the OPTIONS menu:

View attachment 1617965

This wouldn't require any reassignments. All you'd need to select if the HDMI input where the receiver would pass the video through from while using the associated audio only source.
I too have tried to do this to sing along to a Youtube karaoke but if HDMI for music then I can not connect music mixer to RCA’s. The easiest thing was to just use a separate cheap amp to the mixer.

I too, am trying to do this exact thing I am running hdmi from an old pc to receiver no sound comes through so I think my graphics card doesn’t have audio. When I run a cable from the optical out of the computer to my receiver, sound does not work, but if I unhook, the HDMI sound works but I lose video. I have a Sony STRDH 770. Can anybody tell me if there is a way to make this work like the op was able to do?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom