No Audio When Burning Bluray in Sony Vegas Movie Home Studio Platinum 11

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by CrashEd, Dec 6, 2011.

1. CrashEd

CrashEd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently bought a copy of Sony Vegas Movie Home Studio Platinum 11 to go with my Panasonic TM900, however I'm having problems burning Blu-rays via the 'Make Movie' wizard. The video playback seems to be fine, however there is no audio in any of the disks that I've burnt so far (about 4!). I've also tried playing back a disk in my PS3 and there is no audio output from that either. This leads me to the fact that something must be going wrong in the render/burn process.

I've watched all of the training material and carried out the interactive tutorials to the letter. I've been careful in setting the project properties and have even used the 'Match Media Settings', function to ensure that it renders the video to the same settings as the imported .mts files from my camcorder. I have also made sure that I have the 5.1 surround sound check box selected.

The weird thing is that I can render the video manually using the 'Render As' function in the File menu, and I can create a .m2ts file that has audio and video content which play back normally on the PC. I haven't tried burning this to a disk however as I don't want to wreck another (pricey) disk.

Can anyone tell me if I am doing something stupidly wrong, or if I've failed to click on a check box somewhere?! Any help would be massively appreciated!

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
  3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

Have you tried playing the disc back in a Blu-ray player or just on the computer?

What I always suggest, which is very good investment, is the purchase of a BD-RE disc, these work in all Blu-ray players and allow you to experiment without wasting a disc as you can write over it again.

Regards

Phil

4. CrashEd

CrashEd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Graham, I'll give the DVD route a try, but I have 25 Bluray disks that I'd like to use, so I'd also like to find a solution to my problem.

PhilipL, good idea regarding the BD-RE, a wise investment. I've tried playing the disk back in a PS3, but not a dedicated Bluray player. I also tried it in a PC. Neither work.

The weird thing is that if I just render the file (no burn to disk), then the .m2ts file plays back perfectly.

5. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,723
    Are you outputting audio through hdmi on your ps3?, if so check the output settings are correct.

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    You can stream 5.1 .mts to a PS3 from your computer (and a DNLA TV). Assuming both have a network connection.

PS3 Media Server

If this works it can't be a setup problem.

7. CrashEd

CrashEd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, via hdmi and optical for audio. I can play regular blurays without any problems. I still think it is a Vegas issue, however I'll try streaming the video as well just as a 'sanity check'.

8. CrashEd

CrashEd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone tell me if they are able to burn Full HD videos with 5.1 Surround Sound to a Bluray disc in Vegas Home Studio Platinum 11?

I read on another forum that you can only burn stereo Blurays??! Is this correct? If so it could be why I'm unable to get any audio on my Bluray discs (as I have it set to 5.1 surround sound)...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    It's advertised as having ac3 5.1 encoding but not surround panning (Magix Edit Pro Has 5.1 panning).

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope/compare

Only ever used Magix Edit Pro to create 5.1 blu-rays ( I prefer Magix because you can burn AVCHD to DVD blanks natively)

10. CrashEd

CrashEd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Graham, thanks for an informative post as always. I'll certainly check out Magix Edit Pro as it seems to fit the bill. I also like that you can burn AVCHD files to DVD as well - something I need to have another read up on.

Any idea which of the 3 'flavours' of Magix Edit Pro would fit the bill for my needs? I think the Movie Edit Pro MX PLUS should do it?

11. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    That's the latest version which I currently use, and yes it will fit the bill. The previous version will do so as well (if you can get it cheap). Try the trial version. Don't bother upgrading the trial, it's usually cheaper at Amazon and includes a real disc and printed manual.

12. CrashEd

CrashEd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Graham, will give the trial a go and buy from Amazon.

Does anyone have any experience of Power Director Ultra 10? It looks pretty good and does what I want it to do. Seems to get good reviews. Will probably trial this too.

13. CrashEd

CrashEd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone?

14. vkmast

vkmast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    From Sony Creative Software Knowledgebase:

Can I burn a Blu-Ray disc with 5.1 Surround Sound Using the Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum software?
    Published 03/31/2011 07:57 AM | Updated 09/12/2011 02:19 PM
    Can I burn a Blu-Ray disc with 5.1 Surround Sound Using the Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum software?

In Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum you have the ability to burn a Blu-Ray disc with 5.1 Surround Sound directly from the timeline. The Audio Tab of the Project Properties of your Vegas Project file must be set to Master Bus mode : 5.1 Surround in order to burn a Blu-Ray with Surround Sound.

To burn the disc, Navigate to Tools - Burn Disc - Blu-Ray Disc. This will provide you a Single Movie Blu-Ray disc with no menus.

If you require a Blu-Ray disc with 5.1 Surround Sound and menus, you will need to upgrade to Vegas Pro. You will need the DVD Architect Pro software, only available with Vegas Pro, in order to create a Blu-Ray disc with 5.1 surround sound and menus.

Regarding PowerDirector, see Cyberlink support forum. It's very interesting.

15. CrashEd

CrashEd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. Yeah, I read that on the Sony website but i still could not get it to work. Once my BD-RE turns up I'll give it another go.

Been over to the PD forum and asked a lot of questions etc, but I'd like some honest user feedback as well.