No audio passthrough on Samsung HW-Q900T

ClementNerma

Novice Member
Hi there!

I'm currently using a Shield TV, connected to a Samsung HW-Q900T, which itself is connected to my TV's only ARC port.

First weird thing, if I connect the soundbar on a non-ARC port, I only get a green screen. I don't know if this is normal or not, but definitely weird.

Also, when I change the sound output mode on my TV from ARC to any other setting (like optical or bluetooth), the soundbar doesn't receive anything anymore. Which makes me wonder why this passthrough feature exists if the TV is in fact receiving the audio to send it back to the soundbar afterwards?

Is this behaviour normal? If not, how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Last edited:

outoftheknow

Audio and video come from your Shield HDMI output and into the soundbar HDMI input. The soundbar takes the audio and does it’s thing and plays it. The video passes through to the soundbar HDMI output (marked ARC but not relevant at this point). From there the video goes the normal way to the TV HDMI input.

A device plugged into the TV (not ARC socket) would do similar - the TV is a video device so takes the video, passing through the audio to the TV speakers or the ARC socket. To hear the sound on the soundbar m, the soundbar HDMI output is plugged into the TV HDMI input marked ARC.

sound from TV internal apps etc also have audio sent to TV speakers or ARC.

check settings for each HDMI socket involved on each device. Plugging the Shield into the soundbar should in theory be almost “default”. ARC is not used and passing through video should be the “default” setting on the soundbar.

Upvote 0

ClementNerma

Novice Member
Audio and video come from your Shield HDMI output and into the soundbar HDMI input. The soundbar takes the audio and does it’s thing and plays it. The video passes through to the soundbar HDMI output (marked ARC but not relevant at this point). From there the video goes the normal way to the TV HDMI input.

A device plugged into the TV (not ARC socket) would do similar - the TV is a video device so takes the video, passing through the audio to the TV speakers or the ARC socket. To hear the sound on the soundbar m, the soundbar HDMI output is plugged into the TV HDMI input marked ARC.

sound from TV internal apps etc also have audio sent to TV speakers or ARC.

check settings for each HDMI socket involved on each device. Plugging the Shield into the soundbar should in theory be almost “default”. ARC is not used and passing through video should be the “default” setting on the soundbar.

So that means the audio does not stop at the soundbar but is sent to the TV as well? In that case, what's the point of passthrough at all on the soundbar?

Upvote 0

outoftheknow

So that means the audio does not stop at the soundbar but is sent to the TV as well? In that case, what's the point of passthrough at all on the soundbar?
Sorry it wasn’t clear. The soundbar only needs audio audio input as that is what it processes and plays. Video inputted to an HDMI input socket will passthrough to the soundbar HDMI output as you say.

When you plug the Shield into a soundbar HDMI input socket, audio and video go from the Shield into the soundbar. The soundbar takes the audio and passes through the video to the soundbar HDMI output socket. That video goes through the cable to a TV HDMI input socket and the TV displays the video. The soundbar as an audio device passes video through.

ARC is irrelevant in this setup - it isn’t used. However you connect the soundbar and TV with the sockets marked ARC (or eARC) so audio from the TV can be sent to the soundbar.

ARC takes audio from the TV - internal sources or from audio/video devices plugged into a TV HDMI input - and takes it to the soundbar which sees the ARC audio as an input. The soundbar plays the audio from the ARC connection. The TV as a video device passes audio through.

Upvote 0

ClementNerma

Novice Member
Sorry it wasn’t clear. The soundbar only needs audio audio input as that is what it processes and plays. Video inputted to an HDMI input socket will passthrough to the soundbar HDMI output as you say.

When you plug the Shield into a soundbar HDMI input socket, audio and video go from the Shield into the soundbar. The soundbar takes the audio and passes through the video to the soundbar HDMI output socket. That video goes through the cable to a TV HDMI input socket and the TV displays the video. The soundbar as an audio device passes video through.

ARC is irrelevant in this setup - it isn’t used. However you connect the soundbar and TV with the sockets marked ARC (or eARC) so audio from the TV can be sent to the soundbar.

ARC takes audio from the TV - internal sources or from audio/video devices plugged into a TV HDMI input - and takes it to the soundbar which sees the ARC audio as an input. The soundbar plays the audio from the ARC connection. The TV as a video device passes audio through.
Thanks for the explanation.

So that means that, in my case, the sound goes from the soundbar to the TV and then back to the soundbar because it's connected to an ARC port is that right?

And so I could prevent this behaviour by simply not connecting it to an ARC port?

Upvote 0

outoftheknow

Thanks for the explanation.

So that means that, in my case, the sound goes from the soundbar to the TV and then back to the soundbar because it's connected to an ARC port is that right?

And so I could prevent this behaviour by simply not connecting it to an ARC port?
Nk that shouldn’t be happening. The soundbar s only sending video to the TV.

You need the ARC for audio coming back to the soundbar from TV sources.

So from the shield HDMI outputconnect a cable to the soundbar HDMI input. Then a cable from the soundbar output (marked ARC) to the TV HDMI input marked ARC.

unless you have already interfered with settings you should get sound from the soundbar by choosing the input as the one the Shield is plugged into.

video passthrough should be the default so you should get a picture on the TV. Y selecting the HDMI m(ARC) input on the TV

if required (no picture) unplug the Shield from the soundbar and plug it into a TV HDMI input (leave the other cable where it is). Select the HDMI input as the input dinette TV and you should get a picture. Check the Shield settings for audio and video out. Set them for audio you know the soundbar can handle and video the TV can handle.

Now select the HDMI (ARC) input on the TV. I think you should be able to see the soundbar menu. Check the soundbar settings for the HDMI input you will plug the Shield into. Find the video passthrough setting and make sure that is set as passthrough.

Now unplug the Shield from the TV and plug it into the soundbar input where you set the settings. You should get the audio on the soundbar and video on the TV from the Shield.

Upvote 0

ClementNerma

Novice Member
I actually already get sound from the sound bar, but the thing that bugs me is that if I don't select the ARC audio output on my tv the tv itself is capable of sending the audio through e.g. the optical output.

Which means that the TV does get the sound from the sound bar, even though it shouldn't as the Shield is plugged it to the sound bar itself and as you said shouldn't send the audio to the tv.

Upvote 0

outoftheknow

I actually already get sound from the sound bar, but the thing that bugs me is that if I don't select the ARC audio output on my tv the tv itself is capable of sending the audio through e.g. the optical output.

Which means that the TV does get the sound from the sound bar, even though it shouldn't as the Shield is plugged it to the sound bar itself and as you said shouldn't send the audio to the tv.
I more confused about what you are seeing and hearing now……

you getting a picture from the Shield through the soundbar?

why does it matter if the TV gets sound with the video and sends it to optical? Presumably that also sends it to ARC but the soundbar should be set for the Shield input - not Din. Have you connected optical as well fir sone reason?

I don’t know the settings on the soundbar but normally I wouldn’t expect audio to pass through with the video of set to passthrough.

you need to check the settings on each device and follow audio and video separately where you want them to go.

you don’t need to plug the soundbar into the ARC on the TV to get things working to start with. Plug it into any other TV HDMI input. If you get audio on the TV as well as a picture try settings on the soundbar to see if you can stop the audio.

get alm that set and working before unplugging the soundbar at the TV and plugging it into the HDMI ARC TV input. The HDMI input settings for that input should be set the same as what worked on the other one.

get that working before worrying about getting audio from the TV to the soundbar over ARC.

change soundbar input to Din with ARC enabled when ready to get sound from the TV. Switch off the Shield to make sure it isn’t interfering. Put a channel on on the TV and set audio out Din with ARC enabled . You should get the TV channel audio from the soundbar.

the soundbar can be set for only one audio input. ARC if from the TV and is an audio input for the soundbar.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom