No audio on film I recorded- Picture but no sound ?!

gill957

Banned
I have recorded 3 films from Sky hd hard drive onto my dvd recorder - its recorded the pic but i dont get any sound at all . (av2 on dvd recorder)
I have a Onkyo 706 av receiver .
I have everything plugged into the 4 hdmi inputs and a optical lead from sky into receiver.
I have scart from dvd recorder into sky and tv . Dvd recorder is hdmi into receiver-do i need a optical cable as well from dvd recorder into the amp to get audio on the recorded films .
A pre-recorded bought dvd plays fine !?
Totally confused -please help .

Last edited:

Broadz

Distinguished Member
It is almost certainly the scart lead between Sky out and DVDR in that is not seated correctly at one end or the other, or is not a fully wired scart cable - this is the solution to 99% of problems where audio works but video doesn't, or video works but audio doesn't.

Ignore your amplifier, HDMI cables and optical cables - these are all to do with feeding audio from various pieces of AV equipment through a surround sound processor, or sending a high definition (or upscaled SD) picture to your television. This has nothing to do with recording digital stereo sound on your DVDR from external sources.

Last edited:

gill957

Banned
The scart leads are definately in firmly as i checked them all first .
How do you know if its a fully wired scart lead - didn''t know there were different ones !?
Its been the same one in it for ages -but this is the first time i bothered to copy anything onto a disc !i

IanTHarvey

I'm guessing that the optical audio feed from the Sky box may be, by default, suppressing the audio output via SCART and HDMI. The logic being that if you're feeding the audio out from the Sky box to the optical output and, by inference, to an AV amp you don't want the audio coming out of the TV as well. Try recording something with the optical output disconnected.

Gavtech

Administrator
It may be a HDCP compliance issue.

If there is a device connected which is not compliant it will kill the sound on the copy output. Try disconnecting HDMI and see if it will copy.

gill957

Banned
Which hdmi do i need to disconnect ?
I am quite a novice at this !!

If i take the optical out of the amp and then try the films i recorded -is there a chance there will be sound on them -or are these recordings no good and i am not going to get sound from them now !?
Thanks

Gavtech

Administrator
Which hdmi do i need to disconnect ?
I am quite a novice at this !!

If i take the optical out of the amp and then try the films i recorded -is there a chance there will be sound on them -or are these recordings no good and i am not going to get sound from them now !?
Thanks

Who knows. Your system is way overcomplicated for the purposes of testing.

The sound may indeed be present on the recordings but possibly you are feeding out the wrong type of encoded format sound.

Ideally you would have nothing more than a scart from HD sky and a scart from the DVDR to your TV so that you could monitor the sound direct ON THE TV and therefore would KNOW whether the sound is getting through to the DVDR. At present you cannot tell either way.

DVDR's almost without exception can only record 2 channels sound - and you may have a sound setting digital output not suited for this... but your current arrangement does not allow you to determine this or not.

First you need to be able to know whether the sky unit is outputting sound... If it is not then it is probably an HDCP issue ... If it is, then presumably it has recorded but you are just not able to hear it using the routes you are because of a settings issue.

Probably the simplest way to find all the answers is to connect a scart from DVDR to TV and monitor the availability of sound before and after using the TV basic sound system as a monitor.

If you want to, instead, speculatively test for whether it is a HDCP issue then disconnect the HDMI lead in the sky unit... and monitor via the DVDR.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
I'm guessing that the optical audio feed from the Sky box may be, by default, suppressing the audio output via SCART and HDMI. The logic being that if you're feeding the audio out from the Sky box to the optical output and, by inference, to an AV amp you don't want the audio coming out of the TV as well. Try recording something with the optical output disconnected.

Good guess - but not how a Sky box works. Audio (and video) will always be transmitted via scart (and RF) regardless of whether you are also using HDMI and/or optical/coaxial output.

As Gav says - the OP needs to turn off his amp. Turn up the volume on his TV. Select DVDR input on his TV. Select AV2 as the source on his DVDR. See whether he can both watch and hear Sky via the two scart connections (scart from Sky to DVDR, scart from DVDR to TV). If he can, then try recording. Then play back the recordings, and see whether he can still hear the volume of the Sky channel he has just recorded. If he can, there is nothing wrong with his connections and his Sky box is correctly outputting audio, and his DVDR is correctly recording that audio. What all of his HDMI connections between DVDR and amp are doing is anybody's guess....

My best mate's called Darren Gill - I'm sure his user name is GillXXX (where XXX is a number) also.

I know somebody called Mark Gill.

gill957

Banned
Just bumping this and seeing if anyone else has any ideas .
I have tried all suggestions -swapped leads , been into menus on everything !
Swapped leads round, connected to tv only -still no sound !

Sorreltiger

I have Sky+HD and a Panasonic DVD Recorder - I can record programmes from the Sky box to DVD as you want to do.
The Sky box has scart out to the DVD recorder. You don't need another scart to the TV, as the signal is coming from the Sky box and the output is going to the TV via HDMI. I think that could be the problem - check you're using the correct scart out from the recorder.

gill957

Banned
Hi,
Connected as follows:
bottom scart of dvd recorder is going into top scart of sky hd (vcr)
Top scart of dvd recorder -going into tv -input av1
Sky hd bottom scart (tv) is going into AV2 on tv.

I have a optical lead going from sky hd box into my amp for 5.1 sound .

I have no problems recording onto the sky hd hard drive - this is fine -it records picture and sound
The problem is copying from the hard drive onto a disc on the dvd recorder- it copies the picture fine -but without any audio.

alsina

Hi,
Connected as follows:

I have no problems recording onto the sky hd hard drive - this is fine -it records picture and sound
The problem is copying from the hard drive onto a disc on the dvd recorder- it copies the picture fine -but without any audio.

Have you tried swapping the scart lead between the Sky box and the recorder? What make/model is the recorder?

Last edited:

gill957

Banned
Yes, i have changed the scart lead too and tried a different one.
Its ex75 panasonic.Dvd recorder with freeview.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi,
Connected as follows:

This issue has stretched out unnecessarily.

What and how is the DVDR connected to for playback purposes?
Do you have anything in the top scart [AV1] - or HDMI?

Obviously you have not done some of the tests outlined earlier.
It should be possible to monitor a recording you are about to make and establish whether you have sound outputting from the DVDR .

This must be determined to establish whether you have a simple configuration problem or a fault. Currently all signs are it is the former.

So far you have only mentioned lack of sound on disc but not said how and where you are playing those discs back - using which device and by what output method

I suggest you connect a scart from AV1 of the DVDR to the TV, Select AV2 as the input source on the DVDR [ shows as A2 on display] play sky HD and see if you have sound coming through to the TV.

Report the result... and / or explain your full configuration.

Sorreltiger

The DMR-EX 75 has HDMI out. Use that with the optical out. You don't need any Scart out. Your Scart out from the Sky box (the one you describe as bottom Scart (TV)) needs to go the the Scart in of the DVD recorder (AV2 input). If everything is connected properly, there's no reason why that shouldn't work.

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I repeat, to simplify matters, the DMR-EX 75 has HDMI out to the TV. I'm sure the OP said it was connected by HDMI AND Scart, whereas the Scart isn't necessary and won't produce the best picture.

Gavin (Gavtech) is well aware of that...he's trying to help the OP with her no audio problem...picture quality isn't important to her at this stage. :lesson:

gill957

Banned
This issue has stretched out unnecessarily.

What and how is the DVDR connected to for playback purposes?
Do you have anything in the top scart [AV1] - or HDMI?

Obviously you have not done some of the tests outlined earlier.
It should be possible to monitor a recording you are about to make and establish whether you have sound outputting from the DVDR .

This must be determined to establish whether you have a simple configuration problem or a fault. Currently all signs are it is the former.

So far you have only mentioned lack of sound on disc but not said how and where you are playing those discs back - using which device and by what output method

I suggest you connect a scart from AV1 of the DVDR to the TV, Select AV2 as the input source on the DVDR [ shows as A2 on display] play sky HD and see if you have sound coming through to the TV.

Report the result... and / or explain your full configuration.

I have done what you suggested !
The discs are RAM so can only be played back on the panasonic dvd recorder .
Yes i have sky coming through the tv .
I have sound from the dvd recorder.
The only problem seems to be -copying from sky hard drive onto dvd recorders disc.

Why has it stetched on so long !?
Answer : I still have the problem !

Full configuration is already on here !
Yes i have tried different scart leads .

So, what you are saying is -there should only be 1 scart lead - going from dvd recorder into the sky box .
No scart from sky into tv as its connected with hdmi and optical.which is going into the amp .
No scart going from dvd recorder into tv as that is also connected by hdmi into the amp.

Gavtech -perhaps you should have a little patience with novices !

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
I have done what you suggested !
The discs are RAM so can only be played back on the panasonic dvd recorder .
Yes i have sky coming through the tv .
I have sound from the dvd recorder.
The only problem seems to be -copying from sky hard drive onto dvd recorders disc.

Why has it stetched on so long !?
Answer : I still have the problem !

Full configuration is already on here !
Yes i have tried different scart leads .

So, what you are saying is -there should only be 1 scart lead - going from dvd recorder into the sky box .
No scart from sky into tv as its connected with hdmi and optical.which is going into the amp .
No scart going from dvd recorder into tv as that is also connected by hdmi into the amp.

Gavtech -perhaps you should have a little patience with novices !

I am well known for my endless patience on this forum...and I will support you until this issue is resolved.. but it does depend on those with problems reporting back results.

This should be a relatively easy problem to diagnose.
I gave all the necessary diagnostic routes to try back in post 7 almost a month ago. You have made no report about that.

In that post I gave one possible very good reason for the loss of sound, given the way you are connected - that you are encountering HDCP protection that eliminates the sound deliberately from copies.

So the first obvious thing to do is abandon that connection system to check if this may be the cause. You have made no report about that.

As was said early in the thread - It is not known whether sound actually IS present on the recording - but you are not hearing it.... and that also needs to be tested for. You have made no report about that.

That is why I say this is dragging out unnecessarily.

Bumping the thread and reporting :

Just bumping this and seeing if anyone else has any ideas .
I have tried all suggestions -swapped leads , been into menus on everything !
Swapped leads round, connected to tv only -still no sound !​

...does not constitute a proper report from which we can deduce what your problem is.

Testing has to be systematic and meaningful.

Try without any HDMI leads. See if you get sound coming through via scart routes... that you can monitor it ... and try to record it and play back.

gill957

Banned
The DMR-EX 75 has HDMI out. Use that with the optical out. You don't need any Scart out. Your Scart out from the Sky box (the one you describe as bottom Scart (TV)) needs to go the the Scart in of the DVD recorder (AV2 input). If everything is connected properly, there's no reason why that shouldn't work.

I dont have a optical lead in the dvd recorder.
I have optical in sky hd to get 5.1 sound .
I get this with the dvd recorder without a optical lead.

Broadz

Distinguished Member

Could this be the source of the problem? The OP seems to be expecting audio from her recorded discs to play through her amp - which is connected to her DVDR via HDMI. As a lot of amps need informing what audio they can/cannot play back automatically, and as all DVD recording is done in DD2.0 (as opposed to DD5.1, DTS etc which all commercial DVDs will be encoded in) will it be necessary for the OP to configure her amp to set it up to be able to decode PCM signals?

And OP, if you do connect your DVD recorder directly to your TV via scart, then play back some of these recordings that you have made from Sky, can you hear the audio? I suspect you will be able to - which means that the recording does include audio, it is just the connectivity between DVDR and amp, and the encoding of the audio on the recording, that needs sorting out.

Don't try shortcutting this - i.e. by saying "I'm not going to use scart between DVDR and TV for viewing, so I'm not going to bother making these connections". This isn't a long term solution - it is the quickest method of checking whether the audio is being written to discs or not. Once we have verified that the audio is being written to disc, we can try to sort out why your amp isn't playing back this audio when connected via HDMI.

Gavtech

Administrator
Could this be the source of the problem? The OP seems to be expecting audio from her recorded discs to play through her amp - which is connected to her DVDR via HDMI. As a lot of amps need informing what audio they can/cannot play back automatically, and as all DVD recording is done in DD2.0 (as opposed to DD5.1, DTS etc which all commercial DVDs will be encoded in) will it be necessary for the OP to configure her amp to set it up to be able to decode PCM signals?

Yes - or configure the output of the DVDR to an encoding type that the amp will handle.

It could well be, and probably is as simple as this ... but until the OP does some systematic testing we can never know.

OP - for your information - the route to change the audio output type is:
Press the display button [ bottom row of remote] and select the audio option and cycle through the output type options.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio