1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No audio on component connection

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by handsy, Jun 27, 2005.

1. handsy

handsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Got a new DK Digital 500 player today. It has progressive scan and component out, so in my mind was a perfect match for my new Samsung 32" LCD (LE32R41B).

Hooked up, and no sound :(. Picture, but no sound. Component leads were bought from a Power Seller on eBay. Look fine to me. Tried player via SCART and all's well.

Can I troubleshoot the component connection ? Swap leads round, etc.

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks

2. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not an expert but I believe component is a video link only, you will need to hook up for sound with optical audio, coax, phono or similar to your av or telly.

Geoff

3. handsy

handsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hahaha, are you serious ! I didn't realise I knew so little about home AV ;)

So, I'd need to invest in a complete external audio setup just to be able to watch component video :(

Can someone else confirm/deny this ?

4. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should have expanded on above, its only a cable I'm refering to, to use the component lead/conection you will also need a seperate cable for audio.
    I assume you have an audio input on your telly?

5. handsy

handsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    so what cable do I need for audio ?

The DVD player has optical out, coaxial, or 5.1 analogue connections. Is it the coaxial ?

The TV has inputs next to component for audio L & R ?

/me confused :rolleyes:

6. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. handsy

handsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Oh right, so there's no such cable as coaxial (1 port) to RCA (2 port) ?

Thanks for your help so far :)

8. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why dont you try a web search or search the site I pointed you to or search the forums? Then you'll know all by yourself if such a cable existed.

Your manual BTW shows most of the various ways to connect your player although it does omit the fact that component is a video only connection.

Hope you manage to work it out.

Bye

9. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yup, it's video only. You'll need RCA cables (white and red) to carry the sound, and plug them into the audio input beside the Component inputs on your TV.

10. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    It's not really been explained fully to you yet, so here goes...

There are two types of sound coming out from your DVD player. There is conventional analogue stereo, and there is multi-channel digital. The conventional analogue is a pair of phonos (or RCA connectors, if you prefer) and these have a direct equivalent on the back of your TV. So, connect a twin phono lead from the DVD to the TV audio-in sockets and you will get stereo sound coming from your TV. Or, if you have an external stereo sound system, you could connect the DVD to that instead of the TV. Now you will get the picture from the TV and the sound from your HiFi. Not much use unless the speakers are placed either side of the TV.

Alternatively, you can take a digital feed from your DVD and feed that to a pukka 5.1 surround sound A/V amplifier system. This uses either another single phono, or an SPDif optical cable. There's no difference between the two, it's just two different ways to connect the same thing. Some DVD players and some A/V amps only have one sort, while others have both. It's a case of matching up what you've got.

The third scenario is that your TV has surround sound built in, in which case it too will have either a phono or optical (or both) digital input. If you connected it up that way your TV would provide the 5.1 surround sound instead of ordinary stereo, but true Dolby Digital TVs are not that common.

Regards

Mark

11. handsy

handsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for all your help guys :)

I've now found an RCA cable, and connected from TV outs to DVD player front outs. All's well.....

Will probably buy a separate external AV package v.soon. Looking at the Yamaha AV Package 57 here. Looks sweet ;)