No audio from centre when set to direct (marantz Sr6012)

dante01

Distinguished Member
The SR6012 is at least 4 years old and wasn't priced at £2K when it was launched. Not even the SR6015 sells for that and the SR6015 is the most current model of the AV receiver in question. The SR6015 currently retails for less than £1,200 and not £2K.

Which cheap chinese AVR are you referreing to? No AV receiver can output video to a TV while ARC is in use. Chinese or not, it isn't possible to fascilitate this. ARC repurposes the HDMI connection so that only audio is conveyed from the TV to the AV receiver or a soundbar. It isn't in ARCs remit to facilitate the convetance of video or the AV receiver's onscreen graphics while ARC is in active use. THis is why you dpn't get an onscreen representation of the AV receiver's menus while ARC is being used. to source the audio gtom your TV.

The only way to access Atmos sourced via the apps on your TV would be by using ARC. No, there's no other way to convey it from a TV to an AV receiver. You could access SD Dolby Digital using the TV's optical audio output, but S/PDIF optical doesn't support the DD+ encoded audio that the streaming serrvices use to package Atmos metadata with. Besides which, even if using optical, the AV receiver would still not have any ability to convey its graphics to your TV. The TV is the video source and not your AV receiver. How is the AV receiver supposed to mix its graphics into the video if the video isn't actually being passed through the AV receive?

ARC stands for Audio REturn Channel. The clue is in the name and it has nothing at all to do with the video. While using ARC to source the audio from a TV, the HDMI cable is not used to convey any video from the AV receiver to that TV.

Unless you've an actual speaker configuration that supports Atmos you'd be listening to 5.1 DD+ and not Atmos. The AV receiver only processes and presents Atmos if you've such a setup. THe Atmos metadata is part of a package that also includes channel based 5.1 DD+ and it is the channel based element you'd be hearing with your current speaker configuration.

You'd need at least a 7.1 or preferably a 5.1.2 configuration minimum to process and portray Atmos if and when the incoming signal includes Atmos metadata.

Last edited:

DavidT

Whilst my Sony TV has all the streaming apps available I still use an Amazon FireTV 4k stick plugged into my AVR. Zero eARC issues, although I didn't have any issues with the TV apps either.

slim01

[/QUOTE]
The SR6012 is at least 4 years old and wasn't priced at £2K when it was launched. Not even the SR6015 sells for that and the SR6015 is the most current model of the AV receiver in question. The SR6015 currently retails for less than £1,200 and not £2K.
[/QUOTE]

This is what marantz are asking now (and IIRC even 6012 was £1300)... sr6015 = ain't good enough for extra display, you need to go up to £1900 for the sr7015 = almost £2k... and that's as you put it how it is. Fair enough though, my fault for assuming I'd still have full info displayed and the only issue would be tiny writing. Easily rectified but they didn't.

Not sure which cheap chinese Avr but literally marantz is the only brand I know of without full display?

[/QUOTE]
No AV receiver can output video to a TV while ARC is in use. Chinese or not, it isn't possible to fascilitate this. ARC repurposes the HDMI connection so that only audio is conveyed from the TV to the AV receiver or a soundbar. It isn't in ARCs remit to facilitate the convetance of video or the AV receiver's onscreen graphics while ARC is in active use. THis is why you dpn't get an onscreen representation of the AV receiver's menus while ARC is being used. to source the audio gtom your TV.
[/QUOTE]

In China i had a few. One, an edifier was £140 odd with 5.1 speakers Inc... was pretty good actually (Kef copies I think) .
And as you've mentioned the slimline ones have full display, why not the sr5xxx / 6xxx?

[/QUOTE]
The only way to access Atmos sourced via the apps on your TV would be by using ARC. No, there's no other way to convey it from a TV to an AV receiver. You could access SD Dolby Digital using the TV's optical audio output, but S/PDIF optical doesn't support the DD+ encoded audio that the streaming serrvices use to package Atmos metadata with. Besides which, even if using optical, the AV receiver would still not have any ability to convey its graphics to your TV. The TV is the video source and not your AV receiver. How is the AV receiver supposed to mix its graphics into the video if the video isn't actually being passed through the AV receive?

ARC stands for Audio REturn Channel. The clue is in the name and it has nothing at all to do with the video. While using ARC to source the audio from a TV, the HDMI cable is not used to convey any video from the AV receiver to that TV.
[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY - And herein lies the issue with the porthole???
You don't (well I don't) know for sure WHAT the amp is doing sometimes if I can't see it on OSD. Can I only guess? Is my amp even getting HD audio? Or standard dolby digital?

A shame, but thanks for this info it makes sense. I used to think hdmi was capable of sending and receiving audio/video simultaneously, therefore amps info didn't need to be "mixed" in with the feed, could go over the top like PIP.
In fact... Not saying you're wrong, but my onkyo used to have its volume bar show up on screen with blu ray (exact same setup as now). Why can't I use "info" on marantz?
The 6012 can do 4k 60 though, can it send out...
4k @ 60
+atmos/dts x
+dolby vision, all with one hdmi?

If yes - issue sorted on blu ray at least. Single hdmi from 4k to avr.

[/QUOTE]
Unless you've an actual speaker configuration that supports Atmos you'd be listening to 5.1 Dd
You'd need at least a 7.1 or preferably a 5.1.2 configuration minimum to process and portray Atmos if and when the incoming signal includes Atmos metadata.
[/QUOTE]

Ummm well yeah, 3.1.2 would sound pretty odd lol.

[/QUOTE]
Which films?

Even if shot at 8K resolution, you'd not have them released as such due to the post production. THe additional resoltion is required for the editing. Neither can you benefit from mastering older film stock as 8K digital content.

8K is a gimmick with very few actual advantages.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry but this is completely incorrect. Big screen size yes but also how close you're sat is a factor. You need to think about the future my friend. And 8k is the future. No idea what source (or hardware) was (can't read Chinese), maybe raw video cam footage? but eyes 5cm away from at least a 70" panel and couldn't see a single pixel. Maybe "8k" wasn't even the true res.

Don't agree on price either - you can get a brand new 70 inch TV for less than £400???
This is unless you're talking about right now then I'll agree 100% it's not worth it atm (not a gimmick though). But I don't buy an amp to last a few years though personally.
Don't even get me started on 4k remasters (2001 space odyssey was shot in what the 60s and that's had all the work done on it)... the nay sayers said 4k was pointless, Inc me lol. Yet 2022 and 1080p looks noticeably bad to me now.

[/QUOTE]
Yjr only real beneficiary from HDMI 2.1 has been the gaming industry with 4K 120Hz and even this has drawbacks.
[/QUOTE]
Agreed on console. DV missing @ 120hz for one.
Haven't seen any drawbacks on PC (no dolby v games anyway?). But tbh 4k @ 120fps isn't really feasible on a console anyway yet (they barely run 4k @ 60fps). Page from my own book there - "yet". Ps5pro / ps6 maybe even ps7 in my AVRs lifetime.

[/QUOTE]
All in all there's no great rush to make 8K content.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've certainly never felt a rush?

slim01

Zero eARC issues, although I didn't have any issues with the TV apps either.
Yeah my issues are either
a) TV apps.
b) TV faulty eARC.
C) faulty amp.

This is amazing I think you... You may have just found the cure to my problem then.

I can get Get a 4k firestick, plug that in the marantz, then from what Dante has said the marantz should be able to put an info display into the mix.

Whilst my Sony TV has all the streaming apps available I still use an Amazon FireTV 4k stick plugged into my AVR.
You have a Marantz also? Is the porthole the reason you do it? If not I'm wondering why / what benefits?

Great though... As
So even if this damn TV has faulty eARC, it won't matter.

Thanks so much.

DavidT

Yeah my issues are either
a) TV apps.
b) TV faulty eARC.
C) faulty amp.

This is amazing I think you... You may have just found the cure to my problem then.

I can get Get a 4k firestick, plug that in the marantz, then from what Dante has said the marantz should be able to put an info display into the mix.

You have a Marantz also? Is the porthole the reason you do it? If not I'm wondering why / what benefits?

Great though... As
So even if this damn TV has faulty eARC, it won't matter.

Thanks so much.
I have a Denon X4500. I only used the FireTV as a backup but find im using it more and more. I still use the TV apps as well. I see no benefit from using either over the other but it might be a workaround for your particular issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom