No audio from centre speaker

TheGreatMido

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi! I recently invested in a 5.1.4 speaker setup with the Denon AVC-X3700H and a mixture of Oberon speakers, including the Vokal for centre. I've been busy setting up and calibrating but now that my audio tests have begun in earnest I've noticed that the centre speaker is only recruited under very specific circumstances.

I've tried a variety of video games across multiple consoles (all of which have correctly set audio, as far as I know) as well as Netflix shows and some music via the HEOS app and the only way I've been able to force centre audio is with unwanted stereo modes that artificially recruit speakers. Pressing the INFO button shows that the centre is theoretically in play and I can get test tone no problem, I just can't get my consoles to activate it.

I've tried various modes I would actually want to use, including Dolby Atmos, Dolby Surround and uncompressed 5.1, and nothing's working; I'm only getting stereo dialogue and other sound aspects via the front speakers (and sound from all others, including the four heights). This can't be right, surely? I was under the impression that the centre speaker is supposed to be doing a lot of the work, particularly with dialogue.

I'm really hoping there's a setting I'm overlooking somewhere as it doesn't seem like there's a fault given that I can get the speaker to kick in sometimes, and that the fronts are clearly behaving like they think they need to to cover for an absent centre. Any suggestions would be much appreciated please as currently the soundscape feels like it has a giant hole in it!

Hi! I recently invested in a 5.1.4 speaker setup with the Denon AVC-X3700H and a mixture of Oberon speakers, including the Vokal for centre. I've been busy setting up and calibrating but now that my audio tests have begun in earnest I've noticed that the centre speaker is only recruited under very specific circumstances.

I've tried a variety of video games across multiple consoles (all of which have correctly set audio, as far as I know) as well as Netflix shows and some music via the HEOS app and the only way I've been able to force centre audio is with unwanted stereo modes that artificially recruit speakers. Pressing the INFO button shows that the centre is theoretically in play and I can get test tone no problem, I just can't get my consoles to activate it.

I've tried various modes I would actually want to use, including Dolby Atmos, Dolby Surround and uncompressed 5.1, and nothing's working; I'm only getting stereo dialogue and other sound aspects via the front speakers (and sound from all others, including the four heights). This can't be right, surely? I was under the impression that the centre speaker is supposed to be doing a lot of the work, particularly with dialogue.

I'm really hoping there's a setting I'm overlooking somewhere as it doesn't seem like there's a fault given that I can get the speaker to kick in sometimes, and that the fronts are clearly behaving like they think they need to to cover for an absent centre. Any suggestions would be much appreciated please as currently the soundscape feels like it has a giant hole in it!
I'd suggest setting up Audyssey again as a first step.
The centre isn't active in stereo music via Heos unless you use a mode that uses all the speakers.

I'd suggest setting up Audyssey again as a first step.
The centre isn't active in stereo music via Heos unless you use a mode that uses all the speakers.

I won't be able to do it at a sociable hour for a good few days unfortunately but when I get a chance I'll try that, thanks.

I made Heos engage the central speaker by messing with it, one of the reasons why I know it's functional.

Just a simple one, you haven't got the amp placed in direct mode with it showing stereo only?

No, I've been trying a variety of modes via the AVR remote and by changing the hard source on the consoles themselves.

It was just a thought as you mentioned everything was running in stereo. I'd say, if you don't resolve it with re-running the room EQ, I'd perform a factory reset and start again if the centre was working before

If you have been messing with other parts of the system, then recheck your speaker connection on the speaker and amp just to be sure that nothing has become loose

Yeah, I think it's definitely worth me sitting down with it when I get a proper chance and checking for any physical issues. This is all very strange though, and given that I'm also struggling to get results from my subwoofer I'm starting to get anxious about the whole endeavour!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom