No audio from a USB-HDMI capture device

bazzerkap

Novice Member
I have just bought a plug-in USB3.0 HDMI-input Video capture device to get all my video recordings on various DVD recorders onto my PC.

Using OBS Studio software I can get the device working fine with video but no way will it transfer the audio to my PC. I've tried every possible combination of settings in OBS and in Windows Sound too but not a dicky bird of audio emits. I have tried the device on two different PC's both running Windows 10 and using OBS Studio, one which has a dedicated soundcard and the other the built-in realtek. But results are exactly the same. No audio at all. Could it be a faulty device? Or can someone who has maybe had the same initial problem tell me what I might try? Thanks.

Gavtech

Administrator
HDMI only carries digital sound so the output of the source must deliver a digital audio type that your capture device can intake.

Check what that is and adjust the sound output settings of your DVD recorder to match.

But another problem you may encounter is that HDMI devices will kill the sound (deliberately) in cases where they detect any copyright protected material ( probably everything on a DVDR) in cases where the sink device is not a TV.

bazzerkap

Novice Member
Thanks Gavtech. The device proposes to be able to capture video and audio using any HDMI source so I assume it will handle my sources which are various DVD recorders, Upscalers and Satboxes. I have tried each but still no audio. I think it is just a faulty device. I've informed the supplier and sent some screenshots etc so will see what he says. I only capture off-air and my own camera recordings, never DVDs etc so copyright flagging won't apply.

Gavtech

Administrator
Have you tried changing the digital audio output type? It is worth trying.

Which DVD recorder(s) are you using?

bazzerkap

Novice Member
No, I am not sure how to do that on the devices I have. They are mainly Panny DMR-HS2's plus Panny DMR-BS750's. Plus a ISIS SU 20 upscaler which has just one HDMI output (which I want everything to pass through) I also have Betamax and VHS recorders passing through this upscaler too. I have tried all the DMR BS750's directly connected via HDMI too (by-passing the upscaler). The DMR-HS2's are not HDMI hence why they pass through the upscaler to utilise it's HDMI output. The upscaler has no audio adjustment on the HDMI output. There is an optical and Coaxial audio input on the upscaler and wondering if one of these must be connected in addition to the HDMI feed? But as I mentioned, I have tried the DMR-BS750's direct using HDMI cable only and nothing comes through (there is no separate co-ax or optical input for audio on the capture device, just HDMI in). I have ordered a Blackmagic 4K HDMI capture card and will fit that and see how it goes with that.

Last edited:

jwillis84

Standard Member
I had a similar problem.

It works perfectly with OBS now.

HDMI capture device.jpg

These were the devices found.

I setup Video Capture Device: "USB Video" and a had to check [x] Use custom audio device
Then select Audio Device: "Digital Audio Interface (USB Di "

I think you have to setup OBS to work at audio 48 KHz, but I'm not certain. This is because the capture device doesn't adapt to different audio sampling rates and I think Windows Mixer can handle the 96 KHz to 48 KHz sample conversion, but not 44.1 KHz. - its just a guess on my part.

If it matters.

OBS 25.0.8 (64 bit) on Windows 7 x64

tested with an HDMI cable from Apple TV HD to the capture device and played YouTube videos, audio and video appear perfect

bazzerkap

Novice Member
Thanks for all your advice. I have heard back from the seller who has contacted the manufacturer and they agree it is a faulty device. I am being refunded and do not need to return it to them. I am expecting a Blackmagic card which I am sure will work fine, but will also try your suggestion above with the USB device later and see if that will work. Nothing to lose now anyway.

Cheers.

bazzerkap

Novice Member
Checked out your suggestion out but sadly no joy, so the device MUST be faulty. Never mind I am getting refunded anyway. Thanks again for trying to help.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom