No audio capture on Power Director

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by BillMat32, Jun 9, 2015.

1. BillMat32

BillMat32
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an old VHS recorder/player. To transfer material from VHS to computer files, I have connected the AV outputs (red, white and yellow phonos) to a Canopus AV to Firewire converter. Firewire goes to firewire PCI card in PC. If I play the VHS, video and audio are correctly captured by Movavi video editor and are seen and heard in the preview screen. Using Power Director, however, video is displayed and captured correctly but there is no audio heard in preview or captured. As one piece of software works and the other doesn't I feel this must be a simple setting but I cannot see anything obvious in either Power Director or on my pc's sound settings that would fix this. Has anyone any ideas please?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    Welcome to the forum BillMat32 :hiya:

Unfortunately I'm not a Power Director user so all I can do is try to Google for an answer :confused:

However I did find a manual for the software here: http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/CyberLink PowerDirector Manual.pdf
    and on page 50 it lists the supported audio formats as
    so I guess the first thing to ask is does your capture have audio in one of the above listed formats?
    If not then I guess it explains why you have no audio in PD.

Mark.

3. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    The Canopus converter will create a PCM .wav audio file. Some DV 'capture' (Firewire transfer) programs will allow 'live' audio monitoring during capture, others won't.

WinDV is very popular, but doesn't have audio monitoring. Sounds as if Power Director may be similar.

You'd probably be better off using Scenalyzer , which does have audio monitoring. (Used to be payware - now freeware, so no cost.)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  4. TheShadowman

TheShadowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    In PowerDirector are you seeing a waveform on the timeline?

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
  6. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    The word 'capture' is probably the key word here.... A Canopus converter will 'capture' and convert analogue video (from VHS in this case) internally within the device, and output DV video, with uncompressed PCM audio (.wav).
    The output from the Canopus unit to the computer Firewire card will then allow a transfer of that DV video and audio data onto the computer. This transfer is not a capture as such, in that it merely copies the data without any modification... exactly the same as transferring DV tapes to a computer, via Firewire.
    Any attempt by the editing 'capture' process to modify that signal 'on the fly', as it were, will almost certainly result in a further unnecessary loss of quality.

Important to distinguish between 'transfer' and 'capture' here I think.....

As I mentioned in my previous post, some DV transfer programs - like WinDV - do not allow audio monitoring during transfer - even though the audio is included in the transferred file...Others like Scenalyzer do.

I'm afraid I'm as guilty as anyone of often referring to these programs as DV 'capture' programs.... even though they're not, strictly speaking.

Can tend to cause confusion, I'm afraid! :blush:...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    Well in my experience of video transfer from tape or SD card to a PC it is always listed on the menu of the editing program as:
    • Capture from tape
    • Import from memory card or folder/HDD
    So I think it is fair to use the word 'capture' when talking about a transfer from tape to PC, mainly because it is a real time playback process so you capture it as it plays.

But not strictly relevant to the topic of the thread, but with no response from the OP I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Mark.