No Atmos on Denon avr2300x

123tony

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Denon AVR 2300x and a Panasonic 4K UB420 blue ray , both have Atmos . All I get through the Denon AVR is TRUEHD. And not Atmos ? speakers are set up as 7.1 . Even when changing the AVR Amp assign to 5.1.2 ( set up and change surround L & R as ceiling speakers ( but no ceiling speakers in place ) I still only get truehd sound and not Atmos ...?whats going wrong ? I don’t want to buy ceiling speakers if I still will not get Atmos coming out of the AVR, will the AVR change to Atmos sound as soon as the real ceiling speakers are connected?

Are you playing an Atmos disc?

Hi

Yes , bitstream selected on Blu-ray player , HDMI to AVR ..... I know I can’t get Atmos through a 7.1 setup .... so changed the Denon from 7.1 to 5.1.2 set up , even though no ceiling speakers connected . I think it still should work ? But no Atmos through AVR , just TRUEHD .

Hi Tony, yes that should work, with you 'pretending' that you have atmos speakers connected. When you look at the info screen what are you getting for input and output audio on the AVR?

Hi

I will have a look at this , I know I’m kinda telling the AVR something wrong but should kinda work . I know the sound was crap !!! Changing to 5.1.2 and reset it to 7.1 , I’m totally confused and frustrated why I don’t get Atmos .... one mistake was optical cable ! So now it only goes through HDMI .... how do you upload images on here ? Is it through the “ upload file “

Set your AMP ASSIGN mode to one of the following:
FRONT HEIGHT
TOP FRONT
TOP MIDDLE

THe following 2 options would also be condusive with an Atmos 5.1.2 setup, but you've not the kind of speakers needed to use such options:
FRONT DOLBY
SURROUND DOLBY

The two last options are for use with upward firing Dolby Atmos enabled speakers.

Also note that non of the applicable options actually correspond with where you'd oedinarilly have ypur back surrounds located. You may actually be impairing the soundtrack by imposing the reassignments while leaving your back speakers where they are located? You're not gaining anything by forcing your AV receiver to adopt an Atmos 5.1.2 configuration without actually locating the Atmos speakers accordingly.

What is it that you are trying to play that has an Atmos soundtrack? Also note that TrueHD (or DD+) will still be represented as well as the word "Atmos" on your receiver's display when the receiver detects Atmos as being present. The Atmos metadata is streamed to your receiver packaged with the TRueHD (or DD+) audio.

Last edited:
Also check that if playing what you think is a UHD 4K disc that you've not actually accidently inserted the HD Bluray version into the player by mistake. Many releases do not include an Atmos soundtrack in association with the Bluray disc of the film and most new UHD releases include a HD Bluray disc with the UHD disc. It is something that has been mistakely done by others who then also were puzzled as to why they were not getting Atmos. It is worth checking.

Hi

I will have a look at this , I know I’m kinda telling the AVR something wrong but should kinda work . I know the sound was crap !!! Changing to 5.1.2 and reset it to 7.1 , I’m totally confused and frustrated why I don’t get Atmos .... one mistake was optical cable ! So now it only goes through HDMI .... how do you upload images on here ? Is it through the “ upload file “
Optical cable from where to where?

Use HDMI to connect the disc player to the AVR, then use another HDMI to connect the ouput from the AVR to an input on the TV / display device.

Play back a disc which you know has an atmos soundtrack, and check that you have selected that soundtrack to playback, and that you are bitstreaming audio from your disc player to the AVR. I think you must be doing that or you wouldn't get the TrueHD soundtrack.

If you have set the amp assign on the Denon to a 'pretend' atmos set-up of 5.1.2, you should be able to get the AVR to recognise the atmos soundtrack and display atmos on the screen. You may have to scroll through the sound modes using the movie button, to select atmos.

And yes, when replying to a thread clicking the 'Upload a file' button will let you upload a file :)

You're not gaining anything by forcing your AV receiver to adopt an Atmos 5.1.2 configuration without actually locating the Atmos speakers accordingly.
I think the OP just wants to do a quick check that it works before installing atmos (ceiling) speakers.

That’s correct !!! If it don’t work , I’m not leaving holes in my ceiling ....... the wife would divorce me lol

I got this email from a tech

We’ve had a look at the manual for you for the 2300X and yes they should be assignable, it looks like to put them in Atmos, you need to configure to Top Front. So they need to be assigned to TFR and TFL. This will give you Atmos.

Of course you can buy them and try them out before you put holes in the ceiling, please bear in mind that you won’t get the full effect of the ceiling speakers out of the ceiling, as essentially the ceiling acts as the speaker box.

Let me know how you get on with the forum, but we are convinced that this will work once assigned to TFL and TFR.

Any one of the the following would result in you having a 5.1.2 setup conducive with what is required by Atmos:
FRONT HEIGHT
TOP FRONT
TOP MIDDLE
FRONT DOLBY
SURROUND DOLBY

The TOP FRONT isn't the only option that would give you access to Atmos.

I changed the movie mode to Atmos and this is now displayed

Attachments

• E9848BA8-0AF6-46E2-ABC7-49C685D8634A.jpeg
    E9848BA8-0AF6-46E2-ABC7-49C685D8634A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 813
When changing the movie mode this appears

Attachments

• A80E5ADE-3013-4EED-A692-5C66B0A3B9C1.jpeg
    A80E5ADE-3013-4EED-A692-5C66B0A3B9C1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 592
Yeah, it was remiss of me not to mention that. You need to ensure that you select the incoming audio stream that includes the Atmos metadata from the MOVIE menu as opposed to selecting the other options. You could however still leave it set to DOLBY SURROUND and still get the Atmos soundtrack seeing as Atmos metadata overrides and surpasses DOLBY SURROUND UPMIXING.

So I guess that’s it ? Not need to amp assign and leave it at 7.1 setup

I have to say the TRUEHD/ Neuralx sounds better then the Atmos mode ?

Atmos sounds more distant , lacking in impact and less coming from the centre speaker .... TRUEHD and neuralx is nore impact and more coming from centre speaker and fuller sounding ? Is it worth getting ceiling speakers for Atmos ? I know this is the best for this source ..... can the speakers out put be adjusted , whilst in the movie mode ? So that you can have personal preference to each sound or is that it ? That’s the sound your getting .

So I guess that’s it ? Not need to amp assign and leave it at 7.1 setup

If you are able to access Atmos then your speakers will have been reassigned and your back speakers will not have been assigned as such. You cannot get Atmos via a standard 7.1 speaker cnfiguration and the minimum configuration you'd need if using your receiver is a configuration that gives you a 5.1.2 layout. You'd be advised to check your speaker assignment and set the assignment back to BACK SURROUND if wanting to go back to your original 7.1 setup if you've not already done so?

The Atmos option will not appear in your MOVIE menu if the speakers are configured as a conventional 7.1 setup.

Last edited:
Atmos sounds more distant , lacking in impact and less coming from the centre speaker .... TRUEHD and neuralx is nore impact and more coming from centre speaker and fuller sounding ? Is it worth getting ceiling speakers for Atmos ? I know this is the best for this source ..... can the speakers out put be adjusted , whilst in the movie mode ? So that you can have personal preference to each sound or is that it ? That’s the sound your getting .

I'd recommend Atmos as being better that 7.1, but some soundtracks are better than others. The floor level layout of the speakers and the audio being output by the floor level speakers will be much the same as it was via a more conventional 5.1 or 7.1 setup. The added Atmosphere is only really achievable if using and including the additional Atmos speakers. There is some differences in the way sound pans around the room and this is due to the object based nature of Atmos.

You can modify the speaker levels etc in the same way as you could previously. There really shouldn't be a need to in association with Atmos audio though. Atmos would not require you to setup you levels etc differently.

I have had to change back to 7.1 , I tried the 5.1.2 and it just killed the tone and sound ! Both TRUEHD and Atmos are now coming through the 7.1!..... I still can’t understand why changing to 5.1.2 it don’t work ( sound wise ) it’s just a speaker change . I now know Atmos is read through the AVR and is displayed when going through the movie mode and doesn’t appear unless selected !! I was told the AVR would just read the signal and display “ Atmos “ without selecting anything

The only thing I can think of why this happens ( sound ) is when selecting a new set up , amp assign , you have to re do your personal setting again ? And when finished , the AVR the saves the settings for 7.1 and 5.1.2 .... so maybe I need to do a new personal setting for the 5.1.2 ..... I have changed it to 5.1.2 and Atmos is still read on AVR and all the speakers on 5.1.2 are displayed on the info screen

I have had to change back to 7.1 , I tried the 5.1.2 and it just killed the tone and sound ! Both TRUEHD and Atmos are now coming through the 7.1!..... I still can’t understand why changing to 5.1.2 it don’t work ( sound wise ) it’s just a speaker change . I now know Atmos is read through the AVR and is displayed when going through the movie mode and doesn’t appear unless selected !! I was told the AVR would just read the signal and display “ Atmos “ without selecting anything

You cannot access or get Atmos without reassigning the back speaker amplification to power additional Atmos speakers with. You are mistaken if you think that you can access Atmos and or play it without the reassignment and via a conventional 7.1 configuration. If you are still able to access Atmos via the MVIE menu then you've not reassigned the back speakers as being BACK SURROUNDS.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom