No Atmos decoding Sony 1080 AV

Lordgeezer69

Novice Member
Hi I’m new to this but just bought a Sony 1080 A.V and 5.1.2 front up firing speakers so I can enjoy Atmos BUT...... I’m having an issue, I have connected sky Q box via HDMI to av and changed the sky q sound settings to the required setting for Dolby. My av now shows when it’s decoding Dolby digital plus but when I use my amazon fire stick which is in av I get again Dolby digital plus but no Atmos decoding from content that is Atmos. Just wondering if I’m doing anything wrong here? Any help advice would be great !

gibbsy

I'm not a Sony owner but have you told the receiver that there are front Dolby speakers connected and run the room EQ?

gibbsy

It could be that, although advertised as having Atmos, the Covid pandemic is having an effect in that almost all the streaming services have reduced their bitrate (an excellent way to make more profit) and Atmos has been ditched. If the receiver is showing Dolby Digital Plus then you are receiving right format for Atmos it may just be that it's currently missing.

The only platform that is still outputting Atmos, albeit a sparse selection, is Sky with their SkyQ UHD package. I don't have access to Atmos with my TV's apps for Netflix as the TV doesn't support it. I take it you don't have a blu ray player that you can check.

Lordgeezer69

Novice Member
Thank you for taking the time to reply! I’ve literally just came across this in an article about capping of streaming due to pandemic. I’m guessing that’s probably why. I don’t have a blu ray so I guess I’ll just wait till things go back to normal

thanks again for your reply

dante01

Distinguished Member
It could be that, although advertised as having Atmos, the Covid pandemic is having an effect in that almost all the streaming services have reduced their bitrate (an excellent way to make more profit) and Atmos has been ditched. If the receiver is showing Dolby Digital Plus then you are receiving right format for Atmos it may just be that it's currently missing.

The only platform that is still outputting Atmos, albeit a sparse selection, is Sky with their SkyQ UHD package. I don't have access to Atmos with my TV's apps for Netflix as the TV doesn't support it. I take it you don't have a blu ray player that you can check.

I've seen you posting about this several times now and you seem to be implying that services such as Netflix have ceased streaming Atmos? This isn't the case and Atmos is still available in association with all the content accessed via Netflix that is inclusive of an Atmos soundtrack. It is only Disney+ that have had their Atmos audio effected by capping their bandwith. Other streaming services are only applying the capping to their video and not the audio.

Netflix's Atmos provision isn't effected by the bandwidth capping. Neither is Apple's streaming service. Amazon don't really have much Atmos encoded content anyway so you'd not miss it if they had removed it.

Last edited:

gibbletts

As stated I think only season 1 of jack ryan has atmos on prime and the netflix app on firestick doesnt do atmos, add to that not everything in uhd on sky is atmos.

Lordgeezer69

Novice Member
Thanks... Netflix I’d have to upgrade account for UHD to get the Benefit of Atmos I’m assuming. I have amazon 4K fire stick and not able to find UHD content so I’m guessing also that’s been capped for now unless I just haven’t looked properly.
I did just pay for a rental off sky Q £6:99 🙄 for a UHD film and low and behold dolby atmos works yay 😁 so at least I know it’s not my set up now 😊

gibbsy

I've seen you posting about this several times now and you seem to be implying that services such as Netflix have ceased streaming Atmos? This isn't the case and Atmos is still available in association with all the content accessed via Netflix that is inclusive of an Atmos soundtrack. It is only Disney+ that have had their Atmos audio effected by capping their bandwith. Other streaming services are only applying the capping to their video and not the audio.

Netflix's Atmos provision isn't effected by the bandwidth capping. Neither is Apple's streaming service. Amazon don't really have much Atmos encoded content anyway so you'd not miss it if they had removed it.
Wrists slapped.

hawkthefury

Standard Member
Thanks... Netflix I’d have to upgrade account for UHD to get the Benefit of Atmos I’m assuming. I have amazon 4K fire stick and not able to find UHD content so I’m guessing also that’s been capped for now unless I just haven’t looked properly.
I did just pay for a rental off sky Q £6:99 🙄 for a UHD film and low and behold dolby atmos works yay 😁 so at least I know it’s not my set up now 😊
You can get Atmos via Xbox one S for disney +/Amazon/Netflix. Using the fire stick 4k I can only get it on Amazon.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You wont get Atmos via Disney+ in Europe using any device right now because Disney are reducing their bandwidth usage and have removed Atmos audio from their service until after the covid=19 cisis/lockdown has eased. None of the titles stating that Atmos is available will include Atmos via Disney+ regardless of the device you are using to access it with:

Other streaming services should still be providing it as advertised though. Note that you'll still see Atmos as being an option while browser through Disney+, but you wont get it when you play the content it was suggested that you'd get Atmos in association with.

The Fire TV Stick 4K does not support Atmos on the Netflix app:

Last edited:

gibbsy

Netflix HDR is worth paying the extra for. I have Netflix on my SkyQ account which is standard 4K and flicking between the TV's HDR app and Sky the difference on some programmes can be pronounced. Sky have only just started HDR on their UHD channels, three nature series, more channels to follow by the end of the year.

hawkthefury

Standard Member
You wont get Atmos via Disney+ in Europe using any device right now because Disney are reducing their bandwidth usage and have removed Atmos audio from their service until after the covid=19 cisis/lockdown has eased. None of the titles stating that Atmos is available will include Atmos via Disney+ regardless of the device you are using to access it with:

Other streaming services should still be providing it as advertised though. Note that you'll still see Atmos as being an option while browser through Disney+, but you wont get it when you play the content it was suggested that you'd get Atmos in association with.

The Fire TV Stick 4K does not support Atmos on the Netflix app:
I double checked and atmos is coming up on Disney plus via xbox one s.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Content on Disney+ will be absent of Atmos while Disney are still capping their bandwidth. THe content may say Atmos when you read their descriptions, but you'll only get DD+ (multichannel PCM using Dolby MAT in association with an XBox or Apple TV) when you play it. If not then your XBox is incorrectly configured.

Disney themselves recognise that you'll not get Atmos while they are capping their bandwidth and Disney are still capping their bandwidth. It makes no difference which device you are using to access Disney+, Disney are capping their bandwidth in Europe and while doing so you'll not get Atmos via their streaming service.

Try playing the Mandalorian. Do you get Atmos?

Last edited:

Lordgeezer69

Novice Member
Well this thread has really help me so thanks for all your feedback 😊
I get a feeling there’s a bit of errm an Atmos sphere (pardon the pun) between some members ... not sure why but 💁‍♂️

hawkthefury

Standard Member
Content on Disney+ will be absent of Atmos while Disney are still capping their bandwidth. THe content may say Atmos when you read their descriptions, but you'll only get DD+ (multichannel PCM using Dolby MAT in association with an XBox or Apple TV) when you play it. If not then your XBox is incorrectly configured.

Disney themselves recognise that you'll not get Atmos while they are capping their bandwidth and Disney are still capping their bandwidth. It makes no difference which device you are using to access Disney+, Disney are capping their bandwidth in Europe and while doing so you'll not get Atmos via their streaming service.

Try playing the Mandalorian. Do you get Atmos?
It did. States Atmos on Mandalorian page, then atmos when I played it. However if i go to Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton) then only 5.1 is on offer.

dante01

Distinguished Member
It makes no odds as to what is stated via the app, you will not be getting Atmos via Disney+. The descriptions and the stated audio is no reflection of what you'll actually get while Disney are capping their bandwidth. There's already a thread/topic discussing this to which I've already posted a link earlier within this thread.

Disney themselves recognise that their customers will not be getting Atmos while their capping of the bandwidth is in operation.

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland wouldn't ordinarilly be available in Atmos anyway and is only available in HD with a 5.1 soundtrack regardless of the bandwidth capping. Not everything on Disney+ is UHD with Atmos.

Last edited: