Question No Aerial Socket, only 2 satellite cables, TV Not working

Fiction Films

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there

So Ive just moved into a new home, the front room has no aerial socket, but it does have 2 coaxial leads coming out of the wall. My new Samsung TV has built in Freesat and I have a Coaxial cable to connect one of the cables to the tv, not both, but currently I haven't been able to get a signal at all.

Is it a case of needing a decoder box of some kind, getting a second coaxial cable or is there actually a way I can use those two cables coming out the wall, with whatever other cables I need in order to get a picture.

Many thanks for your time helping us with this

All the best

Ben

First question do you actually have a dish on your home ? If so and it's working, and they connected to the dish lnb, you can use either cable. The TV should have a screw type (f connector) input, you can't use the normal aerial socket. There is two to cater for twin tuner recording satellite boxes like a freesat pvr.

What sort of connection is on the end of the two cables ?

Do they look like this ?

F connector - Wikipedia

Hi Graham and thanks for the response

I definitely have a dish yes, in fact if I search using the Auto tuning satellite option I can even pick up some very rough looking SD channels, mainly arabic, but the point is its there, plus I called the previous owners and they said they sued the two cables for their sky.

now I've auto tuned with the Freesat option and it finds all the channels, using one Coaxial cable, however there is 0% signal quality, so not a signal channel is viewable, so its quite a quandary, any thoughts?

Can you name any of the channels you did receive? If they are mainly Arabic it sounds as though the dish is aligned on the wrong satellite (probably Hotbird 13E) and needs realigning to Astra 2 28E if you want Freesat

Check the F-plug is made off properly and not bent/touching/near touching the outer... with $ky's thin 'shotgun' WF65 type this is easy to do. The centre 'pin' wire needs to fit in the TV's socket and brand new ones are often very tight making the wire bend over as you push it in.

It would be strange for a $ky dish to be mis-aligned to any other satellite.

Oops... <thinks out loud> ... $ky Q lnbs are incompatible with most other receivers aren't they? One cable being Vp signals and the other Hp... THAT would certainly be a problem for the OP if that's the case. Check the dish and LNB to see how many output sockets it appears to have. Sky Q have only two, while standard Sky have four usually. {Another call to owners may confirm my Sky Q theory - or not!}

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Let us have an answer to dm2's question, and tell us whether the previous owners had Sky HD or Sky Q.

Oops... <thinks out loud> ... $ky Q lnbs are incompatible with most other receivers aren't they? One cable being Vp signals and the other Hp... THAT would certainly be a problem for the OP if that's the case. Check the dish and LNB to see how many output sockets it appears to have. Sky Q have only two, while standard Sky have four usually. {Another call to owners may confirm my Sky Q theory - or not!}
If it is a wideband Sky Q lnb then it is highly unlikely he would have received the Arabic SD channels with his first scan
It would be strange for a $ky dish to be mis-aligned to any other satellite
There are many ways the fish could be misaligned - builders, window cleaners, previous owner changing lnb back from Sky Q (to take with them), etc etc.

You will need to change - or get someone in to change - the lnb on the end of the dish arm. Depending on how easily it is accessed will determine if it is a possible d-i-y job. They are readily available from Amazon, eBay and even CPC-Farnell.

A professional installer would check dish condition and alignment while doing it.

There are guides on how to do it on the web if you plan to do so yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom