Question No aerial socket, but an aerial cable coming from wall

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by benmango, Apr 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. benmango

benmango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hi all,

Apologies in advance - a lot of info here (too much better than too little right!).

Been in our house 3 years and the TV connection has a strange set-up. Instead of an aerial socket, it simply has an aerial cable coming out of the wall. This cable leads through the wall up the side of the house to the aerial on the roof.

Previous owner (an old lady who had lived there forever) had this wall cable, connected to another cable, which then took it into some kind of ancient booster box (both wires going into the booster box looked like this cable on the left in this picture, which then went into the TV.

This week we've had work repointing underneath the floorboard and as a result of moving the TV, when we moved it back and reconnected the wires we had lost the TV signal. I'd noticed in the past that it can come and go if you touch the aerial leads, but this time we couldn't get it back. Tried for 2-3 hours last night no joy!

I wish I'd taken a photo of the cable coming from the wall but I'm pretty certain it's a female coax - like this inside of the house (the furthest right cable, albeit mine looks a lot older!).

I went out last night and bought a standard new male / male aerial cable, connected it from the female coax wall cable straight to the TV and after a scan it found no channels at all which I think eliminates the booster box connectors as being the issue... and makes me think it must be the cable itself coming from the wall... (as I say it looks very old and might be a little battered).

I'm a bit lost what to try now, I do own a separate aerial booster of my old - this one , which I haven't tried yet, mainly because I need another male to male aerial cable to try this I think. So have to pick this up.

Is it worth giving this a go, or do you all think it's a problem with the wall cable itself?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,002
    I would recommend that you change all the coax if it's that old.
    The problem is obviously caused by a dodgy connection somewhere. It may have been flexing a lot where it comes out of the wall and thus broken the inner connector.

Unless you live in a very weak signal area, you probably don't need the booster unless you are feeding multiple sets from it.
    As you say it's about freeview, then yes, you have posted in the wrong section. Don't repost in the right section though. Hopefully a mod will move it in a bit.

3. benmango

benmango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Yep, just asked a mod and he's kindly moved it to this correct forum!

So by "change the coax" do you mean the entirety of the cable from aerial to where it breaches the wall? Or just the bit from the wall? It has flexed a bit I think (the cable is around 2 feet long) and it looks dishevelled.

So if I were to cut it back and install a standard aerial socket on the wall that would be cutting back before the flexing and hopefully solve the issue...?

4. kinggo

kinggo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Usually it is best to replace the cable altogether. You can try all other options to, but bear in mind that every connection you make between the antenna and your TV will take a few dB of the signal strength. If you live in the area with good strong DVB signal than this will not be a problem. But if you don't then it might.

5. benmango

benmango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Okey doke, cheers for the advice. The work ends today so we're going to move everything back to where it was and see if we can get it working as it was. If not then we'll take it from there... Cheers.