• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

No 5.1 sound through my sky hd

microbar

Standard Member
Hello I have been looking for a budget all in one system
And purchased a Tevion DVD6091 from ebuyer I Believe aldi are also selling the same system.

I can Hear all you surround sound purists saying oh dear what a load of rubbish, But being disabled this is all I could afford.
My needs are as follows to play the 5.1 sound through my sky hd system and play dvd through the tevion system.
I have achieved the latter but cannot work out how to get the surround to play from my sky HD system.

here is a description of the tevion all in one system

DVD6091 is a full featured 5.1-channel DVD home theater system featuring Dolby Digital decoding for crisp sound and progressive scan for sharp video.
It's compatible with CDs, MP3 CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, DVD-Rs, and Kodak Picture CDs as well as regular DVDs. Outputs include HDMI, composite video, S-video, RCA and coaxial connections. 450 watts total are output over five satellite speakers plus a subwoofer.
Features
  • Built in Dolby Digital (AC-3) decoder/5.1-channel output
  • DVD/CD/MP3/CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R, Kodak picture CD compatible
  • Five satellite speakers plus subwoofer
  • USB 2.0
  • CD Ripping
  • LED Display
  • Scart Output (including scart cable)
  • Hdmi Output (including hdmi cable)
  • Progressive scan feature, 450 watts total output
  • HDMI, Composite, S-video, RCA jacks and coaxial outputs, audio inputs, zoom multi angle
  • 230V ~ 50Hz 60W
I have wired up the 5 speakers to the SW I have also connected the red and white plugs from the SW to the tevion system correctly IE left out jack right output jack centre etc. I also bought an optical lead and plugged in the TOSLINK plug to the tevion and the other end of the TOSLINK to my sky Digital box.
But I cannot get any sound from my sky system other than my tv sound.

I have the following a samsung 32 ins tv LE32R88BD
sky hd box
and THE TEVION SYSTEM
I would be gratefull if someone could help me thankyou.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Go to Settings->Sound and make sure 'Digital Audio Output' is set to 'Dolby D'.

microbar

Standard Member
Go to Settings->Sound and make sure 'Digital Audio Output' is set to 'Dolby D'.

Thanks Trollslayer but done that m8.
Only thing I can think that is stopping the 5.1 is that on my samsung tv audio settings the sound select is grayed out so I cant change this setting. And wondered if this is the problem.

Last edited:

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
microbar said:
Thanks Trollslayer but done that m8.
Only thing I can think that is stopping the 5.1 is that on my samsung tv audio settings the sound select is grayed out so I cant change this setting. And wondered if this is the problem.

Have you selected digital audio mode / input on player?

Broadz

Distinguished Member
I also bought an optical lead and plugged in the TOSLINK plug to the tevion and the other end of the TOSLINK to my sky Digital box.

You need to work out whether you have a faulty optical out on the Sky box, a faulty optical in on the all-in-one, a faulty optical cable or whether you have not selected the correct source on the all-in-one.

To test whether the cable and Sky box output are okay, have a look at the end of the optical cable which you connect to the all-in-one. If it is glowing red then it means it is receiving a digital signal at the other end - which means that the Sky box is outputting something via its optical audio socket, and the cable is passing that signal from one end to the other. If it isn't glowing red, either try a different cable, or get your Sky box repaired/replaced.

Assuming the cable is glowing red, you know that the fault is with either the all-in-one or that you haven't selected the correct source. As you haven't mentioned audio source in your original post, it is fairly safe to assume that this is what you haven't yet done. Instead of choosing between Off, All or PCM (which dictates which kind of audio signal it can decode) you need to actually choose this as source. Presumably it is still expecting the source to be the DVD player itself - this is what you need to change. There will probably be a source selection button on the remote - or on the machine itself - and presumably successive presses of this will select the optical input as opposed to the DVD player.

narcolepticshee

Standard Member
As far as I'm aware, Sky broadcast programs in a matrix encoded format. This allows you to decode 5.1 channels from a stereo source. This allows Sky to distribute one set of audio that can be used by both people with Stereo systems and Surround systems.

However, for this to work as surround sound in your home, you need the Dolby Pro Logic decoder (or similar) which I believe your unit doesn't have. The specs you've provided show that the unit supports AC-3 which is a discrete system and contains all 6 channels of a 5.1 system (albeit in a lossy format).

Basically, I don't believe your unit can play back Sky TV in 5.1, because it doesn't have Dolby Pro Logic. Whereas, it can play DVDs in 5.1 because it supports AC-3 which is the Dolby standard for 5.1 on DVD (6 discrete channels).

Hope this helps.

themediaman

Established Member
Dolby Pro Logic gives you a kid on 5.1 from 2 channels does it not? So Pro Logic is a sound effect, not a codec..........

So not having this function should not effects its ability to deal with a 6 channel track.....should it?

narcolepticshee

Standard Member
Dolby Pro Logic gives you a kid on 5.1 from 2 channels does it not? So Pro Logic is a sound effect, not a codec..........

So not having this function should not effects its ability to deal with a 6 channel track.....should it?

Completely true, if we were dealing with a 6 channel track which I don't believe we are. I believe Sky distribute a stereo format with an LtRt mix which can have 6 channels of audio extracted from those two.

The thing is, that dubbing mixers/re-recording mixers alter their mixes for broadcast to work with Dolby Pro Logic (and similar decoders/effects - whatever you'd like to call it) because they're distributed as Stereo Final Mixes and they need to both accomodate for consumers with Stereo and 5.1 systems so Dolby Pro Logic decoding is the 'meet in the middle' point. This mix is called an 'LtRt' (Left Total and Right Total) rather than a standard LR mix. The LtRt is encoded differently to a Standard Stereo deliverable. Anything they want to appear in the surrounds, they push the phase of the left surround and right surround channels to +90 degrees and -90 degrees respectively, this means that when you play it back on a standard stereo systems, they dissapear (because they are 180 degrees out of phase which causes 100% cancellation). Whilst if you play back using a Dolby Pro Logic system, it extracts these surrounds by inversing the phase of the signal (making everything that was in phase dissapear, which would be dialogue in this case, and everything that was out of phase, the surrounds in this case, appear in the surround speakers). It also sums the Lt and Rt to give you the Centre Channel and the Lt and Rt signal goes to L and R respectively without any processing.

If your unit doesn't have Dolby Pro Logic (or similar) then it doesn't have the ability to extract a 5.1 from a stereo. Although, if it has Dolby Digital, it has the ability to play 5.1 from a 5.1 source (DVDs in this case).

Cheers

turanafon

Standard Member
ok

HDMI cable from Sky box to TV
HDMI cable from Cinema system to TV
Optical cable from Skybox to Cinema system.

make sure 'Digital Audio Output' is set to 'Dolby D
and do the same in the cinema system go to input devices .

Reboot system

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
As far as I'm aware, Sky broadcast programs in a matrix encoded format. This allows you to decode 5.1 channels from a stereo source. This allows Sky to distribute one set of audio that can be used by both people with Stereo systems and Surround systems.

However, for this to work as surround sound in your home, you need the Dolby Pro Logic decoder (or similar) which I believe your unit doesn't have. The specs you've provided show that the unit supports AC-3 which is a discrete system and contains all 6 channels of a 5.1 system (albeit in a lossy format).

Basically, I don't believe your unit can play back Sky TV in 5.1, because it doesn't have Dolby Pro Logic. Whereas, it can play DVDs in 5.1 because it supports AC-3 which is the Dolby standard for 5.1 on DVD (6 discrete channels).

Hope this helps.

I have Sky HD to my Onkyo 606 and DPL is not present, just DD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom