No 5.1 Sound Over DD Plus

esadek

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a 5.1 system setup with a Sony str dh790 receiver and hisense h8g tv. When I use the tidal app on my tv, it outputs 5.1 surround sound when using pcm. However, if I change the tv output to Dolby Digital Plus, it only outputs sound to the front speakers and sub. I’ve tried all the different sound field settings on the receiver and none of them output sound to the rear speakers when using tidal over DD+. When using other apps, I am able to get surround sound when output is DD+. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Edit: when I select Dolby digital plus for output on tv, the rear speakers do not output sound regardless of the content.

Dolby Dital PLus is an audio format and not a mode you select. What TV is it you are using?

Set the TV to a digital audio output setting that results in it BITSTREAMING the exact audio format it is t=receiving.

Also note that just becauseaudio is formattred with Dolby Digital isn't to say that it is 5.1 in nature. You can get 2.0 Dolby Digital or DD+.

I'd also suggest you use another source connected to your AV receiver in order to test your setup with.

I have a 5.1 system setup with a Sony str dh790 receiver and hisense h8g tv. When I use the tidal app on my tv, it outputs 5.1 surround sound when using pcm. However, if I change the tv output to Dolby Digital Plus, it only outputs sound to the front speakers and sub. I’ve tried all the different sound field settings on the receiver and none of them output sound to the rear speakers when using tidal over DD+. When using other apps, I am able to get surround sound when output is DD+. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Why do you want to listen to music in 5.1? Your amp is outputting it in 2.1, which is how it was intended to be listened to.

Incidentally, DD+ is a lossy codec, so you are unlikely to be getting the full benefit of the high quality Tidal source.

I believe Tidal do have a dedicate 360 and Atmos streaming service for music?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom