Novice Member
Reaction score
My setup consists of:

TV: LG 60UM7100PLB
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR606
Laptop Win10 Asus Zenbook 14

HDMI from laptop to AVR HDMI from AVR to TV
Toslink TV to AVR

I am struggling to get 5.1 working while the AVR is connected to the TV. When it's just the laptop and AVR it automatically selects 5.1 mode in windows. As soon as the stupid LG TV is connected to AVR the sound switches to stereo and the 5.1 is greyed out. Sometimes both the picture and the sound completely disappear. Oddly enough, it all works fine with PS4 instead of the laptop. Have updated the PC drivers etc. Not sure where the issue lies TV, AVR or PC

Any help would be much appreciated.

Could be a setting on the AVR, maybe its passing TV EDID somehow.

You could try disabling HDMI-CEC on the TV and see if that stops it, also check the audio settings, does the sound mode change when TV is connected, some modes might not support PCM 5.1 so cycling though those are worth a check.

Another option if none of the above pan out is
1) Disconnect the TV.
2) Download CRU and run it, this will scan the AVR for the features it supports,
3) Take screen grabs of everything, particularly sound settings under extension blocks (click edit to see them)
4) Close CRU, connect the TV and now verify that the sound mode is limited to PCM 2.0.
5) Start CRU again and apply all of the settings you took pictures of.
6) Exit CRU and run restart64 this will apply the changes so windows will see the PCM 5.1 support.

That might work in tricking windows into only seeing the AVR.

Could be a setting on the AVR, maybe its passing TV EDID somehow.

You could try disabling HDMI-CEC on the TV and see if that stops it, also check the audio settings, does the sound mode change when TV is connected, some modes might not support PCM 5.1 so cycling though those are worth a check.

Another option if none of the above pan out is
1) Disconnect the TV.
2) Download CRU and run it, this will scan the AVR for the features it supports,
3) Take screen grabs of everything, particularly sound settings under extension blocks (click edit to see them)
4) Close CRU, connect the TV and now verify that the sound mode is limited to PCM 2.0.
5) Start CRU again and apply all of the settings you took pictures of.
6) Exit CRU and run restart64 this will apply the changes so windows will see the PCM 5.1 support.

That might work in tricking windows into only seeing the AVR.
Thanks a lot for the detailed steps suggested. I think I have already pretty much exhausted every possible variation of different settings on the TV and AVR, including disabling CEC). Eventually settled connecting everything (except for the laptop) directly to the TV with sound passing through via Toslink from TV to AVR. This way I get DD, DTS ets with no issues. As soon as the AVR HDMI output is conneced to the TV, it activates the stereo only mode on AVR. So the TV is triggering it. Tried both PCM and Bitstream options as the TV HDMI input setting. Makes me want my 12 year old Sony TV back.

Still can't get my laptop to show picture on the TV and keep 5.1 through the AVR.
Will give the CRU a try but doubt it will help as the laptop does recognizecthe AVR as a multichannel capable device as long as the TV is out of the equation.

Thanks a lot for the detailed steps suggested. I think I have already pretty much exhausted every possible variation of different settings on the TV and AVR, including disabling CEC). Eventually settled connecting everything (except for the laptop) directly to the TV with sound passing through via Toslink from TV to AVR. This way I get DD, DTS ets with no issues. As soon as the AVR HDMI output is conneced to the TV, it activates the stereo only mode on AVR. So the TV is triggering it. Tried both PCM and Bitstream options as the TV HDMI input setting. Makes me want my 12 year old Sony TV back.

Still can't get my laptop to show picture on the TV and keep 5.1 through the AVR.
Will give the CRU a try but doubt it will help as the laptop does recognizecthe AVR as a multichannel capable device as long as the TV is out of the equation.

CRU will override the EDID windows creates from scanning the AVR so you can restore the missing functions.

CRU will override the EDID windows creates from scanning the AVR so you can restore the missing functions.
Partial progress, managed to get Windows to allow 5.1 and 7.1 in the settings with TV connected. A section called "Speaker setup" was completely missing so I just created it and ticked the right boxes. Now just need to get the sound and picture working again with the TV hooked up. I did have this issue before which got resolved by reinstalling the graphics driver. Might try that again. Thanks again for this tip mate - what an amazing little utility this is!

After messing it all up a couple of times managed to get it working, as desired. If anyone tries this at home, do make sure that you get screenshot of EVERY setting, both for audio and video. I missed a few, but luckily it still appears to work. Next010 thanks again, really appreciate your help :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom