• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question No 4K Passthrough Sony MDR-HW700DS

oldfart

Not sure if this is the right section to post but here goes.

Connected my Panasonic 4k player and Apple 4K to a Sony MDR-HW700DS surround sound processor and headphones but cannot get a 4K signal to my Panasonic 4K tv. Both the Panasonic and Apple default to 1080p. When i selected 4K output in the player settings the screen went a funny colour so had to revert back to 1080p. I have tried changing the relevant settings in the processor but so far no success:facepalm:. Just wondering if anyone has any insight or ideas to overcome this problem.

For your info both were connected to a cheap 4K splitter previously with no problem.

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
4K Passthrough - a fair few devices which arrived at the start of the 4K UHD 'revolution' were limited to 2160p at 30fps with HDCP 1.4 which is not ideal if your 4K Source is outputting 2160p at 60/50Hz of 24p and requires HDCP 2.2.

If your 'passthrough' device is able to support HDCP 2.2 and you have odd colours look at the TV settings - you may be able to toggle between RGB and YUV on the HDMI Input.

Joe

oldfart

Thank you for that explanation. It looks as though it does not support 4K! at the frame rate of 50/60 Hz ( see attached screenshot from the manual ) although it does mention elsewhere in the manual 4K is supported?. More confused than ever. Probably go back to the splitter and feed the sound via an optical cable to the processor unless of course can change the settings in the player and Apple TV to the supported frame rate.

Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 13.01.33.png

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Better to ‘bypass’ the unit for Video - you don’t want to be changing the native format of the Source content to accommodate the headphone box.

Optical will deliver DD/DTS up to 5.1 - if you thought there was going to be a benefit going to uncompressed HD audio formats (and the Headphone box supports those formats) you could consider the HDFury ‘AVR key’.

The AVR key allows you to pass 4K Video to the Display (in its native format) plus HD audio to your Headphone box - both via HDMI.

HDfury AVR Key – The Media Factory

Joe

skyline32

I have one of these - it's my current solution for allowing me to listen via surround speakers and my wife, who is hard of hearing, to listen to something loud enough that she can hear without deafening me. I've used it both with an AVR and speakers and with a sound bar (which I need in my current rental property since the living room is too small for discrete speakers).

I thought the manual stated the HDMI level but I can't find it. However it supports ARC so that's 1.4 at least. So 4K should work but not at anything above 30Hz, and no HDR.

I used to have the processor in the HDMI chain when I was all 1080P but when I upgraded my gear to 4K I used the optical out of the TV, looped through the HW700DS control box to the sound bar.

When I move out of my current rental and go back to an AVR and speakers, I will need to find another solution since I'll want HD audio and maybe Atmos. I really don't know what that solution will be - AV kit manufacturers seem to have left people like me out in the cold even though there must be a lot in my situation. Maybe a TV with Bluetooth paired to Bluetooth headphones - I haven't investigated this.

oldfart

When this product was launched 4K probably was not mainstream so was not designed into the processor at the rate desired. I can watch 4K Netflix and Amazon via optical on the tv apps. The only small problem is Apple TV 4K but as most of my purchased content is in HD not a big problem and I do not have a lot of 4K discs so can live with that. I suppose the moral of this post is read the technical specs before you buy. Shame really as this could be a first class product if it had true 4K Passthrough.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Any device which pre dates the UHD Alliance setting the standards for 'UHD Premium' in 2016 is likely to only support 2160p @ 30fps with HDCP 1.4.

Some devices included HDMI hardware which could be updated via Firmware to support a wider range of signals - though not all devices have that capability.

Joe

ericboyle45

Standard Member
Regarding all the previous posts, there is a work around which I use. Not cheap but it works 100%. On Ebay for about £75 buy the Tesmart 2 in 8 out 4k HDMI switch box. I have my Sky Q box and 4k blu ray player connected to inputs 1 and 2. I then use outputs 1 and 2 to connect to the tvs inputs 1 and 2. I then use outputs 7 and 8 to connect to inputs 1 and 2 on the Sony control box. This works perfectly, I can now watch in 4k while listening with the headphones, it even switches the headphones automatically to whichever input you're watching.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom