No 3D from Neet splitter

paul cliff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Need some help.

I have a Denon AVRx500 which is connected to a Neet 1x2 HDMI Splitter, purchased about a year ago.

The splitter runs into a Tosh 3D TV and a BenQ w1070+, the HDMI cable to the projector is 20m.

Problem is I can't get 3D to work through the splitter.

If I remove the splitter and plug the PJ or TV into my AVR then I get 3D no problem, even over the 20m cable.

When I introduce the Neet box I get a message on screen from my 3D Blu Ray player that no 3D source is detected.

I'm at a loss as to what is going on. I've tried changing the cable going from the Neet to the AVR just in case but I get the same result.

Did I buy the wrong thing?

Please help.

Make sure it's powered. My neet would not pass 3d without mains power

Is the splitter definitely 3D capable? I bought a HDMI extender from them in late 2013 and I've only recently discovered it was able to send 3D

According to the advert on Amazon it is...they don't actually sell it any more as there seems to be a new 4K version

Make sure it's powered. My neet would not pass 3d without mains power

Yeah it's powered.

I guess the box might be faulty/doesn't support it as advertised, I'm happy to buy another one to be honest as its been over a year since I bought this one, though not overly keen on going Neet again.

Any recommendations?

Or further ideas about this problem?

edit: I've just been chatting to Amazon and they've agreed to refund me for the item, result!

Last edited:
Where you have one Sink (Display) which won't support 3D you require a Distribution Amp with on-board EDID management to allow the Source to 'see' a 3D Sink device.

Joe

Where you have one Sink (Display) which won't support 3D you require a Distribution Amp with on-board EDID management to allow the Source to 'see' a 3D Sink device.

Joe

Both the TV and the PJ support 3D

3D - OK, you listed the TV as 3D but not the PJ (the way I read it :)).

Check if the Distribution Amp can be upgraded via Firmware - if not it's time to find something which can!

Joe

3D - OK, you listed the TV as 3D but not the PJ (the way I read it :)).

Check if the Distribution Amp can be upgraded via Firmware - if not it's time to find something which can!

Joe
Thanks Joe.

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by distribution amp, do you mean my AV receiver?

My current setup is bluray > AV receiver > HDMI splitter > TV + PJ

I'm returning the splitter now and after something that will definitely work

Heya, I think our 1x2 splitter could work well for you and supports 3D.... you just use the little selector wheel on the front (see the link below) that says EDID to let it pass the 3D format you want e.g. you'd turn the wheel to number 9 for 3D 1920 x 1080p with 5.1 Multi-channel audio.
http://trade.hdconnectivity.com/bol...ng/splitting-switching/1x2-hdmi-splitter.html
HDanywhere 1x2 HDMI Splitter (4K ULTRA HD and 3D-capable)- order now from HD Connectivity

Any questions let me know, Dee.

Thanks, what's the cost of that?

I'm not sure what EDID is, would I need to change the selector on it every time I wanted to watch 3D?

How is this any better than say a £40 HDMI splitter?

Thanks, what's the cost of that?

I'm not sure what EDID is, would I need to change the selector on it every time I wanted to watch 3D?

How is this any better than say a £40 HDMI splitter?

The price of this one is just £37.50 Is your projector 3D or just the TV?
EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) is data provided by HDTVs to describe its capabilities to a connected source- information such as screen resolution, refresh rates and audio is exchanged between the display and connected source device. So whenever you were plugging the AVR directly into the PJ or TV they exchange EDID info and "handshake", which means everything is ok and then the picture gets shown. When you were using your old splitter you were experiencing handshake issues, because either the splitter didn't support 3D or there wasn't an EDID profile that you could select to make it play nicely with 3D devices.

Re. changing the selector- that's a yes I'm afraid BUT this is common. Basically, if you think about the fact that as this guide says http://help.sky.com/articles/watch-sky-in-3d you've got to set your Sky Box to 3D and manually switch your TV into 3D mode, the splitter works much the same way. A set top box like Sky can only "output" one resolution or video format at a time and signal management products such as HDMI switches and splitters are sort of the same. In this scenario, you essentially have to switch the EDID of everything to say "3D"---- Sky box---splitter--- TV.

Does this help?

The price of this one is just £37.50 Is your projector 3D or just the TV?
EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) is data provided by HDTVs to describe its capabilities to a connected source- information such as screen resolution, refresh rates and audio is exchanged between the display and connected source device. So whenever you were plugging the AVR directly into the PJ or TV they exchange EDID info and "handshake", which means everything is ok and then the picture gets shown. When you were using your old splitter you were experiencing handshake issues, because either the splitter didn't support 3D or there wasn't an EDID profile that you could select to make it play nicely with 3D devices.

Re. changing the selector- that's a yes I'm afraid BUT this is common. Basically, if you think about the fact that as this guide says http://help.sky.com/articles/watch-sky-in-3d you've got to set your Sky Box to 3D and manually switch your TV into 3D mode, the splitter works much the same way. A set top box like Sky can only "output" one resolution or video format at a time and signal management products such as HDMI switches and splitters are sort of the same. In this scenario, you essentially have to switch the EDID of everything to say "3D"---- Sky box---splitter--- TV.

Does this help?

It Does, thanks.

My TV and PJ are both 3D compatible, and can both receive a 3D signal...would the EDID function be required in this instance?

I'm really after something less manual, or at least something I can program into my harmony remote

It Does, thanks.

My TV and PJ are both 3D compatible, and can both receive a 3D signal...would the EDID function be required in this instance?

I'm really after something less manual, or at least something I can program into my harmony remote

Splitters are quite a basic device, they are basically set to split a single HDMI signal into two... so they aren't directly controllable by things like IP, RS232, IR etc. What should work... is if you just set the EDID profile on the selector wheel to number 1, then in theory you shouldn't have to change it or fiddle with it manually any further. Profile 1 it is set to copy the EDID and video format of the TV connected to HDMI output port 1. So, to highlight: when you want to watch 3D TV please ensure both the PJ and TV are set up to watch 3D and the Skybox is also set to output 3D (as in the link to the sky guide above).... Then the splitter will read the TV as being 3D and should pass 3D through to both screens. A limitation of HDMI as a technology is that it can only output 1 format. So, this means that you will not be able to watch the Sky box in 3D on the PJ and in 2D on the TV... it'll have to be 3D on both.

We have a 30 day compatibility guarantee with all our products... this means you can order it, try it and if it doesn't work out return it for a full refund but give us a call to let us know if it doesn't work and that you intend to send it back at the earliest possible opportunity.

'Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by distribution amp, do you mean my AV receiver?' - no :)

Distribution Amp is the correct way to describe what many folk call a 'splitter'.

As above EDID is potentially the mechanism at play here which is stopping the BD Player seeing a '3D' enabled device on its Output so will refuse to go into 3D mode.

Whilst a Distribution Amp in the analogue (pre HDMI) world was a fairly simple device in the HDMI world the requirement to manage EDID (capabilities) plus HDCP (encryption) mean you ought to allow for managing these requirements within the Distribution Amp.

We find fully programmable EDID (using a mix of user selectable pre sets plus the ability to customise using a PC) and on-board HDCP management is the best option.

Once configured you ought not to have to change any settings on the Distribution Amp.

The ability to deal with EDID and HDCP comes at a cost!

Joe

Splitters are quite a basic device, they are basically set to split a single HDMI signal into two... so they aren't directly controllable by things like IP, RS232, IR etc. What should work... is if you just set the EDID profile on the selector wheel to number 1, then in theory you shouldn't have to change it or fiddle with it manually any further. Profile 1 it is set to copy the EDID and video format of the TV connected to HDMI output port 1. So, to highlight: when you want to watch 3D TV please ensure both the PJ and TV are set up to watch 3D and the Skybox is also set to output 3D (as in the link to the sky guide above).... Then the splitter will read the TV as being 3D and should pass 3D through to both screens. A limitation of HDMI as a technology is that it can only output 1 format. So, this means that you will not be able to watch the Sky box in 3D on the PJ and in 2D on the TV... it'll have to be 3D on both.

We have a 30 day compatibility guarantee with all our products... this means you can order it, try it and if it doesn't work out return it for a full refund but give us a call to let us know if it doesn't work and that you intend to send it back at the earliest possible opportunity.

This is a lot more complicated than I realised.

Let me explain something - When the TV is on, the projector is off, the TV will be used ONLY for 2D but is 3D compatible.

When the Projector is on, the TV will be off, Projector will be used for 2D and 3D.

My Projector screen comes down in front of my TV, hence only one being on at any given time.

Does this change things?

by 'off' I mean on standby.

Your Source device is always in communication with the Sink (TV and Projector) - even when one or other is in Standby, the concept being that the Source will never attempt to Output a signal one or other of your Sink (AVR, Display, Projector) is not compatible with.

In theory the Source is intelligent enough to auto reconfigure to suit the 'active' Sink/Sink's (it should ignore any Sink which is in Standby) - in practise that rarely ever works, due to the Firmware in the Source!

By introducing a Distribution Amp with EDID (and HDCP) Management - you stop the Source 'seeing' the Sink devices and instead the Source now sees the EDID information stored/output by the Distribution Amp, this allows you to 'force' the Source into Outputting whichever signal you choose.

Joe

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Again you would use a Distribution Amp with EDID Management - that way you can send the required 3D (or 2D) when using the Projector and revert to 2D when using the TV.

When Outputting 3D from the Source the TV will show a distorted image or no image.

Joe

This is a lot more complicated than I realised.

Let me explain something - When the TV is on, the projector is off, the TV will be used ONLY for 2D but is 3D compatible.

When the Projector is on, the TV will be off, Projector will be used for 2D and 3D.

My Projector screen comes down in front of my TV, hence only one being on at any given time.

Does this change things?

by 'off' I mean on standby.

Hey @paul cliff - just had a chat with one of our techs. We think that if you set the EDID profile via the selector wheel to number 1...you should be fine. Worst case scenario you might have to change the EDID wheel manually. As mentioned, we are happy to have you try this out with your home set up and return it within 30 days under our compatibility guarantee. You can always call us for a chat on 01684 576 348 if you have any further questions!

It could well be that your current splitter is not compatible, a quick check for this would be just to plug the TV in only so you have one display in the mix. If it still doesn't work its possible 3D isn't supported.

I ended up getting some splitters that just pass through EDID and they work fine nothing to switch.

My splitters work fine with TVs in Standby but give the error message if the TV is physically powered off at the mains switch.

Hey @paul cliff - just had a chat with one of our techs. We think that if you set the EDID profile via the selector wheel to number 1...you should be fine. Worst case scenario you might have to change the EDID wheel manually. As mentioned, we are happy to have you try this out with your home set up and return it within 30 days under our compatibility guarantee. You can always call us for a chat on 01684 576 348 if you have any further questions!

Thanks for the info, I will more than likely give this a try then, I'll sort it out after the weekend though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom