• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

NMT HDD Format?

jonny disco

Standard Member
(I have done loads of searching, but still unsure about the following..)

Haven't imported my Kaiboar K200 just yet due to poor £/$ atm (it ticks all my boxes, where as the PCH leaves a couple unticked)

My question is to do with formatting a brand new 1TB HDD in prep for when I get round to purchasing - and fit it inside the NMT. Sounds like EXT2/3 is the way to go if I want to use all features of this type of device, and I've read that if the NMT handles the format it will create partition(s) for various apps.

I'd rather start ripping movies to the new HDD now / before it is delivered to save time later. I realise I'll need a driver so that Windows will be able to see it / use it (it's currently sitting / waiting inside my PC atm) if I want EXT2/3, just concerned about any partition that the NMT might want in place?

The guides I've read are a bit dated, so I'm wondering if the new generation of NMTs can handle all features like Torrents, FTP, etc if I format in NTFS? I'm guessing no. Not too worried if it can't - just concered about having to start all over again from scratch if I get it wrong.

Can anyone advise please?

_monkey_

Established Member
(I have done loads of searching, but still unsure about the following..)

Haven't imported my Kaiboar K200 just yet due to poor £/$ atm (it ticks all my boxes, where as the PCH leaves a couple unticked)

My question is to do with formatting a brand new 1TB HDD in prep for when I get round to purchasing - and fit it inside the NMT. Sounds like EXT2/3 is the way to go if I want to use all features of this type of device, and I've read that if the NMT handles the format it will create partition(s) for various apps.

I'd rather start ripping movies to the new HDD now / before it is delivered to save time later. I realise I'll need a driver so that Windows will be able to see it / use it (it's currently sitting / waiting inside my PC atm) if I want EXT2/3, just concerned about any partition that the NMT might want in place?

The guides I've read are a bit dated, so I'm wondering if the new generation of NMTs can handle all features like Torrents, FTP, etc if I format in oNTFS? I'm guessing no. Not too worried if it can't - just concered about having to start all over again from scratch if I get it wrong.

Can anyone advise please?

Well, if the K200 is anything like a PCH or HDX1000 the device itself includes all the necessary functionality to partition and format the internal hard disk. As they are Linux based you get a choice of EXT2 or 3.

External USB drives are different in that you do have to format before using with an NMT. A list of supported formats is available on Networked Media Tank

jonny disco

Standard Member
So basically I'll have to wait until the NMT arrives and let it handle the format :(
It would have been nice to just wack a HDD in it full of my favourite movies and use straight away, but I guess I'll just have to be patient! :boring:

I'm running rather low on HDD space on my gaming rig and wanted to off-load a pile of rips I already have stored there onto new drive. Oh well, looks like I'll be ordering my K200 sooner than later regardless of price!

Thanks for your reply Monkey :)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom