Nissan Micra - Advice needed

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
We took our 2005 Nissan Micra in today for two probelms, the ABS light is permanently on and the central locking makes a noise from the drivers door when locking.

We took it to a main dealership not far from us and we have only just picked ourselves up off the floor from hearing their quote.

According to them, the ABS control unit and entire loom needs replacing as it is corroded (this car has only done 25000 miles and was recently serviced and MOT's b y the same garage) and to fix the door problem we need a new motor.

They have quoted £1500 + £200 fitting for the ABS thing and a further £200 for the door motor, ludicrous!!!!!

Considering the car is only worth £3500 second hand these days it seems to be an idiotic amount of money to spend on it, also, it's only 6 months out of guarantee :eek:

Is it me?

FZR400RRSP

Banned
My mother's Micra makes a noise from her Central locking too.
Like a horrible 'graunching' noise right after the car locks?
Is that what you're getting?
It doesn't seem to affect performance of the locks, just sounds horrible.
It's an '05 too.

With regard to your car needing major repairs out of warranty.
Out of warranty does not mean you are screwed and it does not mean Nissan can walk away from their responsibilities.
Clearly 25000 miles is not a 'reasonable lifespan' for an ABS unit.
I would therefore press the dealer to phone Nissan, or call Nissan UK customer services yourself.
I've experienced and heard of this working.
They will often pay for the repair completely, or at least contribute towards it.

If you get no joy, try contacting someone like 'Autoexpress' magazine.
Their consumer people are very good with cases like this.
Often exerting pressure on the manufacturer for you.

Last edited:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Oh, further to below (enough edits already).
If they are saying it is corrosion, that won't have happened overnight.
You have every reasonable reason to suspect the corrosion was happening when the car was still under warranty.
So get on the phone to Nissan customer services and mention two phrases

1/ The Corrosion will have been happening when the car was under warranty
2/ 25000 miles is not a 'reasonable lifespan' for an ABS unit.

Good luck.:smashin:

Hitby

Have you tried resetting the ABS light and seeing if it comes back on? There could well have been a self correcting fault in the system - I've just turned my brother in laws off.

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Have you tried resetting the ABS light and seeing if it comes back on? There could well have been a self correcting fault in the system - I've just turned my brother in laws off.

How do you do that?

The dealer is trying to get the work done under warranty for us at the moment, we'll see!

Hitby

I bought a Fault code scanner on ebay for about £25 which did the job - If the car is just out of warranty I'd certainly try and get Nissan to cover the repair.

If they say they won't though I'd try and clear the code and if that failed, take it elsewhere for a second opinion. That's a huge amount of money for a repair on such a young, low mileage car.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Ridiculous prices! Are they sure it's not just the ABS sensor that hasn't packed up? Also the price of the door motor is a total con, you'll get a 2nd hand one from a breakers yard for £40 or £50 but if you can live with the noise until it dies completely it might be a better bet. The thing with Main Dealers is that they have technicians rather than actual mechanics. They probably couldn't fix a leaking sump nut and would tell you it needs a new engine. They are not in the business of fixing things, they will just quote and fit replacement parts.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
but if you can live with the (central locking motor) noise until it dies completely it might be a better bet

That's what I've told my mother to do.
Even if the central locking packs in altogether, it's only ever her in the car 99% of the time.
So she can just use the good old fashioned key.

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
An update.

The garage/Nissan have agreed to supply the part for the ABS freee of charge and we only have to pay the £200 fitting, still waiting on the door lock part, hopefully Nissan will pay for that too.

Would I be labelled paranoid if I was slightly suspicious of this........easy £200 for the garage if the part actually doesn't need replacing.

Hitby

Could be an easy 200quid but I'd be tempted to look at it as a saving of 1500 instead. You'll feel better that way :)

C

clooina

My 2005 Micra did exactly the same thing with the central locking grinding noise and like you I was quoted £200 to have it fixed, only I actually paid it!!

I was too concerned that the lock my bust all together and knowing these garages don't stock the part needed it would have to be left unlocked for a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
An update.

The garage/Nissan have agreed to supply the part for the ABS freee of charge and we only have to pay the £200 fitting, still waiting on the door lock part, hopefully Nissan will pay for that too.

Would I be labelled paranoid if I was slightly suspicious of this........easy £200 for the garage if the part actually doesn't need replacing.

Result!!!:thumbsup:

croftlea

Standard Member
anyone able to help me get justice. My nissan micra 2 days out of 3 year warranty has failed on the abs ecu loom unit. As a female I dont seem to be able to get much help from customer care or garage they have only offered £1200 as a gesture and I have to pay around £1700.

croftlea

Standard Member
All help appreciated on nissan micra failed abs ecu loom on a 3year plus 2 day old care 12.000 miles. Cost to me to repair which I have to as I have no car £1800 goodwill gesture lol from nissan £1200. this car cost me £9500 the garage have offered £3000 to buy it from me. Its official the world is MAD.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Getting Nissan to agree to a goodwill payment is already a result, of sorts.
I think you just need to try more pressure.
Especially if, as you say, the car was only 2 days out of its 3 year warranty and only done 12000 miles.
That should be a totally free repair in anyone's books.
Does it have full main dealer service history, one service per year?

croftlea

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply, I had it serviced 2008 and then I transferred ownership to help my daughter and partner (both serving soldiers). No service 2009 I know kids for you. Still the abs light has only been on for a few days prior to mot due date 31/7/10 would this still have happened had it been service in 2009 by nissan?

regards

FZR400RRSP

Banned
The lack of a service in 2009 definitely doesn't help your case, it gives Nissan an easy way out of the argument.
There's no evidence a service would have identified the problem before it happened, but you can bet your ass Nissan would use that argument.
Can't help thinking the lack of a £150 service is going to cost you dear, sorry.

Last edited:

croftlea

Standard Member
End of problem my 2007 c+c micra 2 days out of warranty with an abs ecu problem.

With a considerable amount of research and encouragement and advice Nissan today agreed to repair this unit with NO COST TO ME. Except I will have to pay again for the MOT lol, fantastic result. To everyone out there keep the faith do your research find like cases and be persistant:thumbsup:.

Well done Nissan Bognor Regis they listened, they heard and they took action.:smashin::clap:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
So from 5:53PM last night to 1204PM today, they had a complete reversal of attitude?
Crikey, what did you say to them?
I mean, I agree the repair should have been done free, I'm just curious as to what's happened in the space of 3 working hours.:confused:

BTW, I didn't notice it was Micra C+C.
I know a girl who bought one and had so many problems with leaks that she just stopped the payments.

croftlea

Standard Member
In a nutshell (not good at that by the way being a female)
1. Found a report honestjohn dated 6/8/10 in telegraph newspaper re same problem car was 4 years old and had done 25,000. nissan paid for repair all but for £400
2. my son-in-law had the car I had transferred ownership for a year to help daughter and him out (both serving soldiers) as they had just bought first house.
3. Son in law had been unable to book nissan car in for mot (due to soldiering stuff) prior to returning ownership to me, he had been away doing army things when he returned the abs light was on. Bored yes most people would be by now, anyway 31/7 was saturday and 1/8/10(sunday) so he could do nothing till monday 2/8/10 when the huge problem and failed mot kicked in.
4. I was due to have the ownership returned to me so ofcourse took it back immediately then to my friendly mechanic first to assess.
5. It took many phone calls many emails many case notes and even started the ball rolling with motorcodes.co.uk.
6. This is my 4th nissan and my son had a 350z so with help from Nissan Bognor and me being a determined Scot I got a RESULT.
thanks for your interest

kind regards

coleen

Chrissie

Standard Member
Can anyone advise me more on this abs issue my partner has a 2005 nissan micra it has a little over 20,000 miles on it and since about 19,000 miles the abs light is on sounds very simliar to some issues raised here i just wanna know if there is anyway of getting nissan to pay for ours as we dont really have 2,500 to get this fixed and really need the car

croftlea

Standard Member
Can anyone advise me more on this abs issue my partner has a 2005 nissan micra it has a little over 20,000 miles on it and since about 19,000 miles the abs light is on sounds very simliar to some issues raised here i just wanna know if there is anyway of getting nissan to pay for ours as we dont really have 2,500 to get this fixed and really need the car

My nissan 1.6 c+c abs light came on a few days prior to its first mot (first reg 31/7/07). My local dealer (where I had bought 3 nissans, all different models) negotiated a £1200 goodwill gesture from Nissan customer care, I was to pay in excess of £1600 the car had done 12,500 miles from new. I rang customer services/ care direct several times their next offer was I pay £660 and they did the work but did not warrant it? I did not understand that either. Several more calls and lots of research I came across an article from Honest John 6/8/10 daily telegraph online that stated another nissan had the same problem and got most of the work done 6 months out of warranty. Eventually the work was done and I paid only for a full service and mot (it had failed on abs/and ecu unit). When my car was picked up from the garage we were informed that this was a bad by design fault. I have now part exchanged my nissan. No more nissans for me. Any help required please do get in touch. be persistent kind regards Coleen

Chrissie

Standard Member
Hiya Coleen

please do you have the customer service number at all that we could use hopefully they may agree to pay for his also it shouldnt happen im sure like u say very bad design fault

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards