Nissan Leaf door locking mystery

imightbewrong

Outstanding Member
Solutions
Reaction score
We're probably missing something obvious, but... When we open the car doors with one press of the key fob, only the driver's door opens. This is IIRC a safety feature so someone can't jump in the passenger seat while you get in. Ok, fine - but we don't want this, so we turn it off via the dashboard settings, and for a while one key press will open the whole car. BUT - after some time, the logic reverts to one-press, one-door.

What are we missing here? Does this feature periodically reset? Is it something to do with they key used? Do the firmware updates (do these happen?) reset it?

The number of times I've sent the children out to get in the car and hit unlock, then when I get there they are out there yanking the handle trying to get in is kind of silly.

Are you using the same key each time?

Honestly don't know - but we've only got two, and have definitely fixed the setting more than twice.

@sirbadger may be onto something, I had the same problem with our Skoda (old school tech) in that one key seemed to be a "master" and kept resetting the car to a default single door opening. Only by programming both keys to be all doors together did I "fix" it.

@sirbadger may be onto something, I had the same problem with our Skoda (old school tech) in that one key seemed to be a "master" and kept resetting the car to a default single door opening. Only by programming both keys to be all doors together did I "fix" it.

We have wondered this - what does 'programming a key' mean - changing the dashboard setting while after the key has opened the car? If so, will try that. Does it work for other things? I like the e-Pedal but SWMBO doesn't - would be cool if it could be 'right' for each of us.

Bearing in mind my Skoda is 2012 technology, yes. Unlock the car with the key then set up using the dashboard, lock the car, then repeat with the settings you want for the for the second key. It might be a bit more complex for the Leaf :)

We have wondered this - what does 'programming a key' mean - changing the dashboard setting while after the key has opened the car? If so, will try that. Does it work for other things? I like the e-Pedal but SWMBO doesn't - would be cool if it could be 'right' for each of us.
It could well be something like this. TBH, I didn’t even know that single door unlocking was a thing, as ours unlocks all doors with the button press, and came to us like that.

I‘ve only just read the manual about this, and can find nothing that would indicate one key would behave differently to another - but then our XC90 does similar with different seat memories being selected depending on which key was used to open the doors - so it may well be that some settings within the car itself are key-dependent. 🤷‍♂️

Doesn't it work that you press the button twice then all the doors open?

I just do that, never bothered to try to sort my car so it defaults to all doors.

I just gave this a try:
  • Went out with both keys
  • Both only unlocked the driver's door with one press
  • Went into dashboard, turned off 'selective unlock'
  • Exited car and locked
  • Now both keys unlock all doors with a single press
  • I expect after some time, it will be back to one door only
  • But why? 🤷‍♂️
Merry Christmas!

Doesn't it work that you press the button twice then all the doors open?

According to the manual, yes, that should happen if you have ‘selective’ door opening enabled.

What am I doing, reading car manuals on Christmas Day?! :facepalm:

Merry Christmas all! 🎅🎉

All's well that ends well :)

Both keys still unlock the whole car with one press - will keep the thread updated as the situation develops.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom