Niravana

Flobs

As posted in the 'What's your system' thread I made the plunge and bought a new pair of speakers.
I spent yesterday afternoon placing them 'correctly' (inbetwwen watching LFC win and taking in a Harry Potter film)and was a bit hesitant on whether they were worth the expense. There were some good points and some questionnable ones.
I then put on Dvorak's 'New World' and as said was blown away however one symphony isn't enough.
This afternnon after my bath I put on Chistine and the queens 'Chaleur Humaine' (from the album of the same title) and there I found it. I hadn't started to increase the volume and there it was an emotion welling up in me. I turned up the volume and tears started rolling down my cheeks. This is something special.
Since having the Rega Aethos I'd experienced many moments of joy and 'wow' moments but this was another dimension.
Isn't this what we are after?
All the precission, tonal equilibrim across the spectrum, clarity ... colminating in those 'special' moments, Joy, astonishment, enthousiasm, ... and pure emotion. All that time, effort and choices at some expense resulting in something special making it all worth while.
Of course it's personal and in HiFi so many other factors come into play that make ones persons system choices different from anothers. There just has to be a Nirava out there for every audiophile, Melomane out there. Keep looking.

Would anyone else like to share some 'special' moments.

My equipement, USB stick with MP3 files on it plugged into TV, optical out to FiiO Taismann DAC, audioquest golden gate RCA leads, Rega Aethos, some speaker wires I can not even remember buying, Davis Acoustics 30 on dedicated, lested stands, My room and my ears.

gibbsy

USB stick with MP3 files
I had an Elicit-R and my only source of music was SACD or CD from Denon DCD 2500 NE player. Imagine how good your system would be if you increased the quality of the source. Classical music on SACDs can be sublime. On the other hand the highly compressed Chareur Humaine will sound dreadful (a disc I own on CD but rarely play because of the poor quality).

Nico72

MP3?

Flobs

Nico72

I don’t know all of your kit, but feeding MP3 to a £3k amp is like buying a Ferrari and converting it to run on LPG.
It’s great you are enjoying it, but please consider switching to CDs or FLAC. MP3 is highly compressed.

Flobs

I had an Elicit-R and my only source of music was SACD or CD from Denon DCD 2500 NE player. Imagine how good your system would be if you increased the quality of the source. Classical music on SACDs can be sublime. On the other hand the highly compressed Chareur Humaine will sound dreadful (a disc I own on CD but rarely play because of the poor quality).
Thanks @gibbsy. Now I've my main components sorted I'll concentrate on the sources and above all, as I can afford it (once I've got over the 8000 euros splashed) spending on better recording formats.
I've got a lot on MP3 files as for quite a while I didn't have anything that could decode FLAC and Flawless or whatever. I need to get up to date there.
Dvorak was played from CD and of course I have an old record collection (just haven't got round to playing any yet, I like having lots of time for that).

Flobs

I don’t know all of your kit
It's listed in my signature. ;)
As for the advise no worries as acknowledged to Gibbsy.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
On the other hand the highly compressed Chareur Humaine will sound dreadful (a disc I own on CD but rarely play because of the poor quality).
That's an interesting observation - the LP sounds incredible (to my ears, at least).

gibbsy

That's an interesting observation - the LP sounds incredible (to my ears, at least).
The 2016 vinyl has an average DR reading of 10. The blue vinyl 2015 edition is even higher with an average of 13, which is very good. In contrast the 2015 CD special edition, which I have, is a miserly average of 06, downloads are even lower. I now only listen on headphones and just no escape for compressed recordings on my set up.

Flobs

@gibbsy what is Dynamic Range D8?
I mean the DR of the human voice is only 40dBs yet we can tell a whisper compared to a shout and on a 1 to twenty scale that would be about 6.4.
I find all this very confusing as you how instrument dynamics which are often even narrower than the human voice. I suppose here we might be talking about compression dynamics but there I'm completely lost.
How does all this define recording 'quality' if at all?

Anyway my MP3 of Christine and the queens sounds ok to me, yes it's not greatly dynamic then does music need to be?

I just looked up Rag'n'bone man which I thought would have a similar dynamic range than Christine and the queens and low and behold yes it does both are 6. Even so my deluxe copy of Human sounds good.

larkone

Compared to to a CD (1411kbps), MP3s at 320kbps are about 22% of the original information

gibbsy

@gibbsy what is Dynamic Range D8?
Here's a good article on how dynamic range and the loudness war impacts on the quality of recordings.

Flobs

Here's a good article on how dynamic range and the loudness war impacts on the quality of recordings.

That's not what I asked, I want to know what Dynamic Range D8 is? and what it's measuring?

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom