Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

nintendo's return to stardom?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by snake II, Jan 31, 2004.

1. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all ,

Just wondering after the snes nintendo have had a hard time getting developers to their home console. I am no fan boy, I have a ps2 gc, gba,ps, n64. But by the looks of it, okay sony have a good position, even though they have the greatest games, gta:3/vice city, onimusha, getaway aswell as a whole library of others.
    But my point is the only company out of the three, well in my mind nintendo deserve to get back to the top well even though they made mistakes like the pricing strategy of the snes, developers had a great task keeping up with financial issues with ninty at that period, but i was wondering do ninty have a chance of getting to the top? By the looks of it I think they can achieve it maybe not by the n5 but a console after it?

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    nintendo just need to get a big catalogue of generic games for its next console and it will be fine

3. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    nintendo have always been at the top
    1892 started making playing cards !!
    early 1980's were making hand held video games and watches
    1985 NES defied all odds of the Video game crash of 1983 dominated and destroyed every console on the market
    1990 SNES continued the reign of terror till the mid 90s
    1989 gameboy was released and hasnt stopped selling to this day
    Also the proud owners of the most recognisable game character in the world "Mario"

Ok yes the PS2 and Xbox have taken over the market by a long shot, no doubt about it but nintendo still own the handheld market and thats what they concentrate on most now because competition is too big

they will win back a hell of a lot with the next console which is going to be a "Dual Screen handheld" all will be revealed at the next E3 show.Cant wait for that one !
    Im a massive nintendo fan and can honestly say they will probably never get the better over sony and microsoft for home consoles, but they do seem to have some funky tricks up their sleeves ;)

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Competition is always good for any market and this one is no different. Obviously Sony own the market by a long, long way and most people (i'd warrant) identify home consoles with the "Playstation" products.

Theres no reason why Ninty shouldn't get back on top, but their advertising strategy (much like Microsoft's) is non-existant.

The market has also completely shifted since the emergence of the PS1, attracting people who never previously played games, and now dominate the market as well. That is people who pick up and play a game for 30 minutes a day, compared to the more "hardcore" gamers who prefer their xboxs or GC's.

Both Xbox and GC need to attract these gamers and the only real way to do that is through advertising, which they haven't seemed to grasp. How do you think the PS1 got such brand recognition?

They advertised everywhere, sponsored "cool" people like snowboarders and skaters, had those "pods" in every nightclub, stickers on skateramps, endless commercials on TV.

Nintendo will always have their market and will always have a share in the handheld market (although psp might take some away) but don't take for granted just because they are a famous name that they'll be around forever, just take Sega as an example!

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Sega are still around, it's just that they made the intellegent choice and deceided to make games instead of selling electronic equipment at a loss. Nintendo should do the same. They are great games developers but comparatively small companies like Sega and Nintendo can no longer cut it in the hardware market when faced by giants such as Sony and MIcrosoft.

Sony make electronic hardware as their main business and Microsoft are just Huge so can basically do what ever they like. To be honest companies such as Pannasonic and Pioneer would probably do better in the hardware market than Sega or Nintendo.

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I don't really mind as I can play Ninty games on my GC.

Didn't panasonic do the 3DO?? :eek:

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  8. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +668
    There is indeed the ultracool Panasonic Q, but I read somewhere (back end of last week I think) that Panasonic had now ceased production of the Q.

9. i_like_it_cube

i_like_it_cube
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the fact that Nintendo need to advertise more. They made ads for Star Wars Rogue Leader and VERY old games when the Cube came out but I think that they should make ads for:

Sonic Heroes
    Harvest Moon: It's a Wonderful Life!
    Resident Evil 4 - near when it comes out
    Player's Choice games! Half my mates don't know that some games are Player's Choice!

10. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason Sega and Nintendo lost ground to Sony is because they are games companies at heart with games companies values. They want to be about fun and often bring up the word 'family' when they talk about their audiences.
    Sony however seemed to start out aiming for all those people who perhaps thought gaming was for kids, they tapped into a massive market by making gaming cool.
    You can also never forget how Sony hyped up the Playstation 2 claiming 60 million polygons a second and 20 times more powerful than the Dreamcast.
    Sega bewilderingly only guessed at about 3 million polygons per second for their machine but were actually quoting 'in game' performance, why would a games company quote anything else?
    I dont think Nintendo have been interested in making any claims.

As it turned out Sony were full of crap, the Playstation 2 on release was regarded by many as one of the most disappointing pieces of Hardware ever.

To be honest if Nintendo are going to release another console to capture the mainstream Playstation owner, it needs to be without the name' nintendo' on it, needs to be available in silver only and look 'high tech' or lifestyley. Mario also needs a make over, they probably wouldnt be far off if they dressed him like Ali-G and had a joint in his mouth. :zonked:

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Yes, very true. Sony are fantastic at marketing and "designing" hardware where as Sega and Nintendo are superb at making great, fun games.

To be honest I feel that all of the current generation of consoles have dissapointed me after the Dreamcast. They all came out way after and the improvement shown in the technology for this time gap was very dissapointing.

I guess you have to ask, how powerful do you need your console at the end of the day! It seems that as consoles get more powerful, more and more of the fun is stripped from games in favour of more realism. I guess that's the main reason why retro gaming is now so huge! It's so refreshing to just put a wonderful, playable, addictive and attractive game on such as say...virtua tennis, outrun, afterburner, gauntlet, R-Type, streets of rage, streetfighter 2 etc and just have fun.

I'm not against real life grit and violence etc. by any means but games these days seem to strive for this more, rather than being a game! Thank god Sega and Nintendo are still producing class titles!

12. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was an interesting piece on Newsnight(?) last night, about Japan being a pacifist country ever since WWII and how the current Prime Minister wants the country to be 'Normal' again, and is now sending a small group of troops to Iraq.
    One of the jobs the Japanese Army has done in the past is to build Snow castles for the Snow festival!
    I wonder if this pacifism is responsible for the cutesy character obsession and brightly coloured fun and family orientated gaming?

Maybe the Japanese Prime Minister will demand Mario and Sonic carry Uzi's from now on?
    Would be a big selling point for the Playstation 3 :laugh: