1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nintendo- why does it need to grow up?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Duncan, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simple question- I keep seeing this bandied around with claims that its for kids.

What utter rot- have any of you guys actually taken the time to try one, or see what games are coming out? And anyway Pointon is saying that Nintendo needs to grow up and in the same topic is raving about Tony Hawkes Skateboard- wows skateboarding thats a really adult thing to do........

I beg you take a look- especially try the controller, it truly is gorgeous to use. And any quick look at the release list currently out in the shops shows more "adult" games than so called kiddies games:

All Star Baseball 2002 £34.78 Buy
    Batman Vengeance £32.58 Buy
    Crazy Taxi £35.22 Buy
    Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX2 £35.22 Buy
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem £32.14 Buy
    Extreme G3 £33.90 Buy
    FIFA Soccer 2002 £21.56 Buy
    Galleon: Islands of Mystery £33.90 Buy
    Luigi's Mansion £33.46 Buy
    Madden NFL 2002 £36.54 Buy
    Memory Card 59 £16.72 Buy
    NFL Blitz 2002 £34.34 Buy
    NFL QB CLUB 2002 £35.22 Buy
    NHL 2002 £35.66 Buy
    NHL Hitz 2002 £35.66 Buy
    Pac Man World 2 £34.34 Buy
    Pikmin £33.02 Buy
    Simpson's Road Rage £35.66 Buy
    Smashing Drive £34.34 Buy
    Sonic Adventure 2 Battle £34.78 Buy
    SSX Tricky £36.54 Buy
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader £32.14 Buy
    Super Monkey Ball £28.61 Buy
    Super Smash Brothers Melee £33.02 Buy
    Tarzan Untamed £32.58 Buy
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 £35.66 Buy
    Universal Studios Theme Park £14.52 Buy
    Virtua Striker 3: Version 2002 £34.78 Buy
    Wave Race: Blue Storm £33.02 Buy

Hmm.........
    :D

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think you were trying to make a point, but unfortunately you failed by totally getting everything wrong.

Tony Hawks Skateboarding is a very good game, the third installment promises to be excellent. By the way, the game does not feature big cartoonish, cute characters skating around fantasy worlds. It is not a game about little children riding down a bank on their oversized board they bought from Argos. It is a game aimed at a more mature audience, as anyone who actually understood my point knows. However, I have not raved about it once.

Nintendo are the greates games company in the world. Understand? Their consoles are always the best that can be bought. Understand? Their games are the best games ever made. Understand? But their image is still bright and cute. The Gamecube, as wonderful as it may be to use and play, does not move away from this image. Things have started looking up on that front as I've begun to see that a lot more 'adult' games are being developed for the machine - Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, and even Tony Hawks debuts with Nintendo. Of course, they aren't the games I or other people invest in Nintendo for, because then there are the games that everyone in the Nintendo-know wants to play - Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Super Monkey Ball, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Zelda. These are the games I can't wait to get a Gamecube for.

But this is only because I know this. I like to know what I'm talking about. I can look past appearances and see great games. Many people, unfortunately the majority, cannot do this. They see cutesy graphics which may have appealed to them once when young, but no longer. They want games with more mature and 'adult' content, like Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil (all of which I hope surface on the GC). They might be interested in Mario because he's the most famous of all. But most will pass it by because of what they see. The public is shallow. You can see it in not just the games industry, but also in the music and film industry. It's the same reason so much crap sells while great stuff goes unnoticed. Sega have perished simply because they were linked with the old ways of the industry, something for children, and because they were so concerned with having their console out first. Nintendo have done the right thing in taking their time with the Gamecube, but they have to move away from their old image. Otherwise, they could easily go the same way as Sega.

And as I have said many times before, for Nintendo to end would be the most disasterous thing to happen to the games industry since its birth.

Next time, read what I say.

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nintendo is not for kids. Nintendo is for everyone. My point is that unfortunately Everyone does not see this. Nintendo needs to do something about this.

4. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan where did you get those Gamecube game prices from?
    (in the first post of this thread)

Anne

5. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got them from www.dvdboxoffice.com- they dont charge shipping either even on peripherals.

Only downside is that it can take up to 10 days for stuff to arrive, but frequently it is shipped before official release dates. There DVDs are really cheap as well.

What gets me about this conception that Nintendo is childish is that this image has only been pushed by its competitors. Nintendo has always published Adult Content Titles- the first ever Metal Gear Solid on the NES was a Konami game published by Nintendo.

Im glad you do seem to be a fan of Nintendo, and I apologise for taking you as being a PS2/Xboy fanboy.

Maybe they should try a more mature approach - and early GameCube ads suggest this- but then again why should they? GameCube in the US is already the best launch of a console ever, so maybe after the Trade Centre disaster the American public look at Nintendos cute and cuddly games as a relief from so called Adult games? Surely if Nintendo have an image problem then the ever so cute Luigis Mansion(and rather repeitive IMO- not Nintendos finest hour, but Wave Race and Monkey Ball have made up for this) became the fastest selling console game in history by selling over 300,000 copies on day one would not have sold so well- and the more adult launch titles would have come out tops?

I hope Nintendo sticks at what it does best- and lets the 3rd party developers provide the adult stuff. After all Sega seem to let GC have their best exclusives and PS2 and X-Box will never have Ninty games- so if the 3rd party support is good then GameCubes future could be assured.

Very reassuring to know also that considering X-Box had 3 days start on GameCube that it was outsold 2-1- a point missed by some of the Xboxes supporters.

6. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like all the consoles, but unfortunetly can only afford one at the moment, so I will be getting an Xbox first, then later I will try and get a Gamecube (if funds permit).

Yes Nintendo have been typecasted that they only make games for the younger market, however Nintendo is trying to break this mold by bringing out a lot more adult orientated games.

This could backfire though, as it might put parents off from buying a GC becuase they dont want there child getting hold of an adult game (this is the reason why Microsoft put a parental lock on the Xbox)

Anne

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Most of the discussion I have become involved in is about the XBox, but believe me, the first console I want is the Nintendo Gamecube.

The Gamecube is a sure thing. There's no need to discuss it. The games are going to be fantastic, total works of genius. There is no question that it will be THE next gen console.

There are bigger questions and doubts about the XBox which I would like to think are unfounded... but it is yet to prove itself.

Nintendo are gaming. The XBox should be second on your list to the Gamecube. If there's only one console to own, it's which ever Nintendo have out at the time.

Apologies if this posting is unreadable, I am quite drunk writing this.

8. NicolaUK

NicolaUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D

Hopefully my Gamecube will be with me tomorrow (From TAU who now seem to have more stock if anyone's interested!) :)

I know gaming is not often seen as a girly thing but I'm a big fan especially of Nintendo, yes it's cutesy BUT it's all about gameplay, to me their games are the best. I also have a megadrive/ps1/dreamcast/N64/GBA BTW :)

9. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who are TAU?

The Console and Games companies need to consider the female market more, and I dont mean more barbie games - I have a Dreamcast as well, the pads are definetly not designed for anyone with long nails, as mine always get bent inwards :eek:

Anne

10. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WHO ARE tau AND HOWMUCH ARE THEY SELLING THE GAMECUBE FOR?

11. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm interesting thread,

I have been enjoying an dual Japanese/American Gamecube for around two weeks now.

I wouldnt call my games content childish. In fact only cutesy Luigis Mansion is what I call a Kiddie Looker...

Rogue Squadron 2, Tony Hawks 3 (which is stunning and far superior to the PS2 version), Super Monkey Ball and Wave Race are all very good.

The reason Nintendo are not viewed in the same light as the masses is because they lack three game genres which look to be coming to GC.

These are:

1) Fighting Games - PS2 has several and XBox has DOA3
    2) Car Games - PS2 has GT3 and Xbox has Gotham
    3) Adventure Games - PS2 has Final Fantasy and XBox has hmm...

With the news that Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer is coming to GC in Feb next year they'll have Soccer sewn up.

Nintendo do have to try and shake the kiddie image, but in the same breath continue to push Pokemon et al.

Me personally? Its a mute point as I buy all the consoles when there are 5 games I want for them... Xbox currently has 4 ;)

Jenz.

12. NicolaUK

NicolaUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TAU are Total Action Universe :)

I've ordered a bundle from them - console, extra controller, memory card and Luigi's Mansion for $499 CAD insured shipping was only $15 CAD :)

Mine was shipped on 20th, should be with me any day now.

They're doing free worldwide shipping on games now too :)