Nintendo to make me pay for repair of faulty Wii!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bairdyboy1980

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had a problem with my wii that i need to send it back to nintendo for repair. I got it for xmas off of my gf (she got it from ebay france).

I have an error coming up on my wii so i phoned them to return it. The guy says "where did you purchase the console"
"Ebay"
"The warranty is now void as ebay is a 2nd hand site, unless you have the original receipt?"
"Nope!"
"The service team may be of a different opinion but when they diagnose the fault they may ask you to pay for it as you dont have your original proof of purchase"

I have emailed the seller to see what he is going to do but can nintendo do this? Anyones thoughts?

I'm no expert by any means, but IIRC the warranties of many items do not transfer to the new owner if the original purchaser decides to sell on. Assuming your unit is second hand, this might apply to you too. I just had a look in the warranty information in the back of a DS game manual (my Wii box is in the loft) and it doesn't stipulate that in the warranty there, might be different for hardware though.

Also, I am sure I read someone on here recently saying that Nintendo can tell when the Wii was purchased by the serial number. Not sure how, presumably this relies on the unit being registered with Nintendo at the time of purchase.

What repair is needed, and is it going to be expensive?

Well... only sounds fair enough if you ask me. Who knows what the previous owner put it through. They may have poured water into it.

I wouldn't expect Nintendo to repair my Wii if I had abused it so.

That said, like the customer service guy says, the repair team may say its okay, I've heard of a couple of stories of Nintendo being pretty generous about Wii repairs. All hinges on what the fault is I guess..

Sorry I can't be of anymore help!

(P.S. It could even be over a year old, if it was a launch day console. Does anyone know what the warranty is on a Wii? Standard 1 year deal?)

Find someone with a receipt for a UK console bought in a UK shop and take it back for replacement.

No one will lose out.

hi all,

The fault on the system is that when you load a game it then laswer SHOULD move to position and you hear 1 click sound. With mine you hear lots of click sounds as if the laser is confused. It comes up with an error message too. Its not the games as they are brand new.

I wont know how much it will cost until the repair team look at it.

I emailed the ebay seller and he said he actually has the receipt. I asked for clarity as an ebay receipt will not do!

I suppose to should learn my lesson with ebay. But i suppose i can blame the gf as it was her that bought it for my xmas! hehe!

hi all,

The fault on the system is that when you load a game it then laswer SHOULD move to position and you hear 1 click sound. With mine you hear lots of click sounds as if the laser is confused. It comes up with an error message too. Its not the games as they are brand new.

I wont know how much it will cost until the repair team look at it.

I emailed the ebay seller and he said he actually has the receipt. I asked for clarity as an ebay receipt will not do!

I suppose to should learn my lesson with ebay. But i suppose i can blame the gf as it was her that bought it for my xmas! hehe!

When I purchased super mario galaxy game it did the above turned out it was a faulty disc. Purchased a new copy and worked fine as did all my other games

When I purchased super mario galaxy game it did the above turned out it was a faulty disc. Purchased a new copy and worked fine as did all my other games

Its happened on 3 of my games now. Tiger woods 08, wii sports, mario party 8. Its def the console.

If the console sold was a new one and not really 2nd hand then.....

Did you give Nintendo your serial number ?

If not then call them again and tell them you didn't purchase it, that it was a gift. You don't know where the gift was purchased. If pressed on this then state that due to shortages in the UK then it may have been purchased by a friend/relative in France. If they question that then tell them that the fact it may have been bought in France has no relevance as the console has a Europe wide warranty.
Good luck.

If it was 2nd hand then you'll probably have no option but pay for the repair. Make it clear you need to be aware of the costs before any repair work is undertaken.

have you installed all the latest firmware updates?

If the console sold was a new one and not really 2nd hand then.....

Did you give Nintendo your serial number ?

If not then call them again and tell them you didn't purchase it, that it was a gift. You don't know where the gift was purchased. If pressed on this then state that due to shortages in the UK then it may have been purchased by a friend/relative in France. If they question that then tell them that the fact it may have been bought in France has no relevance as the console has a Europe wide warranty.
Good luck.

If it was 2nd hand then you'll probably have no option but pay for the repair. Make it clear you need to be aware of the costs before any repair work is undertaken.

I didnt give the serial number. The seller from ebay has just emailed and said he has the orignial receipt, so all is good!!

kez said:
have you installed all the latest firmware updates?

Nope i havnt, i havnt connected to the net. A firmware update will not solve this, its gubbed!

I didnt give the serial number. The seller from ebay has just emailed and said he has the orignial receipt, so all is good!!

Excellent! Good luck with the repair, turnaround time was 10 days (inc weekend) for me.

hi i was told that they knew when the console was sold through the serial number game told me that

i have been trying to get through to nintendo, emailed then no joy ,

been phoning for about three days now always engaged

game have told me that they dont know when they are getting any in

so wii been broke now since last wed

and no joy stinks dont it

hi i was told that they knew when the console was sold through the serial number game told me that

i have been trying to get through to nintendo, emailed then no joy ,

been phoning for about three days now always engaged

game have told me that they dont know when they are getting any in

so wii been broke now since last wed

and no joy stinks dont it

That dont sound too good! I dont know if you have time at work but once i got past the engaged tone, i let it ring for about 30 mins. You will get through if you do this. Its the only way lol

hi no dont get chance to use phone at work

have not got past the engaged tone either yet

wont get chance to try and phone tomorrow either at work all day
well fed up :mad:

I bought a US Wii off ebay- it developed a fault, I had no receipt.

I sent it to a friend in the US who sent it to Nintendo, they swapped it out free of charge.

Nintendo UK are clearly not as good as the US devision.

hi no dont get chance to use phone at work

have not got past the engaged tone either yet

wont get chance to try and phone tomorrow either at work all day
well fed up :mad:

I had to phone up again today. Once i got through to "please wait your call is waiting" over and over again, i left it on for about 30 minutes before i got through. and that was at 6pm. Keep trying, honestly!!

I phoned on a monday afternoon and got through, I kept getting the engaged tone but just hand up and kept redialling untill I got through, I hope my turnaround is 10 days.

Update: i didnt put the receipt in the box when i shipped off. Nintendo billed me for 28 quid repairs. I faxed the receipt. recieved the unit back today all fixed. all worked out!

I got mine back 8 days after I posted it, with a new fault, now im waiting for a postel note so I can post it back to them again!

Find someone with a receipt for a UK console bought in a UK shop and take it back for replacement.

No one will lose out.

No...DO NOT do this :nono:. This is fraud and should be frowned upon (regardless of whether the shop "loses out" or not).

Update: i didnt put the receipt in the box when i shipped off. Nintendo billed me for 28 quid repairs. I faxed the receipt. recieved the unit back today all fixed. all worked out!

Glad you got your problem sorted out Bairdyboy :smashin:.

Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom