Nintendo Switch Review

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch' started by Mark Hodgkinson, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,402
    2. SteveeJ

SteveeJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +476
      long list of apparent cons, high price of required accessories and ridiculous game prices. Nintendo onto a winner.

3. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,020
      Halve the price and loads more games Inc 3rd party and I'd think about it

My 12 years old psp is still getting loads of play!

4. nenito2k

nenito2k

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +116
      can't believe this box sold over a million in just a few days ? a people throwing money....i dumped nintendo after the N64...and will never come back; gamecube was nice but wii and wiiU were a disaster aimed at babies...and switch is no better....and that price is just too high

5. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,153
      When Ninty release the switch Purley in its handheld form witrout the dock at the correct price point for a hand held , then I will bite. I would say at a lower price point but Nintys old guard in charge are just to intransigent for change to compete it seems. With 3rd party support this time around I can see switch being a great seller. I have no reason to play Ninty games on a 4K display , as a top lone hand held though....yup.

6. iwb100

iwb100

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,967
      Yes. The 100M selling Wii, sure was a disaster. Not sure what Nintendo must have thought. Only 101M sales, they should have immediately sacked everyone involved......

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    7. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,467
      Must. Resist. Urge. To. Repeat. Myself. Again.

I know how people love repetition....

8. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,153
      Would be the worst possible thing for Nintendo to release a traditional games console to compete with Sony or MS .

A strong Nintendo presence in the home console market is and can only be good for the industry.

They have also released a launch game for the system regarded as possibly the best open world game ever in Zelda

9. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,020
      Wii yes, .....WiiU not so much

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,370
      It's a fantastic little console this, I absolutely love it. I wasn't convinced when it was first revealed, but since owning it, it has become arguably my favourite console at the moment. I do own a couple of PS4 Pros, a PS4, an Xbox One and an Xbox One S, so have the market for current consoles well covered, but this is the device that I enjoy using the most.

They have really cracked the hybrid console design and it performs well in TV, Tabletop and handheld modes. Sure it's not going to give you the capabilities of the PS4 Pro, but that doesn't mean that we won't see some stunning games on the system. Yes Horizon ZD on the PS4 Pro looks stunning, but I actually prefer the superb attention to detail in Zelda's visuals.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    11. Nostromo71

Nostromo71

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +340
      I love Nintendo consoles but there is just nothing about the Switch that appeals to me.

12. iwb100

iwb100

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,967
      It's really quite simple. Nintendo have found a rather huge gap in the market that technology is only really now just about able to fill. And exploited it.

There is no gap for a third traditional home console. That market is sewn up.

But Nintendo have looked at trends in computing, tablets etc and are the first to really design a software supported console on these principles.

If you consider that fewer people are watching TV in the traditional way now and are ditching big screen TVs for mobile devices, especially in Asia, it is probably a move that is in line with general trends.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    13. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,153
      It's also the gap that only Nintendo can exploit with their game library , I think it will do very well viewing it as a premium handheld device.
      Mobile is a large gaming market to tap into but Switch needs big 3rd party AAA support this time for the western market to gain real momentum.

14. Goldorak

Goldorak
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,583
      And that's exactly why I made the jump today and reserved it plus Zelda
      The majority of the comments are negative except yours and cas fan.

My son 8 had the wii and wii u plus ps vista. He didn't really play with them and I have thrown money by the window

Portability and not playing always on the TV is what this new generation wants. I am from generation x and could not understand why he wanted that over his iPad or wii u

I decided to then do the practical stuff...wait and hope for price drop or bundle. I also heard superhardcore gamer rave about how special Zelda is.

He got an award yesterday at school and that was the end of me. I reserved one and will offset half the price or more selling his old game stuff.

To be fair, I would have been happy to pay full price. It has surely flaws but I applaud the move and innovation.
      Am I an idiot? Probably but his smile made my day and I will play with him :) when I get my TV (that, I have been waiting years for and should come next month ha ha ha )

15. ukpetey

ukpetey

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +250
      Review quote: "The stereo speakers are placed at the bottom of the Switch, at the rear....."

Nope. They are on the front below the lower bezel, on the rear are the heat exhausts.

@Mark Hodgkinson

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    16. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      Bought one to day with zelda breath of the wild.
      Fun lill thing a good second console to have for the casual games.
      Can se myself using it in bed with Mario kart 8 online :clap:

17. Kingchin

Kingchin

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +63
      The Wii U may have been a disaster only selling only 14 million consoles but you could say the same about Xbox One. It's flopped just as bad barely selling half as many consoles as PS4, as for the original Wii that certainly wasn't a disaster, it was a great success third highest selling console of all time.

Selling over 100 million consoles, may not have been most powerful of it's generation but it got alot of older people into gaming for the first time, and Wii fit helped alot of people take up exercise. I skipped the Wii U as i didn't like the cheap kiddy looking GamePad, I've had the Switch from release day and can assure you it's a sleek looking well made piece of kit.

It's definitely not aimed at babies, the Switch adverts show mostly adults playing. Can see the Switch taking off like the Wii did, only this time the game's will be much better. Breath Of The Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey all within the first ten months, along with some big game announcements at E3 2017.

18. SteveeJ

SteveeJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +476
      Have a look at Switch reviews. Then have a look at the Wii U reviews. Once Zelda, Mario and Mario kart get old what do you do with it? If by Christmas more games and at lower price maybe. For those who have jumped in now i really hope your loyalty is rewarded.

19. SteveeJ

SteveeJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +476
      Wii U is a great console but lack of 3rd party killed it...

20. Kingchin

Kingchin

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +63
      Breath Of The Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey that's four big exclusives way better than any Xbox One exclusives this year. PS4 is not to bad with Horizon Zero Dawn and couple of other's.

Big upcoming multiplatform games like Read Dead Redemption 2 would be nice but not to fussed, outside Nintendo for rest of the year there's Yooka Laylee, Sonic Mania, Snakepass, Fifa 2018 plus tons of indie game's. They will more than keep me occupied, day's of gamers binge playing for 12 hour's at a time are mostly gone.

21. onezeon

onezeon

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,475
      RDR 2 has zero chance of being on Switch imo

I'd not buy a Switch if your looking for big AAA 3rd party games....just get a PS4.
      I'll be getting a Switch soon to compliment my PS4 Pro with games I can't get ATM (Zelda,MARIO etc etc) or portability on some games

22. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,184
      Switch is the first Nintendo console I'm looking to buy since the Gamecube.

I loved the Vita but as a handheld alone, it just didn't get played enough. I use my XBOX One S for mainly Blurays and my partner won't want me hogging the TV to play games so to me Switch seems like it may be the way to go.

And like I've said in other threads, I just want to play the kind of games like I played as kid which are far more fUn than 99% of games that are released these days

23. pbb76

pbb76

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,450
      The switch is a nice compliment to a ps4 or Xbox, not to compete with it. I wouldn't want a GTA or a FIFA game on it personally. When September rolls around, unless it's a miracle, I will not pick the switch version of FIFA over the ps4 - purely because it will be better experience on ps4, portability aside.

But what I absolutely love my Switch for are the experiences I'm not going to get elsewhere. Firstly the aaa games, your zelda and Mario kart. To have definitive versions of these games and being able the play them anywhere is amazing.

Then other games that don't need as much power so the ps4 version is irrelevant - stuff like puyo puyo Tetris, Isaac, disgaea ... to have these portable is going to brilliant.

The variety of games I have already is so impressive and as someone said above, the switch is easily my favourite console at the moment out of ps4, vita and 3ds. I've been on it every day as much as my time allows.

I can't believe some of the nonsense comments in this thread too be honest...

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    24. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,153
      WOW it must be good :cool:, can certainly think of better things to do in bed , even at my age ;). Hmm well maybe a switch would spice things up a bit :smashin: .

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,370
      Yes, exactly. Nintendo have really played to their strengths with the Switch. Their games and consoles have the ability to transcend all ages and all gaming ability levels and appeal therefore to a wide market. No company has really ever been able to deliver a gaming experience that can appeal to the casual gamer and the gaming enthusiast (core gamer etc.) like Nintendo can.

Further to this, they have been market leaders in the handheld console market since they entered it with the Gameboy, nearly 30 years ago (or you could even argue, with their Game and Watch devices.)

They could have gone down a similar route to the PS4 and Xbox and produced an all singing, all dancing console, but that would have been playing more into Sony & Microsoft's hands, rather than their own. They may have made a success of that route, but instead they have focused on delivering the best and most powerful handheld console, which can also deliver a very respectable big screen gaming experience. They have also thought hard about fun ways to play games and the whole tabletop mode means that you always have a good local multiplayer option available, where ever you are.

The Switch is a console that you have to 'get' to understand what makes it so great. It's easy to get drawn in to dismissing it due to it's comparative power alongside the other consoles. I guess that Nintendo's challenge is in helping folk to get what the console is all about. The marketing has been much better already than it was with the Wii Consoles and there's certainly a great vibe surrounding the console.

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,370
      To be honest, the Dock will not add much to the price of the console at all. It's essentially a plastic box with a simple circuit board in it to deal with the USB to HDMI signal and the USB ports. The console is not badly priced and you can just use it purely as a handheld if you wish (although I tend to find that folk end up using it in a combination of all of the modes in reality). Zelda looks fantastic on my 65" 4K OLED and it's a game that I prefer to play on the big screen.

Don't forget that the 3DS launched at £229, so £279 for the Switch, (which is considerably more powerful, had a larger screen, the detachable joy cons etc.) isn't bad IMO.

27. TJP75

TJP75

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +713
      Indeed it is! I never understood the appeal until I bought one on a runout sale and I love the Wii U and it's ability to run most of the games on the handheld screen. Shame the third party support wasn't there despite some interesting Ubisoft and EA games early on in the Wii U's life.

We have an Xbox 360, Xbox One S and a PS4 along with the Wii U and the Wii U is the console used the most by a wide margin. The Nintendo games are sensational fun which makes buying a Nintendo console so compelling. If I want shooters, RPG or racing games, I have my PC to play.

28. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,817
      I may get temped,say when it comes with Zelda bundle in :)

29. stoomc

stoomc

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +477
      I would say the majority of comments have been positive about the Switch... Unless you are just meaning this thread specifically?

30. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +524
      At the moment it doesn't seem like Nintendo are struggling to sell the Switch, quite the reverse in fact.

But if it did show some slowdown I think it would make sense for them to sell a version of the switch without the dock at £199. Remember the 3DS only really started to sell when they brought the price down below the £199 price point

It's a big psychological price point for a lot of people, many of whom might well buy a dock/grip combo at £80 in the future once they see the benefits.

Giving people choice has got to be a good thing. If I could buy two Switches for £400 (one for me and one for my son) I would already have done so, but at £560 it would be too much. Any money Nintendo would have lost they would already have made up from me through the software I would have bought.