Nintendo Switch Online Content Playable Offline?

Forzafan

Hi,

I have a NS online full membership and downloaded the new mario kart tracks (and the Animal Crossing content) but it has occurred to me that i may not be able to access the content when my switch is offline. I tried playing them when out this morning and the message came up 'checking this content can be played' and then wouldn't let me. But i was able to play them late last night.

Surely, with a console literally designed to be played out and about, i have got this wrong?! Maybe i have but if i haven't this seems a bit harsh albeit Nintendo by definition have a history of very odd choices!

Can someone confirm for me either way please. Also presumably the classic N64 games can only be played online and not downloaded to your switch?

Thanks in advance

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
If you’ve payed for the content up front then yes you can play offline, if downloaded as part of the Online Subscription then it will initially have a check of the server to make sure there’s an active subscription in place in order to use that content.
Same principle for NES,SNES,N64 & Megadrive which are all only useable under the online subscription.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
If you’ve payed for the content up front then yes you can play offline, if downloaded as part of the Online Subscription then it will initially have a check of the server to make sure there’s an active subscription in place in order to use that content.
Same principle for NES,SNES,N64 & Megadrive which are all only useable under the online subscription.
If I remember correctly, I think it ‘dials home’ every 2 weeks to check your subscription is still active. So you can play offline for 2 weeks before it will eventually need you to go online to reactivate.

Forzafan

hmm that did not seem to work for me as i was online yesterday but not this morning and couldn't access the content

hippo99

Distinguished Member
hmm that did not seem to work for me as i was online yesterday but not this morning and couldn't access the content
I think the official release date for the booster pack release was today, so you probably needed to ‘dial home’ today on Mario Kart.

Try playing one of the new tracks with Wifi connection active, then turn off Wifi & see whether it still plays whilst offline.

Forzafan

Thank you yes this appears to be the case as I’ve tried a couple of times offline over the weekend and it has worked offline.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom