Nintendo Switch OLED

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
Thankfully Nintendo doesn’t factor in what the Reddit crowd screams at it for years when it comes to designing games and consoles, they do what works for them, sometimes they get it wrong but the last thing I would want them to do is rush out an ill conceived 'faux K' Switch because of all the bitching.

Give them time, you all know how Nintendo works, this is the fourth Switch model now, they either do small incremental upgrades or sideways steps to appeal to other gamers like with the Switch Lite. There’s no rush for a new more powerful option, Switch has only been out four years, I don’t want a new model announced this soon.

Steam Deck isn’t an appealing machine to me precisely because of it’s half decent specs, it needs to be truly gargantuan for both cooling and bigger battery but still has a woeful run time on anything taxing, I don’t even consider something that weighs twice as much as Switch to be truly portable. Switch is something I could take with me and play on a commute but I’d only consider lugging the Steam Deck around if I was going away for a couple of days.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Anyone know how much my Switch is worth? Music Magpie will give £130 for it, it’s the update OG model and pretty much like new, all packaging is very good condition and I have all the parts, and it’s all in very good condition?
Not necessarily planning n selling it in here, just wondering if £130 was a fair price?

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Anyone know how much my Switch is worth? Music Magpie will give £130 for it, it’s the update OG model and pretty much like new, all packaging is very good condition and I have all the parts, and it’s all in very good condition?
Not necessarily planning n selling it in here, just wondering if £130 was a fair price?
Check ‘sold’ listings on eBay & see how much CEX website is offering to buy in cash for Grade A.

Captainoats

For me I can't see the benefit in the uplift price on an OLED handheld over the current. There is only so much detail you are going to see on a screen that size to really be blown area by the PQ.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
For me I can't see the benefit in the uplift price on an OLED handheld over the current. There is only so much detail you are going to see on a screen that size to really be blown area by the PQ.
Won’t even see more detail as the resolution is staying at 720p. Will just be improved colours & blacks, I would’ve thought.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
An extra inch makes a lot of difference.... quite a bit more screen real estate to view. All the hands on have commented on how much better the screen is over the OG model.

Captainoats

Won’t even see more detail as the resolution is staying at 720p. Will just be improved colours & blacks, I would’ve thought.
In that case, not worth it. But the marketing team will sell it as an OLED screen which will immediately make people think it's like a 55" LG lol

caz2005

Kinda surprised Argos has taken full payment already. It's not going to put me in the overdraft or anything but still...

Captainoats

Kinda surprised Argos has taken full payment already. It's not going to put me in the overdraft or anything but still...
Most retailers are doing this. Secure stock allocation as they need to forecast volumes to purchase and also increases their bank balance as all the interest they will earn on pre-orders is a lot especially with some of there non-uk tax benefit accounts they have (and they do).
Another is marketing as it drums up interest "i've got one secured now as I've paid for it" which then prompts another friend to think there won't be enough stock and make a purchase/order as well.

Rob20

I’m glad I didn’t wait 3 months for the OLED version. My sole regret is that I didn’t buy a Switch back in 2017 when it launched. Still, maybe the timing is right and I’m in the mood again. Either on my 65” LG OLED or just on the lcd screen I haven’t enjoyed gaming this much since the GameCube. Graphics aren’t PS5, but for me they are good enough. Music in Mario Odyssey is brilliant. Sorry, know I’m extremely late to the game but just completed Odyssey and haven’t smiled like that in ages. maybe it’s the nostalgia as first Nintendo console I had was SNES.

My 6yr old nephew just got a Switch for his birthday and I’m trying to convince my brother to get the OLED version this XMAS so we can play MK8 online. Everytime the missus/2yr old puts something on the tv it’s an excuse for some handheld gaming. Would have been nice to have the OLED screen, but i still find the LCD good enough,

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Sorry, know I’m extremely late to the game but just completed Odyssey and haven’t smiled like that in ages. maybe it’s the nostalgia as first Nintendo console I had was SNES.
Have you got Mario 3D all-stars? Mario Galaxy is as good as, if not better than Mario Odyssey :)

addyb

Distinguished Member
I sold my OG switch on ebay a few weeks ago.
OG switch, dock, flip grip, 2 extra joycons for £280

Flashy

I’m glad I didn’t wait 3 months for the OLED version. My sole regret is that I didn’t buy a Switch back in 2017 when it launched. Still, maybe the timing is right and I’m in the mood again. Either on my 65” LG OLED or just on the lcd screen I haven’t enjoyed gaming this much since the GameCube. Graphics aren’t PS5, but for me they are good enough. Music in Mario Odyssey is brilliant. Sorry, know I’m extremely late to the game but just completed Odyssey and haven’t smiled like that in ages. maybe it’s the nostalgia as first Nintendo console I had was SNES.

My 6yr old nephew just got a Switch for his birthday and I’m trying to convince my brother to get the OLED version this XMAS so we can play MK8 online. Everytime the missus/2yr old puts something on the tv it’s an excuse for some handheld gaming. Would have been nice to have the OLED screen, but i still find the LCD good enough,
If you want SNES nostalgia, get the online service. The SNES and NES games are worth the subscription price alone.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Cheers for that, that’s a pretty decent price.
Yeah, i wasn't playing on it at the time and knew i wanted the oled so thought i would sell up whilst i can still get ok money back. Will probably buy Metroid Dread and that can be the maiden game on the new toy!

Rob20

If you want SNES nostalgia, get the online service. The SNES and NES games are worth the subscription price alone.
Thanks and yes I'm enjoying it; bargain for £18: just missing a few games such as Final Fight, UN Squadron and SF2.

Never had a NES as dad said the games were too expensive and our Amiga 500 had some great games (normally under £20 from Special Reserve), with better graphics and sound. The NES looked pretty basic in comparison. I've also downloaded the odd cheap digital game; Sonic Mania, Avicii music, Streets of Rage 4 (£13.49 only), and a few other cheap ones.

Rob20

Have you got Mario 3D all-stars? Mario Galaxy is as good as, if not better than Mario Odyssey :)
Yes, it's one of the 5 carts I have, (Odyssey, 3d Allstars, MK8, Skyward Sword and BOTW). Although I do own an N64 with M64, a GC with Sunshine and a Wii with Galaxy 1&2. Quite fancied trying them sharpened up a little and via HDMI at 1080p. Shame they didn't do a proper remake with updated graphics, perhaps with the option to play them in the original guise. One of the games I enjoyed the most on GC was Resident Evil remake of the first game. Looked amazing at the time.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Smart Start offer grants access to premium TV apps
  • By Andy Bassett