Nintendo Switch OLED

BMox81

Distinguished Member
So disappointed. Wanted to retire the OG Switch to the daughters room once this got announced but a screen increase (appreciate its great for handheld players) and a bump in storage just isn’t doing it for me…

Inked

Distinguished Member
So disappointed. Wanted to retire the OG Switch to the daughters room once this got announced but a screen increase (appreciate its great for handheld players) and a bump in storage just isn’t doing it for me…
Yup, can’t say I’ll be in a rush to upgrade. Mainly play on the TV or projector rather than handheld anyway.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Yup, can’t say I’ll be in a rush to upgrade. Mainly play on the TV or projector rather than handheld anyway.
I'm the same. It's very rare I take it off the dock at all. Was really hoping for something to push it on a bit but it does look nice and I imagine that screen will be nice too. I've never felt the need for it ever to be wired either so not sure why the push for that but then again I don't really pay any multilayer games to have seen the wireless being poor.

Mensy

Distinguished Member
Seems abit pointless in my eyes unless you really want and Oled screen or dont already own a switch.

I would love an Oled screen but for £350 with no internal improvements no thanx. Il just hang fire for the switch pro or switch 2, it needs to be more powerful for me to upgrade.

Flashy

I'm happy as had no intention of upgrading and didn't want them to go down the 'New' 3DS route and have games that couldn't be played on the original console. But appreciate I'm probably in the minority.

But probably a good move from a marketing and sales perspective. Keeps it fresh, will appeal to a lot of early adopters of the Switch while not upsetting those who have come on board more recently.

Are they going to keep the standard model on sale alongside it?

Oh, and the black-and-white design does look very nice.

doubledragonxx

Whilst I appreciate Nintendo all but quashed any imminent Switch Pro / Switch 2 release this to me suggests they are in no hurry to give us the upgrade we all want. I must admit I play 95% of the time in handheld mode and whilst the OLED screen would be great it’s going to take a lot more than a new screen and stand for me to upgrade. The wait continues I guess!

Fifty

I posed the question in the general Switch thread sometime in May I think about my nervousness at buying a standard Switch and then getting buyers remorse when the 'Pro' got announced. While this seems to be that announcement, I'm not sure it offers enough to make me take the plunge when my plan is mostly docked, through the TV gaming. But then a larger, crisper screen for those handheld moments is not to be sniffed at and we don't currently have a Switch. Decisions, decisions...

SourKraut

I’ve only just bought a second-hand Switch with the improved battery, and was really annoyed that I should have waited…but with only little improvements and no 4k I’ve calmed down now.

As a noob in the Switch family, I’m really enjoying it.

Im hoping for the Switch Pro in the fall of next year 🤞

quidditys_shore

I mainly play handheld but there's not enough of a difference for me to upgrade (can't really call it that personally).

I doubt it'll happen but if there's a trade in deal to got it for max £100 then there's a strong possibility I'd get one.

For now I'm still rocking my launch day OLED VITA!

BMox81

Distinguished Member
Price is £309.99 as per the Nintendo store.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
My TV upscales to 4K anyway so not bothered about the Switch having to do it. Waste of time.

Buckster666

This seems a half hearted release from Nintendo, while the upgrades to screen, audio, kick stand and internal storage are welcome, but no CPU or GPU performance increase is baffling. If Xbox can have a 2 tier system with series S and X, Nintendo could have easily followed suit. Also the screen should have been upgraded to 1080p to allow for better mobile play.

The OG Switch has continued to sell well, so presumably Nintendo felt no need to offer signficant graphics and performance improvements - which is a shame for us as consumers, but you can see the commercial logic. They don't really try to compete head-to-head with Xbox and Playstation on technology anyway.

Rob20

I’ve only just bought a second-hand Switch with the improved battery, and was really annoyed that I should have waited…but with only little improvements and no 4k I’ve calmed down now.

As a noob in the Switch family, I’m really enjoying it.

Im hoping for the Switch Pro in the fall of next year 🤞
I just bought my Switch last week!

Then my brother sends me news of the new Switch with the larger 7" OLED screen and I had that sinking FOMO feeling. I knew there was a new Switch but I was thinking 2022. Now I'm wondering if I can return it to Argos and wait for the new one or just enjoy the one I have now.

Work is dead atm with up to 75% of the day downtime so I can use it there. At home I will play on a tv. Is it worth waiting 3+ months and pay a £30 premium. That and Argos may not take it back as it's been opened.

EDIT: white one is 'out of stock' for pre-order already. Though red/blue still available. That does it for me, I'm just going to keep the one I have and wait for the Switch 2.

Last edited:

SourKraut

@Rob20 I would just keep the one you’ve got and enjoy it. The new one isn’t that much of an upgrade imho. Hope the Switch Pro will show itself towards the end of the year or next year 🤞

Rob20

@Rob20 I would just keep the one you’ve got and enjoy it. The new one isn’t that much of an upgrade imho. Hope the Switch Pro will show itself towards the end of the year or next year 🤞
Thanks. I know you are right. Just shows how brainwashed I am that the thought of having a slightly inferior screen makes me anxious almost! Would be different if I were playing handheld exclusively. It's not as if the 6.2" LCD is bad either. I was pleasantly surprised.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
I showed the wife the OLED Switch and we were talking about the pros/cons and was shocked that she was more “Pro” about it than I was….

She merely said, “How about we just wrap up the OG Switch and give it to Child 1 for Christmas?”

I was like ok…?

Clearly playing Jedi mind tricks on me….

hippo99

Distinguished Member
I showed the wife the OLED Switch and we were talking about the pros/cons and was shocked that she was more “Pro” about it than I was….

She merely said, “How about we just wrap up the OG Switch and give it to Child 1 for Christmas?”

I was like ok…?

Clearly playing Jedi mind tricks on me….
Remember that time when I let you have an OLED Switch? Well there’s these shoes/handbag etc that I...🤣

Buckster666

I can see Nintendo phasing out the OG switch, and this become the default model

hippo99

Distinguished Member
I can see Nintendo phasing out the OG switch, and this become the default model
Hard to say. There’s ~£50 price premium between the models. Not sure it does anything to help attract late adopters having the only (docked) model being £50 more expensive than it’s been for the last 4 years.

Sony also didn’t phase out the PS4 when the PS4 Pro came out, & kept the 2 different price points for different types of consumer to hop on.

Pillow Lover

Distinguished Member
Call me shallow, but the black and white will go nicely with my PS5…

Rob20

Perhaps they should do a lite version OLED or one without the dock!?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 4th August 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros